Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a BE license to tow a caravan?

• 01-06-2022 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Just purchased a 5 berth caravan.

Do I require an additional category on my driving license, BE category, which requires a test?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Not automatically, no.

On the standard B license you are permitted to tow a combined max gross train weight of 3,500kg. This is the maximum permissible weight of your car and the max permissible weight of your caravan (regardless of their actual weight).

Most standard caravans have a max permissible weight of 1,500kg or so, so if you're tow vehicle has a max gross vehicle weight of <2,000kg you should be good.

Post up the specific model and vehicle you have if you need more specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 topofthewind

As stated by Alkers, probably not.

There are 4 weights that a caravan tower has to adhere to on a B licence.

The first is the 3,500kg maximum combined weight (includes caravan, towing vehicle and cargo afaik). A very heavy towing vehicle could work against you for this.

The second weight you need to adhere to is what the car manufacturer says the vehicle can tow. Check this as some cars are not strong enough for some caravans.

The third weight to check is the amount the caravan can be loaded with. Mine is very low at 200kg. I put heavier stuff in the car.

The fourth one is the towbar down weight limit. Some cars only allow 65kg where 80 to 90kg is recommended fir some caravans. Getting this right is important in order to avoid “snaking” and for stability and steering.

With a B licence, a large single axle caravan towed by a good sized car or SUV should work. I found this site very helpful for matching caravan to car while staying below 3,500kg. https://towcar.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

What is your towing rig and what weight is the caravan? This needs to be in proportion.

Just to note it is the permissible weight of the vehicles (IE the plated weights) that is relevant. So it doesn't matter if the caravan is completely empty or not.

Overloading a vehicle or trailer above its maximum permissible weight, is a seperate issue and can be quite a significant offence.

Ok I wasn’t sure about that. So for example a towcar weighing 1,700kg can pull a caravan plated empty at 1800kg?

Only concern I’d have there is that my caravan plate also has a max. loaded plated weight, say 2,000kg for the example’s sake. You’re sure that is ok on a B licence? It’s total plated weight with car might be read as 3,700kg?

• Advertisement

The plated weight is the maximum permissible weight, i.e. the most weight you're permitted to put into the car / trailer. It is this weight that is relevant at all times, regardless of whether the car/trailer is below this (i.e. it's empty) or above it (in which case you would be prosecuted for overloading a vehicle).

Otherwise people with car licences would be able to drive lorries that were empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

Great information.

My vehicle is actually a VW T5 camper. I presume it's heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

2 ton according to Mr Google. So caravan max will be 1500kg.. Mr Google says a5 berth could be between 1300 and 1800.... So you could be borderline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

I suppose the follow up question is, "so what?"

What are the possible ramifications of driving over the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

What engine in the t5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

You're effectively driving without a licence.

Your insurance would be invalidated, you could be banned from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

There are none, as long as you're not stopped and weighed or you have an accident where all the particulars are accounted for in the event of a fatality or major accident then you have nothing to worry about

You don't need to be weighed - they just look at the plate on your tow vehicle and trailer / caravan.

If they weigh you, it's to see if you're overloaded - which is a seperate offence. It's quite common for motorhomes to be weighed as a lot of them are plated to 3,500kg for the b license but it's easy to pack them full of things and exceed this weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Well if you murder someone and no one finds out, their are no consequences. Same logic here.

Yes, I see what you mean. So a caravan that weighs 1400kg (on the plate) with a max loaded weight of 1600kg (also on the plate) counts as 1600kg at all times for licence purposes whether loaded with the 200kg or not.

In this case, a lower load limit on the caravan (200kg) is an advantage where staying below the 3,500kg is tight. Something to watch out for when buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Does that apply to double axel caravans, I thought the towing trailer had to have a single axel

Exactly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Also, the plated max weight of a trailer (caravan) shall not exceed the plated max weight of the towing vehicle unless the towing vehicle is specifically designed for towing and not carrying a load itself, think agricultural tractor or tractor unit of an artic.

Advertisement