Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have a street-facing large window. Any suggestions for window films/protection for privacy?

• 05-06-2022 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello all,

I realised a few days ago that pretty much all my kitchen is visible from my street. And people are definitely looking 😂

My wife was talking about adding some films on the window. Is there any film / window protection that would enable us to look from the inside but bar vision from the outside ?

So far in my research I have only seen films that mask both sides, but we ideally still would like to be able to look at outside from our home

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

How far away are the people from the windows? Some refective films may work, but not if they are waking right past the window ie a meter away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Never thought I'd be saying this but...net curtains ftw!

I second the suggestion of getting Net curtains I recently moved into a new place that has the bedroom at the front right next to a footpath. I've checked the net blinds from the outside and you definitely can't see in at least during the day.

The benefit of these blinds over a window film is in my opinion, they are easier to fit with window film. If you're not careful applying it, you can end up with ugly air bubbles. Also you are stuck with them on your window so if you need more light then You're only option is to remove the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ceirseach

Google "Top Down Bottom Up blinds". Pricey. Not sure if suitable for kitchen if cooking moisture/grease is an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

These mirrored ones are what I found when looking up the same issue.

You can see out, outside (brighter) sees the mirror effect). Applied to the inside of the windows.

Only work in daytime, at night the inside is mirrored and people will be able to see straight in!

Bear in mind, mirror tints also reflect sun out of the room, so can reduce the benefit of solar gain in the room/house,

I can't put them in my place as my landlord doesn't like them, so I'm using several voile panels on each window but even so, when people are a meter away from your window the voiles do feck all!

I keep the blinds down half the time 😓😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 TravisM269

To be honest, I have never heard of a window film that is used to block out visibility from the outside but lets you see from the inside. Instead, you might have to look at window blinds. There are a variety of blinds available on the market that you can choose from, but I would suggest you use cordless blinds. They are convenient and easy to use. You can even attach them easily to glass doors, which is a big plus point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm currently sitting in work behind windows that have some sort of mirror film on them - I can see out perfectly, but in daylight you absolutely cannot see in (once it's darker outside than in and you turn a light on, you can see in).

I was not involved in the fitting of it, so I've no idea what it is - but it's definitely available and works in daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

I have use Contra Vision on a commercial window. Advertising sign on the outside but totally see through from the inside. It's available for residential too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

Or use one of the several window films already suggested on this thread that block out visibility from the outside and let you see out from inside 😄

Advertisement