Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

But you love getting beaten by Luxembourg, drawing at home to Azerbaijan, out of qualifying tournaments after the second match. . . . and I bet you enjoyed the 1-0 victory over Germany in 2016.

Why don't you go and support Stephen Kenny at some other League of Ireland club?

Because that's what you'll be doing shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Scratch that! I think the thread has been deleted, I can't tell cause I've got a 2 week ban from the soccer forum. Apparently, starting a thread making suggestions for a new manager is a bannable offence. 'Anti Kenny posting' is the reason given by the mod. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

Oh are you one of those Giggsy and Scholesy posters on the wall Irish superfans that hate the club game here?

Tel me, do the barstoolers wear poppies too?

I wouldn't know. I don't support any English team or Scottish team for that matter.

By your childish and juvenile name-calling you reveal what the rest of us know - It's not Ireland you support, it's Stephen Kenny. Maybe if the standard of football in the League of Ireland was not so poor then you wouldn't feel the need to call people names.

One thing for certain is we'll qualify for nothing with SK as manager. . . which fortunately won't be for too long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

People seem to forget that every time after we qualified (twice in 20 years) we went to absolute shite after due to the papering over cracks mentality and short term thinking from the managers we got in.

Trapp in 2012, before you argue that we got the finalists in our group etc, look at the manner of the defeats. He spent years drilling us to be a difficult team to beat then we conceded a host of soft goals when it actually mattered. The wheels fell off then.

MON got us to the last 16 in 2016, there was a huge amount of fortune involved in that journey. Really the writing was on the while of what we were like as a team when Belgium obliterated us. Luckily, best place 3rd was a thing, and Italy had already qualified. Then the wheels fell off.

There has to be long term thinking involved, the pints and craic are nice when we do very rarely qualify, but I'd like to see us actually build on tournament experiences rather than them destroying the confidence of the team.

• Advertisement

I put that poster on ignore, I'd strongly advise it! But if you quote him I can unfortunately read his posts. I have to say, it is quite funny though, watching members of the Kenny cult in tears because their king has been exposed as a fraud. 🤣 Expect more childish rants up until Kenny is finally removed and probably for some time after.

You want to talk about destroying the confidence of the team? How about all our good young players been brought into a set up that has a losing culture. Here's a breakdown of Kenny's reign:

Failure 1: Had a great chance to get a new manager bounce and qualify for Euro 2020 but lost to a depleted Slovakia team.

Failure 2: Only scored 1 goal and nearly came bottom of his first Nation's League group coming miles behind Wales and Finland.

Failure 3: Got effectively knocked out of World Cup qualification after 2 matches by losing to Luxembourg, came miles behind Serbia and Portugal.

Failure 4: Struggled past Armenia at home after losing away to avoid coming bottom of his second Nation's League, way behind Scotland and Ukraine.

Failure 5: Got effectively knocked out of Euro 2024 qualification after 2 matches by losing to Greece. Sitting just above Gibraltar, miles off the top 3.

Failure 6: Previous results, especially his second Nation's League have made it almost impossible to get a playoff for the Euros.

The confidence of our players is in bits.

Well despite your halfwitted ramblings you'll see that I haven't once said that Kenny is the right man for the job.

But those advocating for a return to the approach of the last 20 years are as equally deluded.

What's with the abuse? You claimed Kenny had done some decent work, the facts I presented destroys that view. Can you defend Kenny's reign on its own merits without reverting to the past? Or without throwing out insults?

The "rest of us"...😂😂

Is that what your gang of 3 or 4 posters sneering at the Irish club game on an anonymous forum is?

As for childish and juvenile name calling, I see you have no problem with posts about cults and LoI fanboys, posters wetting their pants and saying those with different opinions are liars while their own opinions are facts, and thinking they're Irish superfans. When you debate at that level, don't get all huffy when you're stuck in with the poppy waving barstoolers who love their Giggsy and sing about bindippers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Boards doing it's best to prove the point of the OP.

No thread permitted to discuss the next potential new Irish manager!

Has anyone ever heard the like? You would swear it is going to upset Kenny or cause a spilt in the Irish camp or something? It has to be the funniest reaction to a thread I have seen in a long time.

I honestly thought it was a wind up at first. You would think such a thread would free up non manager related discussion in the main thread?

What harm is there in discussion of a potential new manager?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

There could be a good debate.

But from the off here, it's clear it was largely an excuse for some to get digs in about cults, liars, LoI fanboys etc. I presume it was a sort of revenge of the barstoolers, mocked for decades because they decided to follow some successful English club and then paraded this as if they grew up in Toxteth or Salford and could bask in the glory of a PL win against Fulham or Barnsley. That will never spark a good debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Charlton : WC x 2, Euros x1

McCarthy : WC x1

O’Neill : Euros x1

Kenny…. Almost 4 years managing Ireland now… under his management we’ve won 10 matches out of 36. Qualified for nothing , our win & loss rate under him….

