Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Slipping away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Shouting like a madman...1-4 down....yeah this is gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chap spent 3 hours ranting! An absolute horrible sport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Who is he shouting at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

The voices in his head

Edit:...Never taken a set off him then takes three off him today

Djokovic wins...totally deserved.

Til Kyrgios fixes his head....just not up to it...such a shame..he clearly has unreal natural talent.

Shame Nadal wasn't in final.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Lesser of the two evils won, Djokovic gets to #21. Now let's hope that's the first and last time we hear 'Kyrgios' and 'grand slam final' in the same sentence together.

Kyrios embarrassed himself there

Could have won but too many errors overall

Maybe I need to watch more a Nicky boy. Not seeing this unreal natural talent. Unless it’s these silly trick shots?

Kyrgios looks fecking miserable....but he is still a rebel...wearing his red hat.....plonker. Another fine probably lol

And..... Seven Time Champ

Kyrgios gave him a match as a quality grass-court player but the king of clutch did it again after a challenging year.

The one-finger lady can now reveal that she was all along a time-traveller from 2022

"One more and joint record for grass with Mr. White Shorts and Blazer Man"

That would be something holding the slam titles record on two of the slams - pure versatility.

This guy is likely to be up at or near the top for another few years yet.

Yes. Heaps of errors and misses. Nole cruised really. This is clearly past his best Nole, and still nothing in men’s game to really challenge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That was a really solid win, a victory for a real pro against an uncouth loud mouth.

That behaviour shouldn't be tolerated in a GS final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I didn't know Djokovic was married to Little Bo Peep, that's cool

Jerry Armstrong? Former umpire him, yes?

• Advertisement

Umpire was weak missed a few calls as well

Remove that silly baseball hat, you disrespectful tit

I think that is a bit harsh. He did in the end, but was given a decent challenge at least for a while against Sinner, Norrie who is limited also managed a set, then his level dropped I thought.

The likes of Sinner and Alcaraz can definitely step up I think.

Likely no US open or Australian open for Djokovic? That will hurt!

It shouldn't be tolerated in any professional tennis match. Totally unfair to the other player.

Djokovic coming across extremely well

You are meant to wear white on court for a start...he has been fined already.

Nole’s daughter is beautiful. So cute!

Shame Sue Barker is finishing up at Wimbledon this year...she is really lovely and warm brought the best out of both of them in that little interview.

Hard act to follow, I am guessing Claire Balding will step up

• Advertisement

Yes, and it’s manners when greeting/talking to remove your hat. More so on an occasion like this.

Dunno who the guy in blue t shirt is in Djokovic's box, but he was blanked when he went up to celebrate

This is a good read when it comes to the points or lack of them for Wimbledon this year.

Chris Evert lost 17 grand slam finals, so Kyrgios has a way to go

I love it when a plan comes together 😛😛😛

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Mens tennis is a complete bore fest, would not be surprised if federer came back and won a major

If Djokovic is being sincere in his apparent warmth to Kyrgios, then fair play to him. Being a lot nicer to him than he deserves, particularly given the multitude of times that he's publicly lambasted him.

I'm sure US Open will let him play. Lets get real, there are millions of unvaccinated in the States

• Advertisement

So when will we see Djokovic at a grand slam again? Paris, Melbourne or maybe even New York?

Right now I don't think we'll be seeing him at the US Open, but I do think he'll be in Australia. I can't imagine there'll be any public appetite to keep him out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Sad to see Sue leave. Seems a lot of the iconic presenters are finishing up.

Hope Hazel Irvine stays around in the snooker for many more years

I felt Nole was sincere in his words to Kyrgios.

If Novak wins one more wimbledon he is absolutely the greatest grass court player of all time. Tied with Roger and beaten him in 3/3 wimbledon finals. Novak will be the greatest grass court and hard court player of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

No absolutes in sports. And him being the greatest grass courter is certainly very debatable imo. Right now, he is playing against a depleted field, of that there is no doubt. The fact Kyrgios made the final is evidence of that, talented player but has no business in the final of a GS. How many grass titles has he won?

As for beating Fed, that's a good statistic, but Federer was probably past his prime in those finals, certainly 2019. It's not the same as playing him from 06-10. And I'm not a Federer fan but just think Djokovic supporters love that stat without giving the context.

Btw, I'm not trying to disrespect Djokovics achievement here. He thoroughly deserved the title, and is undoubtedly one of the greatest grass court and all court players ever. But to unambiguously claim him to be THE BEST, is debatable is all I'm saying.

Ok, I didn’t watch all the final, but most of it. Was it any good to some of you? I thought it was so stale. Tennis was average, Nole didn’t get out 2nd gear, and Kyrgios, as well as being very ordinary was a right tiring pain in the ass!

• Advertisement

Fed also made 12 finals… Nole up there, but Fed still in the discussion as greatest grass courter. 3-1 to Nole head to head, but jaysus, 2019 was insanely close!!

It occurred to me that what we were seeing there is some clever sports psychology. One of Krygios plays in his head seems to be that the opponent dislikes him and this then fires him up and also helps him get under their skin.

So when Djokovic openly wished him well and joked with him before the match, that blunted this weapon and if yer man was going to get annoyed then, it wasn't going to be at Djok but instead towards the match officials, crowd, box and even turn it in on himself. Djokovic praising him afterwards also a clever way of keeping that going and setting himself up for the next encounter.

A 4 setter final rarely feels like a great match - saying that a lot of the “great” Wimbledon matches tended to be 1/4 and semi final matches - experience mostly trumps youth @ Wimbledon - it’s unfortunate that tennis is still dominated by players in their mid 30s - there will be a lot of very average matches to come in years to come - I reckon tennis will go through a period of downturn while we’re awaiting a new generation of talent

It was a good spectacle and intriguing in it's way but a bit one sided in the end, despite the apparent closeness of some games. Really all Krygios had at the end of the day was a great serve and a few great winners scattered here & there. But once Novak returned and got into a longer rally, he prevailed as the match wore on. On the other side, despite a couple of closer games, Djokovic always seemed more comfortable on his serve. Djokovic out thought and out played him, he was concentrating on every point like a true pro where yer man was a bit all over the place. He calmed down a bit after going 2-1 down, as realised he was beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That was one of most forgettable Wimbledon finals ever. What a pity Nadal had to withdraw, it could have been a classic.

On Kyrgios, I know he has a point sometimes, but why is it he has to go ballistic over every issue. It's so uncomfortable to watch and imo he brings the game into disrepute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement