Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200

Options
  • 07-06-2022 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi their....Just wondering did the Wicklow 200 go ahead in 2021 ?? Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

forecast looking fairly windy but reasonable otherwise for sunday. Will make for a tough slog to the top of the Wicklow gap but will be nice to have the wind in the sails for the majority of the spin back!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

Has anyone got a link for the 100 on Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

Quick question, can you start earlier than the 7am start time, say 6.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd imagine so, given I have to be at my marshal point in Roundwood for 6.30! Just be aware that you could potentially be ahead of marshals/ food stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

thanks, i need to finish earlier than planned for a family event, so getting off a bit earlier will be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You can, the first marshals are due to be in place from 6am so you should be ok. I know he'll be there as its me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

Picked up my registration pack yesterday and I spotted this line. "Garda checkpoint within the first 20km. You won't be able to proceed without showing wristband...". This has to be nonsense, right? I've done this event loads of times and this has never been the case. On open roads there is no legal basis for checking people.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluejohn1

Hey first time doing any sort of sportive. Is parking madness in the morning around Bray? Was thinking of parking a bit away and just cycling down but was just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Last time I did it there was loads of parking. They stick all the cars in the field by the GAA club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Best of luck to all doing w200 today and a big shout out to all the vets for giving up their day doing all the marshalling and making it happen. Not doing it myself but marshalling goes under the radar to a certain extent and is key for so many events. Those vets are all mad about cycling and I'm sure would prefer to be cycling with you today.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

Just back from the Wicklow 200, jaysus I have to say it was tough going but very enjoyable. That final 10km was the toughest I've ever felt on the bike. Very well run event, the marshalling was brilliant alright, not sure if I can put myself through that again though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

was a tough last few k for sure, didn’t know if I had the juice in the legs to get over grey stones and enniskerry. Great day out overall. 3100 meters on my garmin compared to the 2700 I was expecting 😂!

the Marshalls and all volunteers are top class, from the lads helping park the cars to the people at the food stops and of course the Marshalls themselves. Such a generous donation of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Only saw 1 guard at Annamoe, leaning against his car watching the riders go by. I suspect the logistics of checking riders tipping by at 30km+, none of whom want to stop are unworkable. And as you say, the roads are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

Echo the comments about the marshals. For me it's the best thing about this event. A lot of them are in my club and it's great to see a friendly face when the legs are spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

+1 for praising all involved in organising and marshalling todays WW200. Has anybody else past the accident with a rider down ( ambulance at seen) somewhere arround Newcastle / Kilcoole? Hope the Rider is doing OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Was marshalling in Roundwood at the Church, and then dad cabs at the Bog Meadow for the rest of the day - ye all looked fresher at 7.30am first time seeing you than the afternoon anyway 😀 Tough wind pretty much the whole way down to Balto I imagine? Certainly bigger groups later than I was expecting at my spot (I hung on half an hour later than my shift end time).

Just on the Gardai in Annamoe - "Beyond the Pale" was on in Glendalough House over the weekend, so I'd imagine it was more for that than the WW200.

Post edited by Macy0161 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Having intended doing the 200, dropped back to the 100 in the end, due to making a) a judgement call on my lack of fitness for the steeper stuff, and b) the mate I was doing it with was getting grief from his knee so he wanted to err on the side of caution. It was the right call in the end, as we'd have been crucified by the likes of Sliabh Mann or the Shea Elliot. Last 30km I found mostly a bit meh with traffic volumes and driver ignorance on the busier route (looking at you specifically close passing black Volvo driving moron in Ashford with a liking for your horn - I know where I'd like to shove it), and really got worried when ending up on the N11 for that 300m or so, but given it's on the outskirts of Dublin, there's not much choice really. After getting off the N11 I enjoyed the drag up through Enniskerry and drop to the finish. Having not done a big sportif in a while now, it was nice to fall in with various folks along the way and chat with them

Big shout out to the marshals for a great job, and the mechanics on the course - didn't have need of them thankfully, but stopped for a water break at Newcastle and chatted with a couple of the lads from Cycle Superstore who were really sound and genuinely seemed to be enjoying the occasion5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

I marshalled for the day at the foot of Slieve Maan, the organisers really need a sign there saying "this is Slieve Maan, no the one you've just come over wasn't, really it wasn't, and yes you have to go over this to get to Shay Elliot". That would have saved me a lot of talking yesterday.

Seriously though it was an enjoyable few hours, most everyone was in good form, there was the odd bit of banter and I got to ogle some seriously nice machines passing. I think every SWorks on the island must have been in Wicklow yesterday.....

There were a few folks struggling, a couple stopped with me for a chat and a breather, I'd imagine most of them made it eventually but might have been out till tea time. Was the mooted cut off time at the foot of Shay Elliot applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

had a great 200. Marshalling was excellent, particularly the one who gave me a push to start me up the shay... slieve mann for me was the toughest climb and then the little kicker just after the 140 food stop. The stretch home is such a fecker.. pretty sure I had some kind of outer body experience at that point I can hardly remember it :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Was there before the ambulance arrived. The guy did not look in a good way, though one of the passing riders was a nurse who was doing all that could be done. Have been thinking about him since but not heard anything else, hope it was no more than a concussion and superficial stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

Marshalled in Enniskerry village for the late shift yesterday - was there till the last rider rolled through at 7.50pm. Well done to everyone who finished - tough day on the bike.

Felt for those who turned the corner in Enniskerry and saw the last hill in front of them - heard so many curses, sighs & manic laughs but everyone who got that far managed to find the extra push to make it home - was glad I’d brought the Haribo and jelly babies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CearbhallG2022

There was a rider down on the descent into Ashford. Is this the same one? It looked serious too. I was thinking about him too afterwards and hoping he was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

Likewise - I logged on yesterday & today on the offchance of some news on this rider. Looked in a bad way while waiting on the ambulance. Hope he's doing well and on his way to a recovery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

That's the one I saw, looking at my GPS track, it was here https://www.google.com/maps/@53.003015,-6.1152195,3a,75y,77.22h,64.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siRXjo9evz8nh7wa8gxP8yw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 Lad I was chatting to reckoned he could have fallen foul of the speed bumps but it's pure speculation.

I had heard he is in a very bad way, it didn't look good at all when I passed him, the ambulance had just arrived.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Some sad news - may he rest in peace...

https://www.facebook.com/Wicklow200/posts/7809376499102615

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Terrible news. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Ah FFS that's terrible news, just doing something he loved ☹️ May he rest in peace and Condolence to his family.

• Advertisement
Advertisement