Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England International Cricket Summer 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭VillaMad

The big thing for them is the ball getting softer which should mean that they have a decent lead but as you say they really only have Stokes and then Foakes who hasn't done too much this summer.

Ball did something all day and there even was a bit of spin for Maharaj and Harmer, so it's hard to see this match lasting too long if that continues. Apparently the Lancashire players say that Day 2 is normally the best day for batting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

One thing I’m seeing, Zak Crawley took 77 balls to amass 17 runs, he’s still there but 77 balls just two fours, a strike rate of 22.08.

an interesting stat… from both side , 15 batsmen have walked out to the middle, top score ? So far Johnny Bairstow, 38*…. Nobody even getting 40 yet, never mind a half century. Strange.

weather forecast is set sunny and fair for the remaining days of the test, chance of rain, very low.

So England 212/5 at lunch.

Nortje gave England a good deal of trouble in the first hour but Foakes and Stokes had the upper hand in the second. Spinners still getting some action from the pitch but Harmer hasn't bowled too well.

England lead by 61 and will look to try to get ahead by 150 maybe which would be a huge advantage on this pitch.

I was thinking the same, if they can get that 150 lead I’d say the victory is theirs.

Still that’s 90 more runs with really no batsmen of note, actually only tail enders to come…

Broad, Robinson, Leach & Anderson

If Stokes or Foakes get out, the remaining batsman needs to throw caution to the wind and get swinging…

18 batsmen have walked out to the crease so far in this test. Nobody has scored a 50 yet.

Ahhhh that’s ridiculously poor umpiring… massive inside edge onto pad, ball changes direction about 6 inches… yet Richard Illingworth gives it out.. shocking. An embarrassment laugh when he sees it on the big screen.

jeez Ben Stokes is playing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭nice bit of green

Funny how the same 2 teams play so differently from 1 weekend to the next. That’s the beauty of it I suppose.

Sets it nicely for a decider (assuming England don’t balls this up of course).

I wonder what Stokes rationale was for turning to Jack Leach before stumps for a few overs ? Bizarre captaincy considering his main strike bowler Anderson only bowled 2 overs.. light fading slightly, Anderson had spent the guts of two days with his feet up in the pavilion then just given two overs…? surely ideal conditions for the quicks… not as if he was turning to Muralitharan, Warne or Kumble… it’s Jack Leach ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

So much better by Stokes the batsman. He is far too good to continue throwing his wicket away like he did against NZ and India. Played himself in and then tee'd off. Good old fashioned principles today and less Bazball. Starting with Crawley eating the new ball and making life easier for the rest.

Reading that there has been plenty of criticism from writers in the Guardian and The Mail and earlier in the summer Kevin Pietersen regarding the continuing selection of Jack Leach.

Leach : 1.69 wickets per innings on average…. The number based on 28 tests, 46 bowling innings….

He is 31 years old…. He is an experienced international cricketer, he’s not going to start taking 3/4 wickets per innings regularly, what you see / have seen is what you get.

he isn’t an all rounder, he averages a shade over 13 and in those 28 tests he has ONE half century.

im not a huge fan of Mason Crane who was in the reserve squad… his county record is average but he is only gone 25 and at least he has a degree of youth…throw him in for a test or two.. he sinks or swims… better a shot then continuing with Mr. No Wickets…Jack Leach…

Broad denied a wicket because of a no ball, replay suggesting that the foot, whist not grounded, part of his heel was still behind the line of the popping crease at the point of delivery….raised is fine as per law 21.5.2

but not fine as per these absolutely clueless umpires which we, the fans, the players and cricket lovers everywhere are having to endure….. absolutely rubbish…

getting a judgement call re: a catch, lbw wrong, it happens… but not knowing the laws of the sport you are supposed to be qualified to adjudicate on…ICC need to get a grip and jettison some of these incompetents.. a blight on the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Very comfortable win, thought SA might make a better go of it 2nd innings in much more favourable conditions but were pretty poor. England bowled very well though. Still don't really understand SA decision to bat first.

All set up nicely for last Test.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Speaking of the last test… from the 8th - 12th of September. Play scheduled to start at 11.00 and finish at 18.00. From what I’m researching there is a likelihood in overcast conditions that bad light will be a factor at the tail end of the day.

wonder why they didn’t elect to start play at 10.30 to try maximise the light situation… given the time of year.

Any chance of the Pakistan tour being postponed what with the flooding?

It's definitely possible but it is still I imagine a wait and see approach that they are taking.

Big blow for England today in that Jonny Bairstow had a freak accident on the golf course and is now out of the Third Test next week against South Africa and will also miss the tour to Pakistan and the T20 World Cup.

His place next week will taken by either Harry Brook or Ben Duckett.

