Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re trimming hedge on boundary

Options
  • 03-06-2022 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a privet hedge in front garden along the boundary with neighbours but entirely in my property.

In the past I have trimmed the side facing their garden (and the top) by going into neighbour’s garden. Unfortunately circumstances with my neighbour make this very awkward at the moment and I don’t want to approach them about it or enter their property (long story…).

If I trim the top of the hedge from my side (ignoring their side) and some of f the trimmings end up on their driveway what is the situation legally re collecting the trimmings/tidying up. I would hope that none drop into their garden but obviously I can’t say 100% that this won’t happen.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If things are so bad that you don't even want to drop a note offering to collect trimmings then just trim carefully and leave it.

Trespass is unlikely to improve relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you trim there side then you are doing them a favour. Have things developed so badly they won't even except a freebie?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

They'll probably have to trim their side of the hedge themselves now by default and can throw the clippings back in to your side anyway,is their a low wall between ye that the hedge is up against,a low hedge is easier to trim on top and you have more control of the cuttings from dropping into their side.

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Job done. I tackled it from my side.

Yeah - it’s a low wall. Hedge is chest height at their side and about head height on mine due to a change in level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Have come across a few cases now where after years of both neighbours trimming their own sides, one neighbour is replaced by new owners who then demand that their side is done by the other. All of the benefit and none of the responsibility or cost.

Sad reflection of the way things have gone.

Btw if the neighbour trims their side they don't have the right to just chuck the trimmings over, they should be 'offered', though it's one of those things which is hardly enforceable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement