Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2022

Comments

Kyrgios gets away with too much disruption

Umpire should have been firmer and other umpires should be firmer earlier in the future (and I think they will) to basically "shut him down" if he's rabbiting shite to an umpire incessantly with no real point which slows things down and disrupts the other player too much

Tsitsipas was reckless with that ball but didn't hit anyone - could have been called for "ball abuse"

Don't think that there are double standards in relation to Kyrgios - 99.5% of the time it's him kicking things off and if he was shut down earlier it would benefit the match

Tsitsipas is not a bad guy

Kyrgios is a talented player but a disruptive tosser who creates situations out of nothing and who the umpires should act on sooner

The common factor is always Kyrgios - that tells you all you need to know

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Djokovic pisses and moans at umpires all the time but he's forever defended.

He was right today. Tsitipas was a div, and was lucky. If it was the other way round, not hitting a spectator would've been ignored

Have watched both press conferences.

Kyrgios comes off assholey and petty imo

Tsitsipas much better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I see the mighty Swiatek got beaten today?

The women's game is so so bad. No one standing out or looking a bit decent at all.

Is this where the mens game is headed after rafa and novak?

I'm a Djokovic fan yes but no he doesn't whinge ad nauseum to the umpire like Kyrgios about literally nothing while Kyrgios almost always does

but this discussion is about Kyrgios - try to stay on subject for a moment here

Against Sinner in the US earlier this year Kygrios literally started a bullshit argument with the umpire that the court was way different to the other one that he played on before - complete disruption with absolutely no basis

take a look and tell me it's not Kyrgios - and he does this very very often and he is the common denominator

in fairness to Sinner he pretty much ignored it BUT the umpire shut Kyrgios down quicker and penalised him

it was also only best of 3 sets so couldn't go on as long and less time for Sinner to get drawn in

It's Kyrgios who is involved in these sort of messes at a frequency literally 5x to 10x more than anyone else

the guy is a bell-end

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sinner was a role model for how everyone should respond to Kyrgios in those situations, but obviously easier to do so in a smaller tournament in Miami with a lot less on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

The press conferences were both very interesting. On court I thought both players behaved poorly. Kyrios tends to be a fairly petty person and gets very defensive when called out on things. In saying that Tsitsipas calling him a bully and a bit of evil person is OTT. Its tennis, it's competitive. All the elite players try and gain and edge and will purposely exploit an opponents weakness. Thats exactly what Nadal did in his match too.

In saying that, I think most of Kyrios antics happen because he is emotionally extremely immature. He isn't competitive enough to purposely do what he does to gain an advantage. At the end of the day Tsitsipas can't have a meltdown because of what the player on the other side of the court is doing. I guarantee plenty of other players will have seen how he reacted today and will try and exploit that in the future.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Nastase was nicknamed "Nasty" for a reason. McEnroe was classless as well. The way he carried on in his day was awful.

doesn't matter if your argument that "he's a bell-end but doesn't mean it from an angle point of view" is true or not.

he's the one that kicks off the sh1t always and he needs to be addressed tbh

he's always stirring up too much rubbish that goes way beyond "being a character" at this stage and it's taking too much away from the tennis itself

if he has some sort of mental issue or retardation or whatever (very high likelihood of that) he still needs to be addressed

the incident in Miami had no reaction from the other player at all but still Kyrgios basically derailed the match on his own (could have been even worse if the umpire wasn't reasonably decisive - after being quite patient initially)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Kyrgios defaults before the tournament is out, he's on very thin ice now and I'd expect that the umpires will be told to clamp down on him.

Tsitsipas again shows how easily he can be got at, not too sure if he'll ever win a slam tbh.

• Advertisement

Kyrgios trying to get the umpire to get Tsitsipas defaulted for hitting a ball that didn't hit anyone (some say slight impact after a rebound) claiming adamantly later in his press conference that he would never do that but Kyrgios actually smashed away an out-of-play ball at the AO this very year completely needlessly and recklessly at high speed and it hit a kid in the crowd hard.

1:08 or so

Nothing at all happened to Kyrgios in terms of any repercussions

Gives the crying kid a racquet and no problem for him apparently

Hypocrite much?

