Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a new career in Accounting - What's best?

Options
  • 05-06-2022 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am considering a career change and I am interested in Accounting, and if its possible to stay in my current job (not accounting related) while studying, or is working in the field while studying a must? Basically, what id be looking at getting myself into with it.

I am looking for recommendations on good routes to do so.

I have no prior qualifications in the area. I have spotted an ACCA course here https://springboardcourses.ie/details/10484 but not sure if this is a good starting point and what are the next steps I would be looking at after then. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭thefa

Just on working in the field, I don’t think it is essential at the early stages to be working in the field. In reality, many of those working in accountancy in their early careers are completing work which has little connection to exam content.

Especially if it is an area that you are interested in rather than completely sure of. May have difficulty getting a job in the field with no qualification when there’s a fair bit of competition for entry level jobs. Maybe seeing how you get on with some study while maintaining you’re current job will give you a good impression of the next steps to take.

Can’t comment on the course itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭treenytru

Hi OP,

I was in a similar position to yourself in 2018. I was working in education but at 30 wanted a change and a role where I saw more progression and a sector with opportunities outside of Dublin (hope to buy a house one day!)

I studied accounting at secondary school but didn't have any experience post school. I signed up for the course you linked and had a great experience with PAT and wouldn't think twice to highly recommend the school and lecturers. My classmates were of all ages, all walks of life and many were complete beginners - in fact the school provided us with a few extra weeks of tuition in semester 1 as we needed some extra time building our foundational knowledge.

I worked full time in education while completing the 1st year (F1-F3 ACCA exams). When I signed up for the course I thought I'd take things as they come and just continue with the study as long as I enjoyed it. I'm now working full time in an accountancy practice with just 2 professional exams to go until I'm fully qualified.

In my second year (with PAT via springboard - completing ACCA exams F4-F6) I left my job in education and took up an unpaid internship in the practice I'm now full time in. I think some real life experience helps in the exams - especially f7-f9 but it's absolutely not a pre-requisite. Actually for me , it was just a personal decision to leave my previous job when I did and I also wanted some experience working with the various accountancy software packages out there.

I spent 3 years in total (ACCA exams F1-F9) with PAT via springboard, passing all exams with their help 1st time. The professional exams aren't funded so I'm completing them via self study but will probably go back to PAT to take a course for Advanced Tax next year.

If you've any further questions specifically about the course/school feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Evelynmc

Bit of a delay but thanks :D I actually started with PAT last month!

Advertisement