Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces redesigned M2 MacBook Air

• 07-06-2022 7:30am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Who is getting one? I badly need a new Mac and have been waiting on this for a year but… Euro prices are pretty steep. They have also increased the price of the M1 Air.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gonna hold off for another year most likely, they look poor machines at those prices. Single monitor capability only in a €1500 laptop is just unforgivable. That said, those M1 Pro machines I initially had no interest in are looking a lot more attractive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

I bought the M1 air this year after my 2012 pro gave up on me and I needed an urgent replacement. Was raging at the time to have had to buy before the M2s came out but I'm happy now with the price increase that I have already bought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone else weighing up what RAM/SSD configuration to get? I hear a lot of people making the future proofing argument in relation to RAM, however given that Apple now drop OS support for all configurations of a particular model at the same time, I feel the argument for this is growing increasingly weaker. So unless you have money to burn (or genuinely need the additional memory/storage) the extra 250-500 seems like bad value. But maybe I’m just trying to justify not having to fork out the extra!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I agree. I would always have gone for a minimum of 512GB storage but with iCloud Drive and other online/hard drive storage options, I don't see the need now. I'm also not sure on RAM. Plenty of sites say that 8GB is plenty for Apple M-series chips and I'm not sure the extra money is worth it for what I would be using the machine for anyway.

Interestingly (or not!), I was looking back at old Mac prices that I had noted previously. In 2018, a 13" MBA with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD cost €1,379; this makes the current M1 version absolutely phenomenal value in comparison! (Particularly when is was €1,129 before the recent price increase).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It doesn't make sense that the base level m2 has lower specs than my Chinese made phone (12gb +optional 4gb) ram and 256gb storage.

I really wanteded to go back to mac from Windows but my current machine is i7 with 16gb ram and 1tb storage.

But Windows OS sucks balls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Despite my comments above I ended up upgrading both the RAM and the SSD. Expecting delivery the week of the 8th. I went with the midnight though worried by all the talk of fingerprints and scuffs. Anyone else order?

I have had my current 12 inch MacBook for almost 5 years. It's held up very well, even the butterfly keyboard is still working perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Any reason why, after bumping the RAM and SSD in the Air, you just didn’t go for the 14” MBP? For another €200 you would have had a far superior machine.

I estimated it would cost 250 more. I went with the Air as I prefer the thinner, lighter form factor. I am coming from a 12 inch MacBook so the M2 Air is probably going to feel a bit big as it is. The Air also has better battery life - and comes in midnight!

Under different circumstances I would have waited a year or so for the m2 Air to drop down to a more reasonable price but I can’t wait any longer and with inflation/the euro it may not drop by much if anything. I should have upgraded to the M1 Air a year and a half ago but I decided to wait for the redesign.

Advertisement