Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Structural engineer to advice on I Beams

• 04-06-2022 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What qualifications should I look when dealing with a Structural Engineer for I beams advice, at a minimum? and as a nice to have?

Also, what he should he provide the builder with?

So if he says:

Beam: 254 * 254 * 73 Universal Column with 310 wide 15 mm flat plate steel to top flange bearing full on top of main rear wall support beam. Via email. Is that enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

S/he should be CEng.

Whether the above is enough detail or not depends on the use case and if other information was already provided tbh.

A 254x73UC with a 15mm plate is a very heavy piece of steelwork though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Thanks so much. You mean Chartered Engineer? What does that entail and how can I double check they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Chartered engineer yes. It means they have demonstrated experience and competence. You can check that an engineer is chartered by searching the register of members on the engineers Ireland website.

Not every engineer is chartered though, and that's not a problem. Unchartered engineers typically work under the supervision of chartered engineers. It's a chartered engineer that you typically engage though as they have the necessary ability to sign off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Beam: 254 * 254 * 73 Universal Column with 310 wide 15 mm flat plate steel to top flange bearing full on top of main rear wall support beam." - that might be enough, however it would be important for the builder to know the details of how it is attached and how things are attached to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You will be paying a fair whack for the service so I would expect your engineer to produce a drawing specifying beam details and specifying details of bearing and whether there is any fixings required at the bearing point.

I would also expect Engineer to detail how the beam then carries it's load. It is designed to carrying uniform load only or is the load require to be symmetrical on the beam etc.

You will require certification for it also.

• Advertisement

Is there any site where I can get an idea if the cost of what he is proposing?

A UK steel supplier has 6m long 254 UC73 unpainted and without any work such as plate etc for 540 plus vat sterling.

The same beam galvanized is over 1000 sterling plus vat.

You guy is proposing a heavy steel plate which would amount to possible half the weight of the beam extra plus welding etc, so you could probably double the figures above.

I presume it's standard for them to be galvanised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No. Wholesale steel is bought in lengths, bare with a slightly rusty finish. If you need welding, holes for bolts, shot blasting, painting, etc. that is all typical, but costs extra. Structural steel in domestic construction would be more likely to be painted than galvanised.

It is the exposed items like balconies that would be galvanised.

Very interesting. What about a corner window which uses a steel beam at the corner? I guess that is painted and galvanised?

• Advertisement

Yes galvanized for corner windows due to possible exposure even though they have a flashing to cover pole externally. Lintel part of it will be semi exposed anyway.

Advertisement