Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do men far outweigh women on dating sites?

• 05-06-2022 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

If internet dating is the way a lot of people meet partners these days, why are there far more men on the sites compared to women? I think I heard that there was 20 men to every women on dating sites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Because men just want a ride. End of. Internet dating is shallow. It’s a great method for shallow bastar.s to get a good ride from women who are easily fooled and lied to. They sell vulnerable women a good sob story and it’s good enough to get a ride. Hit and run. The only way to meet people is face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Such a normie comment. The type of guy you're talking about is like 10% of guys on OLD; most guys just want to find a girl to date, get to know. The problem is most girls are rejecting them in favour of the guys you describe. These guys pump and dump because they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I’m glad I’m wrong so . I don’t know this world and am glad that mens motives are generally sincere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Men's opinions of why other men are on dating sites are funny, years ago I met a man on a dating site he started to tell me it might be dangerous for a woman to be on a dating site not him of course those other men. 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Dating sites used to be a complete sausage fest but it's not so bad anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

So true, the men only care about sex type of guys, they can be your normie male or the soyboy's who believe themselves to be a higher form of male. ''Men think about sex every 5 minutes lol haha we're such dirty dogs har har.'' Speak for yourself you swine!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

Women have their choice of men, men don't have their choice of women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

would good looking men not do better than a woman who isn't good looking?

not all women can get men, like there are women out there who have never had a boyfriend, never been kissed etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Plenty of women use tinder purely for hookups too. And are content with the arrangement. They’re not getting taken advantage of.

There is a really funny piece I read somewhere about these guys in the US starting a dating site, not sure which one, anyway their big issue with dating sites is how to get women to join because as sure as night follows day if there are women anywhere men won't be far behind and its from the men that they will make their money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think it goes both ways because when I didn't have sky sports I used to go to sports bars. There were often women just hanging around and they weren't watching the matches.

Sometimes women will pop up in places which are "men-centred" for lack of a better word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Yes, I used to be on a site around ten years ago where men had to pay to join but it was free for women.

I would say that does happen, there is nothing new under the sun years ago night clubs. use to have free in for women nights but the men had to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭NiceFella

That's not a fair comparison though. The fair comparison to make would be average looking female vs average looking male.

In terms of dates the average looking female will get more dates or matches imo. They will find someone desirable to them quicker. Then by extension these females may delete the apps quicker as they have found someone.

However, above average looking men aren't as content when it comes to dating. These men probably will not delete the apps as quick even if seeing someone fairly regularly.

Needless to say, dating apps are quite flawed ways of meeting someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

In terms of getting matches and dates, it’s much easier for women. In terms of finding a relationship, it’s much easier for guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,625 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It's no different to any night club more men than women looking for the ride

Men are usually heavier by bodyweight - probably yes.

Gotta watch out for the iceberg photos from the women tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

there's some stat and sound explanation that explains this....10% of dudes do 90% of the shagging.

tis something that follows on from this that i cant remember but explains it

Gravity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

How do you figure? Assuming a is a prerequisite for b, if you're getting much more of a, surely it follows b is more likely. I imagine its easier for men on dating sites who do get dates to turn that into relationships, but that first step seems difficult. Speaking as someone who never used a dating site.

No - because there are a lot of men who just want casual sex and not a relationship. So getting lots of dates doesn’t mean lots of relationships follow. Whereas for guys, usually when he is going on a date the woman tends to want a relationship, so if he wants one he is sorted (and they like each other obvs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah if the guy is genuinely looking for 'something serious' there will always be women interested. Age, looks, dress sense etc. can all be got around. I suppose if he was living on the streets he might struggle but as long as he has a reasonable income and established 'place in the world' he's good to go.

100%. Now - the only time that doesn’t follow is if he only wants to date somebody with super model looks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Honestly, I would say it is probably like 50 men to every woman or something.

Did a Google search and eHarmony claim it's 52.4% Men and 47.6% Women. Bollocks lol. Of course they, and any other dating website, would say that. What bloke is going to use site that openly says 80% of it's users are men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Back in my day we had anotherfriend dot com

I had good fun on that made great friends and had a few flings. There definitely was a 50/50 male to female ratio.

Back when Facebook wasn't even in gestation, and when there was that text dating flirting thing on Vodafone formally Eircell. Harmless aul fun back then and then along came plentyoffish, that was the start of it. I'm away from internet dating year's now. But back before influencers and validation addiction it was probably easier to date someone, strike matches etc then the fireworks and....

Here I go once again. With my suitcase in my hand. And I'm running away down River Road And I swear.....

Rinse and repeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Funny you should mention that! I've known people who used Another Friend - back when alot of people posted cash to join as many didn't have a credit card! They say the same, internet dating was easier back then.

