Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expected cost of changing internal door locks?

Options
  • 06-06-2022 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi, I figure this might be the best place to ask..

First of all, I am changing a few damaged internal door locks for my own property that I am living in.

Extremely difficult to get any responses... I got one quote finally which is a bit to my surprise - a 2 lever door lock cost no more than 20 euros and looking at the quote, I can only say the locksmith guy has a very high hourly rate on the labour?

Could anyone share some information or experience in terms of the cost for changing the internal 2 lever door lock? What kind of hourly rate is a normal rate for a locksmith person and how many minutes/hours are needed to complete the work for changing one 2 lever door lock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you are replacing like for like, it is really a simple DIY job requiring only a couple of screwdrivers.

Locksmith would have a minimum call-out fee. You don't need a locksmith, any handyperson or carpenter if you don't want to DIY.

Just remove one of the locks, bring it to hardware shop and buy the equivalent one. If you are happy that all your locks are the same type, buy as many as you need.

Edit: If you buy them from a locksmith shop, you might be able to get them all keyed the same (if that suited your purpose).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

If it's only the actual lock that needs replacing I'd imagine 5-10 mins per lock

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

Apart from the locks themselves being damaged, the alignment between the lock and the latch is also a bit of issue. I believe there would be some wood work on the door frames.

I can probably DIY, but it will take me a number of trips to the hardware store to find the right tools. If the quote from the guy is reasonable, I’ll just let him do it. I just don’t want the job to be a ripe-off, thus looking for information on cost. Thanks for sharing your experience, Esel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

As others have said, even if you don't want to DIY, you should just hire a handyman; no need to pay locksmith call-out rates for a carpentry job,. Buy the new locks yourself (take one of the existing ones out and bring it to the hardware shop and they'll find you a matching one easily enough) and get a handyman to come in to replace the ones that need it and see what needs to be done as far as rehanging the doors or any necessary woodwork. Much cheaper that way and more likely the job will be done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A locksmith won't do wood work, so you'll need the doors correctly aligned before they come as any lock they fit won't work. A chippy can do the rehanging and change the locks easily but you're not going to get anyone legit to do the job for reasonable money, small jobs aren't worth their while when you consider they have to pay for their van/insurance/tools/materials/servicing/taxes and then make a wage for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There should be no need to change an internal door lock. Most are basta locks and the keys can be bought by number. If you don't know the numbers some shops will give you a full set and you can try them all and give back the ones which don't work. Absolutely no need for a locksmith. If it is misalignment it may be due to shrinkage or structural settlement. It might be just a matter of moving the receivers slightly on the door frame or tightening of the hinges.

Advertisement