(Also as an aside this raises a very valid point on how rules and "justice of law" are actually applied here and consistency considering what happened in another case)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

I was thinking to myself while watching that match that he really seems like a bully , and seems like your standard bully in secondary school , then i read the exact same words from Tsitsipas this morning! I wouldnt always agree with what he says but i do agree in this instance. I hope kygrios doesnt win or go far because we will genuinely never hear the end of it. He has gotten very arrogant lately in interviews talking up how good he is. At the end of the day no semis and being 27 is a very poor return , a trend i hope continues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

with Nick Kyrgios its win at all costs, win by all means possible  

as i alluded to previously if the match isn't going his way he resorts to cheating, by getting into his opponent's head by causing a rumpus all it takes is mental strength and discipline by his opponent to beat him ..unfortunately Tsitsipas didn't show that yesterday, seemingly they played doubles previously so Kyrgios must have known what buttons to press to get at him

How does he not win more then? Most opponents i suppose dont let it phase them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

There's something wrong with him. Wonder what his childhood was like. People don't turn out like that without reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Many players have moan at umpires, but Kyrgios out on his own. Absolute pr1ck

The top pro's don't let it phase them, he always seems to get knocked out last 16 last 8 when he faces the top pro's

Here he is against Nadal a few years back when he was up to his antics again but Nadal didn't fall for it

btw - i think that's the same umpire as yesterday's match? he must have a number on him

He is up to 3rd favourite now ahead of Alcaraz. Djokovic overwhelmingly favourite still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

He's horribly classless

These windup merchants always start when the match is going wrong and nothing when it's going right

Agree he's getting away with too much verbals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agreed, doubtless but that the umpire and other tournament officials met to discuss afterwards/ today and there'll be an edict issued to take no 'crap' from him. Umpire gave him too much slack last night which just encouraged more of the same carry on.

Regardless, he plays some brilliant shots both conventional and inventive. Pity he's so narcissistic and unlikable.

• Advertisement

I did have a chuckle though at the underarm serving

Some of your language here to describe someone is absolutely vile and belongs to a bygone era. Whatever about the offhand name calling previously, something in this post is beyond the pale considering what your moaning about.

Grow the f*ck up

I'm not seeing it there apart maybe from the use of the word ' retardation '

Yeah. Absolutely no place for that. You'd get better from a child to be honest.

Think he'll have a female umpire next, probably Asderaki or Cicak, doubt he'd act up to them as he knows it wouldn't be a good look. Don't think he's ever rounded on a female umpire, and he's had plenty of them.

The interview above on hitting rafa

'Look how much money he's got in the bank why should I apologise '

He takes some beating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

Such a pity that really good tennis was disrupted by such "exhibitionist" tactics - Kyrgios thrives on the drama, loves it all the attention being on him, plays up to his role as a showman. Then when the writing is on the wall and it looks like he is going to lose a match, he gives zero effort and throws in the towel. He's an all or nothing guy. Could be one of the top tennis players if his attitude let him. I thoroughly enjoyed the match, but not always for the right reasons - I know the crowd loved it, but it doesn't make it right. I had been hoping for a Kyrgios win, but by the end of it was hoping Tsitsipas would prevail - I cannot imagine the frustration of having to face that overgrown child, point after point. Professionalism is one thing, but Tsitsi was getting pushed to the brink, time and again.

As was mentioned above, I am sure there is a lot of activity amongst the top dogs at the tournament to ensure any further disruption to the matches is knocked on the head as soon as it happens. God love the next umpire to sit in the chair!! Will be watching the next match with interest!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Kyrgios is an arsehole. Simple as that. A talented one, but a wholly unlikeable person. It's great to have personalities and characters in the game, but he is not someone I'd want my kids watching. Clown

Agreed.

Even worse the idiots still trying to make it that he's just a "character"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

And his fans in the grounds too, painful. Although a lot of Aussie sports fans are like that. Loud, brash, obnoxious.

Exactly Kirk

That is not a pejorative word

The poster here was merely frustrated that he had no answer to a previous point made and tries to make a big deal of this.

Pure grandstanding

Kyrgios obviously has some issues

He's not fully developed emotionally at the least which is what the other poster said and I was replying about that as you can see Augme's post quoted which provides the actual context here clearly

retardation

/riːtɑːˈdeɪʃ(ə)n/

noun

the action of delaying or slowing the progress or development of something.

"the goals of treatment include retardation of disease progression"

Yeah I know what it means. It's long since been disowned and unused as a medical term.

It's a loaded word, you know what you were doing. No problem with the point you're trying to make. A problem with how you made it as its archaic and at best, completely childish and woefully derogatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Just watched the highlights of the game. Tsitsipas completely loss the plot and let himself be wound up too easy. He needs to find his ignore button in future.

