Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunflower Advice

Options
  • 05-06-2022 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hi all

The little one has put a lot of effort into watering her sunflower she got in school. It’s growing very well but noticed today that 2 leaves don’t look healthy.

any advice on what I should do? It’s been kept on the window fill on a warm south-east facing room. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

This can happen with too much heat. They may need a feed also. That pot looks very small and with very little compost in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Needs to be repoted, sunflowers grow fast and need plenty of water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thanks all.

Ill repot it into the larger pot.

few novice questions

• just normal compost?
    • how do you feed it?
    • how much water is required daily?
    • Where should I situate it?

thanks again

Multi purpose compost is fine. Don't water daily. Twice a week should be enough.

Personally, I'd plant it outdoors. I've never seen decent ones indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is the green pot the proposed pot? Does it have a hole in the bottom?

Yes just the normal stuff you get in a bag, suggest you mix a bit of soil through it to help stop it from drying into a lump. Be sure and water the plant before transplanting it, give it an hour to soak through.

Any sort of flowering plant food - baby bio or rose feed or whatever you have. Whats in the commercial compost will do initially, maybe feed after a couple of weeks. Feeding depends on what you use, check the pack. Maybe every couple of weeks, they are greedy plants but if you overdo it it could grow 'soft' and not able to support itself.

Let it dry out, just, then water it, probably once a week.

It would be better outside provided there is not a gale blowing, find a sunny, sheltered spot probably beside a wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi all

advice followed.

repotted. Compost mixed with soil. miracle grow added. Put outside beside a wall

how should I progress. Thanks all.

@karlitob

That's it. Keep it watered, feed occasionally and stake it if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Move it a few inches from that metal bar, push a cane in firmly then make a figure of 8 round the bar and the cane with twine. Fasten the sunflower to the cane by tying soft string tightly to the cane then loosely round the stem. If you leave it where it is it will wear the stem through from rubbing on the bar. Keep an eye on it so the tie doesn't get too tight on the stem as it grows.

Advertisement