Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's wrong with grass "going to seed" ?

• 04-06-2022 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

I'm making silage soon.

The seed and stalk has appeared on the grass. Advisor mentioned weeks ago not to let the grass "go to seed". I asked why and be said something about the energy going into the root.

What is the issue with cutting silage after the grass has gone to seed?

Are there any benefits?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If you let it go to seed, the COOPS can't sell you seed at €65 a bag. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The quality can go out of it and your cattle won't grow as much in the shed.

A fine trade off between quality and quantity.

I think you can still have decent stuff up to this weekend, that said I have planted late heading grass and the sheep had it as bare as the road in mid April.

If you have fine continental cattle they need good stuff at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The stem toughens to support seed heads.. Plant energy is diverted from roots and leaves into the seeds

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

The leaves on the plant also wither and rot leaving you just with stem and seed head. The problem here is the nutritional value is rapidly decreasing so you will need to compensate by buying more meal during housing to ensure the correct daily weight gain of your animals.

Some seed is fine and often unavoidable with first cut silage but always go for quality over quantity and get it cut as soon as you can.

Advertisement