As for the T20 World Cup, England name their squad this morning aiming to have Bairstow and Buttler open the batting with Jason Roy completely dropped. They named an extended squad to tour Pakistan and the fight to replace Bairstow will probably be between Phil Salt and Will Jacks.

Yeah Bairstow out is a bit of a shocker. Massive player for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Shame for Bairstow particularly with the great form he's in. Cricketers find weird ways of hurting themselves.

Apparently it was entirely innocent and he just slipped. Let’s hope he wasn’t hit by a golf buggy driven by a drunken team mate.

A particular Aussies inability to play football helped England win the Ashes 😃.

I know golf is in general a relaxing sport but driving a wood off a tee and associated exertion on the body over 18 holes of play and 80 plus shots… it’s certainly physically impactful… I know it was an unlucky fall and not during play ( so we’ve been told ) but should he have been there in the first place is what I’d be asking if I’m Brendon McCullum…

Was looking forward to this test, until I saw the weather forecast …

First two days look bleak.

• Advertisement

The oval pitch has a habit of deteriorating on the later half of day 4 into day 5 so the toss will be important. The average 1st innings score at this ground is 347 runs, whereas the average 4th innings score is just 157 runs…. Some difference…Win the toss and bat id have thought but on winning England choice is to bowl. ! 🦇

James Anderson is the 2nd highest wicket taker ever on this ground.

Rain as forecasted….

must say I agree with this sentiment…

There was talk (on the internet, so could also be b*llocks) Clare Connor didn't want to continue on at the ECB because of a disregard for red ball cricket from a lot of the bigwigs. It'd be a shame if a very good summer of Test cricket for England (entertainment and profile wise) ended with a whimper.

Could be some truth in it. The ECB are certainly not backing test cricket.

on the other hand Connor’s position was as CEO… so the prime position in which to exert leadership and influence… she was the #1…..so deciding what’s best for the game and cricket lovers should have and should be paramount.

It seems she either didn’t have the stomach for the fight or is she did, there just were too many dissenting voices…

problem with T20 is that it’s a low investment proposition on behalf of supporters. Low investment as regards their time and £££. Has greater appreciation and appeal to families and younger kids..

Lancashire vs Essex blast quarter final…Adult tickets were for only £12 and £1 for kids when purchased in advance….

As for this test…1.30pm pitch inspection , forecast improved slightly but still some further rain forecast.

another fûck up was the outfield not being covered properly overnight and a substantial cleanup required..

16.00 inspection and on Q the heavens opened in Kennington at 16.03…

Throughout the afternoon the forecast for the remaining days has slightly dis-improved with more rain now forecast tomorrow.

So now confirmed by the ECB as a 3 day test match due to the death of their Queen and the fact SA are flying home on Tuesday.

basically a cop out decision…. ‘Respect for her majesty’ I’m sure will be a line thrown out but what about respect for people, the living who spent their hard earned money procuring tickets ?

how many test matches are decided within 3 days play ? The answer must be in the lower single digit percentages.

so the players are playing for an inevitable draw. Every cricket supporter can tune in knowing the result…great and pay for match tickets knowing the same…

what the ECB should have done was make it an innings each…

4 innings in 3 days just won’t bring about a result….tokenism at its worst.

3 day test match it may be, but you also have to take into account that the previous two test matches finished well inside 3 days of play in terms of overs.

And indeed South Africa have batted like a team that won't last 3 days. England have been all over them and they are struggling at 110/9 and we aren't even close to being halfway through the day.

Maybe, hopefully...but considering the ‘maybe’ aspect of it…

when play resumes shortly, what we are waiting for now is anyones guess, a suggestion the SA team may ask as they are entitled to.. to have the rope dragged across the outfield to remove excess moisture…to delay the resumption further ..play to resume at 18.30

and yep, rope comes out..

and SA in no hurry to get bowling, PLAY !

Brook goes early… caught at long leg… a poor delivery but a poor shot.. should just have played it along the deck. Would have gotten two runs. Instead it’s a gentle walk back to the dressing rooms..

England extinguish the lead…

Pope going very well.

All summer long the ball has gone dead around the 40 over mark, so it's strange to me to see this ultra aggresive approach from England as runs will come so much easier later on.

Stokes played brain dead stuff there and now Pope gone as well.

Game most definitely on!

• Advertisement

Michael Atherton summing up my own thinking… why the hell the ECB, ICC or both didn’t require the start of play at 10.30… ? seems like an incredibly frustration inducing incompetence.

Ward, Nasser and Butcher apoplectic and querying the same, why no earlier start ? September 10th ? Come on !

as regards the action we’ve seen, I’d say the English would be delighted with a lead of 100.

Advertisement