Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,883 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Or he is just like O'Dea and Chambers in FF and has a different view than the leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Maybe so. Hopefully Mary Lou will clarify so as to avoid confusion amongst the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

By anti shinners, you mean the folks that want Ireland to still have an economy after the general election?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not the first time someone has had that thought. A man to keep a close eye on, a bit like Conor Murphy, has the in with the lads.

So just like Lisbon and Nice? A different referendum?

Or are they running it again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

"We reached an unbalanced position"

Odd admission for a pol

Or just maybe he said 'on-balance position'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I see MacManus voted against the criminalisation of attempting to circumvent sanctions against Russia for their invasion of Ukraine. I wouldn’t mind the other 3 yahoos, but do we have to presume this is the SF position?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i mean the same usual crowd we find on boards who hate SF so much they ironically give them more airtime and even actual SF supporters. You know, the ones for some reason just couldnt stand the idea of SF in govn and instead resort to gossip and hearsay - plus really bad interpretations of statements - to denigrate the party as much as they can. In the process, as I say, talking about the party they hate moreso than any other party.

SF in government are an unknown - thats the fact. If you even think of the north, then you need to educate yourself on what Stormont is in comparison to the Dail. Becuase they are an unknown, you have nothing to back you cynicism up with.

I didnt mention the north. I"ve no interest in it.

My point about the folks wanting Ireland to have an economy after the GE still stands.

The part you keep missing is that SF dont have any mapped out or costed proposals.

Yet you still have this blind faith in them.

Maybe you missed when I mentioned it, or when SF said it, but MLMD advised that wording should be sent back to the CA. Her actual words where “We would return to the Citizens’ Assembly wording, that's what should be happening now and if this is not successful, that's where we will bring that,” but I cant find any direct quote from her promising to re-run it. Plenty of papers pushing that idea - but has anyone got the actual quote itself?

Lisbon and Nice were basically the same deal presented twice weren't they. Could you say the immigration problem began then, as we were promising to expand the eu and let loads of people live here? That was one of the issues SF had at the time with Nice

• Advertisement

I think he just goes straight to the truth and doesnt bother with the media pretend bullshit that the likes of the indo prints. They have no intention of running a referendum because they never decided they would. full stop.

Interesting that you position Sinn Fein as anti-immigration.

They the same 'folk' who quickly rehabilitated FF and ushered them back into government? We have a FF MoF at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭blackwhite

They had never decided that they would re-run it - except for when Mary Lou stated that she would re-run it?

Here's an article written by a journalist who has canvassed for Sinn Féin in the past - is that "media pretend bullshit" too?

Was Mary Lou lying when she said that a Sinn Féin Government would re-run the referenda, using the Citizen's Assembly wordings, early in the lifetime of their Government.

The Dublin Central TD said she as Taoiseach would look to run the referendums again should they fail and it would be "her ambition" that such a repeat of the referendums would happen early in the party's term in government if elected.

Why post such easily proven lies time and again?

Having seen the scale of the "no" vote, Sinn Fein are slipping into the hedge like Homer Simpson, pretending they never made the pledge to re-run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes the people on boards who run multiple accounts, up to 10 by one person before they got caught.

Or running multiple accounts at the same time so they can agree with themselves.

Or using PM to gather others to thread's etc

Is that the SF supporters you are talking about that seemingly give less airtime than others? 😂

What di Mary Lou say on them again?

This is a Sinn Fein thread, so naturally it will be a discussion on Sinn Fein, boards has thousands of thread, only a few on Sinn fein so easy to dodge them if you don't want to

Sinn Fein are well known in government. That's a fact. We all know about Northern ireland and the excuses don't wash. The excuses are long and winding with Sinn Fein, I think we can all agree that is a fact. Incompetence is what the party is good at

The referendums have fall out for most parties, look at FF, was there any of them actually in favour before the vote? I think SF are no different.

They did spot that the government messaging and wording was all wrong. But I think with the weight of the No votes the decision not to run another one is wise.

Good to see a party than can change it's mind. It's a pity the government parties weren't able to and change to the wording that the CA wanted.

well then they are an unknown quality as of yet. Costed proposals? their alternative budget every year is as realistic as they can make it, outside of being in government. Plenty more than any other party comes up with, regardless of how you term 'costed', so yes - Ive a lot more faith in them than the eejits people have been voting in for the past few decades. Look at the state of the place. Anyone who has voted FF or FG over the years should be ashamed

i couldnt care less how has multiple accounts- im pretty sure there still are a few around who have more than one account and they wouldnt be ont he shinner side.

Stipr out the waffle from you post and what have we? Hmmm. ... not much left when the whataboutery is taken out. Lets see ... "sinn fien are well know in government ...Northern Ireland" - well, I did say you get there eventually. A few posts ago BlueSkyDream hadnt mentioned northern ireland and SF and then you bounce along and come up with exactly what I was saying people without much an idea of different stormont and the dial are, keep coming out with. Perfect timing to prove my point!

people were voting No because of fears of 'them foreigners' bringing over families - all down to the terrible wording the government wouldnt change. How the hell are you blaming that on SF? In saying that, nearly every shinner I know voted no because the vagueness. I dont think SF should have backed a Yes vote at all, but their hearts were in it. I know people who couldn't inherit anything from their partner as they werent married (the family had first priority) - issues like that would have been fixed with a Yes vote - but the wishy washy wording that was used, how'd anyone expect that to pass? Big failure on the governments part (again).

Pretty desperate though to be thinking its any skin of SF's nose. Have you found me Mary Lou saying the actual words that SF will re-run the referendum again, as is with no changes? Its just gossip in here by the looks of it. I remember the politics forum had a bit of teeth as you used to have to back up you claims. Nowadays a headline off the Indo seems good enough. Very boring.

• Advertisement

try reading the article. what she said was SF would return the wording to the CA. That in itself is the opposite of rerunning the referendum. The government ignored the CA's suggestion of wording. what people were asked to change was wrong, and needs to be looked at and the correct wording found, as there are issues affecting carers and families that needs addressing. she did say her ambition would be to re-run it with new wording. two things there - one is 'her ambition' - which isnt a SF decision. secondly, if it was re-ran, it would be with different wording, so it certainly would not be presenting the same choice again to the public.

Its really childish carryon to be honest. its obvious to see what the woman was saying, but again - lets bring in some drama, a bit of misrepresentation and sure enough theres enough around to believe it.

As a filthy left winger who would hold my nose and vote Sinn Féin, Sinn Féin stand for nothing.

Sadly, a vote for Sinn Féin is little more than an anti-Fine Gael/Fianna Fáil for me.

And SF cant form a govt without FF anyway, so, you would still be advocating a FF govt.

What aspects of SFs alternative budget do you think are workable and costed correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

BlueSkyDream was responding to you, not me

Sinn Fein are well known for incompetence in Northern Ireland, just because Sinn Fein supporters know how terrible they are in Northern Ireland and want everyone to discount that doesn't really work.

Also in regards to their alternative budget, well it had to be pulled because they made mistakes in it. Incompetence.

Are we going back to posting about fear?

Sinn Fein are well known for incompetence in Northern Ireland,

Can you itemise this claim?

It is not...

How would SF form a govt without FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,091 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As it stands, and as its unlikely to change very much at this stage, SF simply cannot form a government without either FF or FG. It is impossible.

And so that makes an FG/FF led government, with different partners, the most likely outcome for the next 5 years.

• Advertisement

If like last time SF finish as largest/most popular party and form a coalition it will be a 'SF led' government.

Advertisement