I have a theory as to why. This is based on nothing more than what I think and that is about 20 years ago there was a really big stigma about online dating (which was silly) But it also means you had more genuine people joining. You know, maybe the social circle wasn't great or whatever. As internet dating grew every Tom, Dick, Harry and Mary Jane signed up. So what was once an alternative to meet people become the norm and with that the garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Absolutely, I never really liked the norm that's why I choose internet dating back then. It was different, exciting and you could match with someone who's interesting. The algorithm was ironically better back then.

Nowadays I've see a few people show me the boloxilogy going on with internet dating. It's almost incestuous nowadays. I know a guy who's very handsome rugged and a real manly lad. He's dated half the county in his age bracket of serial daters lol now he's going nation wide. He hasn't a brilliant job,car or anything.

But he's just one of those guy's who's fit, dark and 6"3 like a celtic warrior or viking. He's no problem dating from the friendly glint in her eye lady working in the corner store,to high society. They all want to meet him.

But the one's he's interested in the boho type or hippie doesn't seem to have interest in him....

I suppose it's opposite attract.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

That’s not representative of a normal dating site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So you said men on these sites are shallow bastards looking to take advantage of the innocent ladies who will fall for their lies and be heartbroken when he shags them and then vanishes.

And then you say you know nothing about online dating.

Oh and FYI most women like a shag now and again as well and quite a few of them are on the sites looking for some no strings fun same as the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Maybe because if a woman is attractive she can get a dare without using dating apps. What a shock a man who is tall and handsome is popular with women. Boho type women are looking for writers, singers, intellectual type men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 RoxanneMathis

Man's bravery😁😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What the hell is boho...

Edit: I googled, and I hate it, because it changes the 4th letter for no damn reason!

Whats boho means?

bohemian

The definition of boho is a shortened form of bohemian, meaning someone who doesn't conform to society and is often focused on art. An example of boho is someone who wears unique clothes and holds art as their focus above all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it was two million percent better there would still be more men than women.

And that's before you include the scammers and fraudsters. And some of the genuine women were pressurised by work into doing it. But for a brief time it created shareholder value.

Plenty of other dating sites have had data breaches.

Kind of sounds better don't you think? Bit like calling the Mandalorian 'Mando'

If 'bohe' suddenly appeared as a slang term people mightn't be sure how to pronounce it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Would that be because those women have not put themselves out there rather than be endlessly rejected - which is a life some men have lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

How many Hollywood romcoms have been made that start off with the guy just wanting the ride … but then realising that there is more going on? It’s practically a cliché. Look at Pretty Woman, which features a very rich man (Richard Gere) hiring a prostitute (Julia Roberts), but then what happens? He’s immediately impressed by her ability to drive a stick shift sports car (America, eh?) and then by her attitude and how well she “cleans up”. This is a guy who can literally buy any ride he wants, so how does he end up wanting more from her? Because she has more to offer and refuses to take any crap from him.

Two Weeks Notice? Rich guy (Hugh Grant) doesn’t impress an activist lawyer (Sandra Bullock). Sandra came at it from the other direction in Miss Congeniality, where the guy already liked her for her abilities but she had to lighten up and be open to the possibility. Maid In Manhattan? Jennifer Lopez as a hotel maid who wins over Ralph Fiennes. When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless In Seattle, and all those Nora Ephron scripts. There’s a pattern here, whether the scripts were written by men or women.

But no, all we hear is “guys just want the ride”, even when wanting more is a staple theme in both male and female fantasies.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I also disagree with calling it Mando... sounds juvenile. Manda would have made more sense. Bohe would have made me jump to bohemian a lot quicker!

Also, using Pretty Woman, a show where the man literally buys love, is not a great example.

That's the fantasy. It makes a better story than mundane reality just like Tolkien or Star Trek or whatever.

What you need to contrast the experience of the guy out there screwing round with is that of long-term monogamous commitment. How would Richard and Julia have been getting on after 10, 20 years of 'wedded bliss'? Would he have been up to his old kerb crawling tricks again, hunting fresh meat?

I'd like to see just once the movie that shows the womaniser having a more fulfilled life than the 'domestic drudge'. But I guess any screenwriter who told that story would be accused of misogyny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

On the likes of Tinder and Bumble how do you know men outweigh women in numbers? I would have thought it's an even split. Anyone I talk to now in their 30s or 40s have met their other half on a dating app.

I found it quite easy to get dates and matches, always felt from age about 35+ that I was in the driving seat regarding dates rather than women, but then I've got my sh*t together and look after myself physically. I can imagine it must be rather frustrating for men who just never match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I would imagine it's a fairly even split in Ireland alright. I can't see it skewing anywhere near the numbers suggested in this thread, given there are actually more single women than men in Ireland, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

My experience of dating apps in Ireland at 35+ albeit limited was that the same 20 men were single and were simultaneously on hinge, tinder, match.com, plentyoffish and I indirectly 'knew' about 1/3 of them. And most were looking for a relationship.

I think there's general global stats for these things and then there's the local experience which can vary wildly from that.

Advertisement