Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer EFL / EAL teaching

Options
  • 05-06-2022 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hello, I have a few weeks spare over the summer and I wouldn't mind doing some EFL teaching, ideally to adult learners but I'd also teach teenagers. I am a qualified secondary teacher with the CELTA and I taught EFL for a number of years, including at a university, but not recently.

I know I'll be fleeced after tax but it's just to really get back into the EFL teaching. I see a lot of schools are recruiting but the rates of pay vary wildly from €15 to €30 plus per hour. I'd love to hear from regular EFL teachers as to what I should expect to earn and if they have any advice for me when applying for jobs. I'm based near Dublin.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Can you get in with a school/college/university?

I find the EAL schools awful to deal with. For what they pay and considering the contracts are very short, their interviews are some of the hardest I have ever done

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Hi thanks so much for the reply. I did teach for one summer at a language school belonging to a well known university in Dublin about 7 years ago now and the pay and conditions were awful then.

I know a definite earner is the pre-sessional courses at universities, particularly in the UK but I wouldn't be in a position to commit to a 6 or 8 week stint.

I was also thinking about possible government funded programmes which teach English? But agreed the money in a lot of language schools is dire after tax!

Post edited by williaint on

Advertisement