Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting front door & surround during build

Options
  • 01-06-2022 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are about 4 months into a full renovation and the builder is asking for the front door and surrounding frame to be fitted. The reason being he is about to put screed down for the underfloor heating. It's a handmade timber door, fully finished so we are worried about it getting damaged over the remaining 2-3 months. The front garden/cobble is also going to be replaced with new stones etc. The only positive is that access would still be available through the garage if we insisted on not using the front door.

Has anyone any experience in being in this situation before? Builder reckons I have no option but to fit it now because if the old one is left in, the surround frame will be stuck in the floor.

Or any recommendations for protection to use?

The door is something similar to this except the door itself is fully solid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Insist on not useing the front door, take the keys and dont make any exceptions.

Our door was damaged with the trades coming and going, very sorry we didnt protect it or just force them to use another entrance.

Its one of the few things I regret not doing on our new build and I have to look at it every day.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Door and surround now installed and the contractor is arguing that finishes around the frame that our builder has requested (architrave slips and a threshold board/kick board underneath the door) are additional costs - second fix joinery. We payed a lot of money for the door and separarely for the installation and I’m just left absolutely speechless with the contractor and unable to afford further overruns related to it.

Is this standard practice to leave the installation in this state? We cannot screed the floor for underfloor heating as there is nothing under the door currently.

Also from the first picture you can see the door is not flush with the wall due to the fitting set back by about 20mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

It is very important that the Builder purchases a roll of Cellophane Wrap Roll from a Builders Providers and immediately covers all the Glass and doors and door frames and window frames.

If this is not done immediately than there is a possibility that the Glass Panes and PVC will get irreparably damages.

Do not carry out this protective measure yourself.

Any Scratched glass panes and frames must be replaced by the Builder.

Prevention is always better then replacing.

Advertisement