Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ploughing 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was there Tuesday. Found the kids well behaved

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭farm to fork

A simple way of discouraging underage drinking and problematic school kids is to make the students wear their uniforms. Before you say they will cover them up with coats etc. The staff at the beer tents should be able to identify some part of the uniform i.e. the collar of a shirt and eliminating them getting alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A lot of them don’t go with their schools- I’ve heard of chaps organising buses privately and filling them outside of school structures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Heard of a man getting attacked from behind Wednesday night at the ploughing. He got hit with a bar and one side of his face is destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

What time do the beer tents close there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭youllbemine

FIL saw a lad in his forties hop on to a small digger, lift bucket, move around etc all while his mates took videos of him. Two lads came out of the tent and asked him to get off. He got down and bate seven shades of shyte out of the two boys. One of them used a fencing post to defend himself while the friends tried pulling yer man off. Seriously heavy punches were being thrown apparently. They were all well dressed and didn't look like cowboys, as I said, in their forties. Mad stuff, you wouldn't see it at 3 in the morning in a big town about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

As critical as I was about the ploughing, I find it hard to believe some of these stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Dunno about it being that hard to believe though... It's widely thought the man in his 40s, was a half magnet, so if the digger owners were made of steel he could attach himself to them. A right few others reckoned the man in question had no head, but in fact, 4 arses. Now, I've that on good authority boy, your own judgement after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭einn32

Went to the Melbourne Show. It's all about about selling rubbish and fairground rides. Just a bit of sheep and cattle showing down the back of the site. Lot of farmers don't go to it anymore. Pity it would be a good place to educate the public on farming. I'll probably go to the local shows from now on.

• Advertisement

No. The man doesn't know why he did it, and didn't see him.

There's all kinds or randomers out there, had a bottle thrown at me from a lad hanging out of a car while I walking a girl home one night in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

I hear Anne may has purchased the site in ratheniska laois as a permanent home for the ploughing imno lads will get sick of the same site every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Once traffic routes are good and little delays, they could be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

It'll take out the craic tho of guessing where next year's will be held, and an excuse to see different parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭older by the day

I taught the association was gone nearly broke a couple of years ago. Is there a honk of RTE off of this

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I think the mchughs own the whole show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

Knowing that family the land was probably bought in a personally capacity and will be leased to the NPA at a very generous price.

RTE wouldn’t be a patch on the mafia that is the McHughs, sorry the NPA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭roosterman71

That's madness in my view. Unless it's going to be used for other events during the year? Would somewhere like Punchestown not be more viable. It would already have big permanent infrastructure for the trade areas, and then around the edges for ploughing. The ploughing being the most unimportant part of the Ploughing to most it could be held anywhere in the country away from the trade side. There must be other Punchestown like venues dotted around too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

They might roof the site now😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I wonder what the owners of the site, the Carters are planning now, or is there any of the younger generation farming.

Grandmother died lately at 102 , and David is 70, I don't know if his family are farming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Remember it's a ploughing event. I doubt if Horse Racing Ireland wound let farmers plough up the race tracks.

The rest of the year it's will be a working farm like previously

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Well not the racetrack part, that of course is out of bounds. But there's plenty of area outside the track, including permanent buildings to hold the trade part of the Ploughing event. I guess the big problem would be parking and access to the site. The actual ploughing could be in surrounding fields/areas and people ferried in/out as required. Then you could potentially spread it over more than 3 days and limit the numbers in each day to aid organisation. I was at the Highland Show there last weekend and it's so much better organized and laid out when compared to the Ploughing it's unreal. It's smaller of course and doesn't have the actual field work which can be overcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I thought the site in ratheniska was just ok, not the best or worst site ive seen the ploughing at. I thought Tullamore was a great site, great traffic management the times I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

If they got rid of the school kids out of it I might consider going again this year. Although said after last year's is gone so far from what it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭leoch

As I said on here before......the tullamore show is a 1000 time better if the ploughing guys could join up with the tullamore show it would be the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Outside of the ploughing and Tullamore and Punchestown.

What's a good local show for tractors and machinery and cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Are you going to Tullamore this year, aiming to go ourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Advertisement

Iverk show in Kilkenny has a good mix of machinery. I was at the clonmel show myself. Not much machinery but plenty of livestock

Advertisement