Yes there is a line where the tennis is negatively impacted and taken away from and that line was crossed yesterday

There are plenty out there who know little and care little about tennis and this sh1t-stirring appeals more to them than anything else

The opponent should shut out krygios constant jibber-jabber

That's not the umpires role though to ignore him.

He should be acting to stop that nonsense

• Advertisement

I've clearly explained the context of the

previous post that I replied to

You merely thought that you could take the opportunity here to get in a couple of insults

Pretty pathetic

You're ignoring the connotation of the word retardation though

Using the literal meaning to excuse yourself

Everybody knows what retardation implies

The pejorative is the noun without the ion but I didn't use that

The context was the previous poster talking about Kyrgios being not emotionally developed -

If people want to read in things in that aren't there I can't stop them

But grandstanding for the opportunity to insult is pathetic imo

What did kyrgios do last night that he should have been punished with a point violation and which part of the rules do you think should have it been done under?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

Kyrgios is the Tennis equivalent of the Wimbledon football team of the 80s,loud,brash,totally disdainful of the concept of sportmanship and seek to create havoc in the hope their antics unsettle the player on the other side of the net.How Tsitsipas with his team wasnt better mentally prepared for this onslaught is a surprise as it was pretty inevitable it would happen.Kyrgios is the gulity pleasure of observing an altercation you are safe from being dragged into.If he continues in this vein and players react like Tsitsipas going near the net may become a serious health hazard in the near future.

• Advertisement

How many players would want to react like Tsitsipas though? Very few I'd say as there's very little yto be gained from it and most players are mentally strong enough not to react to it ans not even let it bother them. The funny thing is if you are playing Kyrios you want him to be behaving in this manner as it normally leads to self implosion.

Tsitsipas attitude of trying to purposely hit the ball straight at him was idiotic. Firstly, irony that someone who calls someone else a bully then purposely tries to hit them with a tennis ball is fairly comical. But he lost two points trying to hit him with the ball.

Tsitsipas behaviour was petchulant ans childish, ans that's being generous. You could easily call it bullying too.

Still though, it was a great match and the needle between the two only added to the entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

agree it was Tsitsipas that made the difference as Kyrgios just did what he usually does and I was shocked that Tsitsipas was drawn into it.Surely with their myriad of team members they have a play book now for Kyrgios.I actually saw Kyrgios dodge disqualification in a previous tournament on the basis his ball lashed into the crowd didnt directly hit a spectator,he didn't offer to disqualify himself on that occasion.But the main take away from the match for me is Kyrgios antics help him matches he might otherwise not have won.

but how could you ignore it when the guy is constantly in your face and ear i reckon even Mother Theresa would have cracked yesterday, and having a weak umpire didn't help matters he should have nipped it in the bud from the start

Your last line is completly incorrect. Remember kygrios loses A LOT of tennis matchs , his antics - leading to implosions loses him significantly more tennis matchs than the very very few he wins because of them, players have all played juniors there was always a nutter in each tournament 95% deal with it no bother. Thats the crux of it really , his maturity is under 12/14s. I dont know too many actual tennis fans that like him , sure the brits do , but the brits who go to middle saturday are their for a piss up which is fair enough!lol

yep, and then you have the BBC just do a montage of the game with 'teenage wasteland/baba o'riley' by The Who playing in the background as if making Kyrgios some sort of anti-establishment rebellious youth hero🙄

The umpire needs to be nipping the shitousery in the bud.

He didn't and the whole thing escalated from there on both sides

At the end of the day it's about the tennis.

Some people as said prefer the mess over the tennis

I can't even remember the first thing that Kyrgios started whining about last night to the umpire but it just went on and on

As another poster commented putting in a female umpire the next time is a smart move

I agree with much of what you're saying about Kyrgios, but "retardation" clearly goes too far, despite your attempts to explain your way out of it. Cop on.

Didn't mean that by it.

I explained the context of the previous poster's comment about lack of / stunted / rxxxd emotional development but I can't make you accept it.

So be it

If I wanted to really use a term for Kyrgios I would use it

Ostapenko taken to a third set. Hope she doesn't throw this away, she couldn't get a more favourable route to the SF's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Watson tonked in first set....

Norrie likely to be last Brit standing (in singles)..

• Advertisement
Advertisement