Win 27.78%

Loss 41.67 %

not good enough. There is ZERO to be gained or achieved by keeping him as Ireland manager. It’s not down to his lack of effort or application… it’s his lack of ability, know how and experience at this level, or at any professional level. He doesn’t have the necessary ability or skillsets to succeed.

with every match that passes his record and reputation is getting worse…

people criticised John Delaney but he at least was pro active, accessible and not shy in acting when required.

this Gerry McAnaney fella doesn’t seem to have much about him at all. Almost invisible.

I'd take "invisible" over James Bond themed parties with handgun ice sculptures. That's without even mentioning destroying Irish football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

I thought there is big crossover between PL fanhood and LOI fanhood? That is my impression based on soccer fans I've met, could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Curse These Metal Hands

Trapp in 2012, before you argue that we got the finalists in our group etc, look at the manner of the defeats. He spent years drilling us to be a difficult team to beat then we conceded a host of soft goals when it actually mattered. The wheels fell off then.

I remember after the first defeat to Croatia 3-1, Trap basically went into the press conference and said that the team had failed to do what he'd told them to, and that was the reason why they lost.

Now, I've no issue with Trap having thought that and, indeed, it does come down to the players on the pitch at the end of the day, but you don't say that kind of thing in public because it looks like you're trying to divest yourself of all responsibility and it creates the impression that there is discord in the ranks. Bad vibes all around, in short.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well I don't follow one of those British super clubs/brands or whatever you want to call them.

The Barclay's PL had two different adverts one for those not from England.

'Long distance relationships are the hardest' was the slogan.

And another for those from England - completely different spin on it.

'To follow is to love'

It seems very cynical to me. Most 'Irish' supporters of EPL teams seem to fool themselves that they are local like the English, and not just foreigners following an English brand like the Africans, Asians or Americans.

As regard the LOI fans I would regard them as 'proper fans' 'proper community' - I am more into GAA but I know a proper fan when I see one. Like that local auld fella in that advert above.

That is why I would never use the term 'LOI fanboy' etc that is really insulting on so many levels.

But my theory is it is not the LOI fans that are driving the defence of Kenny - it is the media driving the defence of Kenny, influencing a section of the Ireland fanbase. And now they don't know how to backtrack from it.

It can't be just LOI supporters that are defending Kenny, because unfortunately there are not many of them in comparison to lads who only support the big British teams.

I would like to see a poll on the age group of people who support Kenny to the hilt - I am convinced it is a generational thing. Mostly lads in their 20's/30's who were in primary school/secondary school when the 2016 euros was on?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Lots of media especially newstalk lot are backing Kenny because it suits them

They fear A new manager based in the UK who cares little for the media only to use it for their own benefit and who has no interest in the Irish league

Why should the national team manager be concerned with the Irish League?

Players playing in that league won't win international matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why does this have to be explained?

The L of Ireland is the place where many of the Irish players playing in the English leagues are taken from. Its where they get their first taste of senior football. Of course an Irish manager will and should have an interest in it.

• Advertisement

This is just not the case. Very few of the best players to have played for Ireland have played in the League of Ireland or, if they had, they had very limited time there before going to England or elsewhere. The majority of transfers from the LoI do not go to Premier League or Championship clubs.

League of Ireland level is probable bottom of League 1-Top of League 2 in England. It makes sense to monitor the progress of players AFTER they've left for England or elsewhere with it dependent on how much playing time they're receiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Simple really. Kenny and the irish media need eachother. He needs to keep them onside because he knows he will end up back in some dump like the brandywell or oriel pk and will be at their mercy there. The irish media especially fanboys like OTB love they have access to him and the setup. A proper manager wouldnt give them that.

Its amateur hour with the irish football team. Humiliating stuff when you look at the goys possibly going to do some serious damage the world cup.

We have this bumbling manager with zero standards. Zero appetite to win. How the hell is he happy not winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

1 win, 1 draw. Bottom of the group in Europa League. If that’s doing well I’d hate to see failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

They don't and that was my point but newstalk are vested in building up the Irish league. They as is give it too much airtime. I once was brought to a cork city game about 10 years, I coukd nearly have togged out myself and stood in goals the standard was so poor.

Some good ones?? Beating Scotland is the only decent result he’s had. He’s a loser and deserves the boot.

In the context of the Senior Men’s team, this is an absolutely moronic post.

If you want change, that has to start at the bottom, not the top. It doesn’t matter if we’ve the most innovative, forward thinking, progressive manager the world has ever seen. If the players aren’t there to suit the system it is pointless. You play to the strengths of the players available to you, not some airy fairy tactics that they are unable to play. You can switch the tactics when players who are comfortable with them start coming through, but square pegs do not fit into circular holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That is actually really good, them teams had 10 times the budget Dundalk had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

They don't talk much about league of Ireland on Newstalk.

10 years ago, you really have your finger on the pulse of Irish soccer, nothing at all has changed in 10 years. 🙄

You were "brought to a match"? What age are you?

And no, you're not better than Mark McNulty. The callowness of youth...

• Advertisement

Yeah, I don't get it. I've received no explanation. I'm sure discussing a new manager wasn't banned in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement