Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ferdinand and Crouch are on BT explaining that VAR was actually correct but they’d prefer if VAR didn’t apply because it ruined the scenes in the stadium. Would they be saying the same thing if it denied a Sporting winner at the death?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lewandowski goalless in both games against Bayern has to be considered a disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I still don't get it

Ok Kane is ahead of the last defender...... but the Spurs player playing the ball is well ahead of the last defender

And why are they putting a line on the guy playing the ball, how can he be off, he played the ball.

And I don't get '' Kane was ahead of the ball when the ball was played''

WTF

Literally every player since football was invented is ahead of the ball when the ball is played forward. How is that an offside offense.

Offside is you can't be last man back when ball is played, and in this case the player playing the ball is last man back, so how can you switch it and say, Kane is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kane is the one that's off. If Kane is in front of the last defender, he can only be onside if he's behind the ball - the blue line is the ball. The red line is Kane. He's in front of the ball, so he's offside.

In this case it doesn't matter where the guy playing the ball is - all that matters is where the ball itself is. It's the ball that creates the line, not the guy playing it.

And looking at your post after that one, you just have the rules wrong... you are onside if you are behind the second-last man (being pedantic here just for total clarity - keeper usually being the actual last man), OR if you are behind the ball even if you're past the last man. In this instance, Kane is neither. He's in front of the defender, and he's in front of the ball.

It didn't look that way, I feel they needed to adjust the line several times to make Kane off, they would just not leave it alone, they took 4 minutes playing with the line.. with Kane onside, until they final adjusted the frame so that he'd be off.

That's sort of a big change in your position from your posts above... it's super close, but on any stills I've seen, he looks a hair in front of the ball at the point of contact. I'm guessing the extended time was maybe because they also did a check on the last defenders' right foot, to make sure that didn't play Kane on as that also looks quite close, so it may have been 2 sets of VAR line checks, and perhaps even a hand-ball check on the defender it came off... there simply was a lot of stuff to see. It should've been quicker, but there was a lot of stuff going on that needed to be reviewed.

All looks like they came to the correct conclusion in the end anyway though.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't know what Spurs fans are complaining about.

I watched that game last night, Sporting were the better team and probably should have won if they'd taken their chances.

Plus offside is offside. Simple as. We either accept VAR or ditch it. Doesn't matter if its slowing down games or ruining fans nights. Personally I don't like it due to the delays.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If it takes close to 6 minutes to make a conclusion on something like offside, then it shouldn't be getting overturned imo.

There's the maw and the spirit of the law. VAR is far too obsessed with the law and having to be 100 and even then some of those lines look like guess work

• Advertisement

Will Xavi be sacked now?

If any other Barca manager had performed like that in a group stage after all their new signings, they would have been sacked last night.

Is Xavi untouchable? Then again, could they even afford to sack him? Perhaps its like Allegri at Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I'm not sure I get all the Nunez bashing. Sky had a stat this morning and the guy has only started 7 games in all competitions this season and has 6 goals, 1 assists and won a peno. Yes its not Haaland levels but he's a 1 in a life time freak of nature in front of goal. Liverpool have lots of issues this season but I don't see Nunez been one of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ye after a shaky start Nunez is now a massive threat for Liverpool ,

His movement & pace is superb, just needs to become a little more composed,

He causes absolute chaos & score goals,

He looks big and awkward and his decision making has been crazy at times.

But when he’s on the pitch he’s nearly always involved. He works hard and is difficult for defenders to deal with, and has had a pretty good start to the season - Liverpool look worse in front of goal when he’s not there.

Mad that some Pool posters were writing him off after a game or two. You wonder do they actaully watch football at all or just rabbit what they see on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

That's the problem I have about VAR offside decisions.

I was in the WTF camp about the Spurs decision as the pass-giver appeared to be in front of Kane playing the ball backwards which then comes off an opponent to go forward again and then reach Kane. So in the snapshot it now looks like the pass-giver/ball was not ahead of Kane. I guess thats fair enough. (and tbh Spurs only have themselves to blame, they play negative cr@p for the last couple of weeks)

On the other hand - before VAR was introduced I was under the impression that with incredibly tight decisions it should go in favour of the attacker. This inches stuff takes that now out of it.

But I do get it. If you don't make inches decision you just move the boundary. As to the definition of what is an 'incredibly tight decision' and what is not.

However, for teams and spectators alike VAR has lead to a situation that isn't good for the spectacle that is football either. Every tight situation now has in-depth analysis followed by a committee decision. Not sure the advantage of being super correct outweighs what this process takes away from the game. Maybe there is no real answer to that. I certainly don't have one but I don't enjoy watching these VAR processes the whole time.

Maybe they could put a time limit on VAR. If you can't figure it out in under 1 minute the original decision stands. Clear and obvious error and all that.

• Advertisement

Thing is, VAR could absolutely add to the overall drama of the game if it was implemented differently, in a similar way to rugby - which basically is to include the audience.

The frustration last night came from just waiting for a few minutes without knowing what was happening before being told it was offside. If what VAR was looking at was being shown on a big screen in the ground, while you could hear VAR and the referee discuss what they’re looking at and how they come to the decision it would make it much more tolerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't think anyone wrote him off but people where saying he was playing poorly which at the time he was, he was missing chances & fluffing things,

He has settled now and looks a real threat,

He still needs to add composure to his game but he is heading in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder how much of an upraor and talk of VAR would BT and the English media be on if that call had gotten a goal taken off Sporting last night instead of Spurs.

I'm not a fan of VAR however the football media seem to pick and choose which close calls to get outraged by.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

Last night was particularly ridiculous as everyone in the studio was annoyed it was being checked in the first place as they deemed it a definite goal. When it was ruled out, they began going on about typical VAR ruining games again.

10 minutes later they came back and begrudgingly showed VAR actually made the correct call, then the presenter said, but still, once again VAR is the conversation and we don’t want to talk about that while Crouch said he felt sorry for Kane.

So VAR did everything right(the biggest complaint it that it was quite slow but it was a tricky decision) but it was against an English team so the fact that it got involved is still bad.

Fans moaned that they wanted var in, as bad decisions were being made at the top level games.

Now var is in, and in the vast majority of cases, is making the correct decisions. But guess what, fans are moaning again. They are even saying right is wrong now, if the decision doesn't suit them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The rules about when VAR can be used are just a mess, imo it should just be utilised as another referee rather than some separate entity. If the VAR ref sees something happen on screen they should be able to tell the ref, not only in cases of red cards/penalties/goals.

Why not change the outcome of a throw-in or change a goal kick to a corner if the VAR official saw that the ref got it wrong and can tell him within seconds, we often see replays that show an incorrect call before the ball has been brought back into play, so if the VAR official can see it in the same time surely they can say something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

VAR won't step in for an incorrectly awarded corner but that corner could end up being the decisive moment of the game.

Its changed nothing. Some stuff it gets right and some wrong and we will all argue about the grey areas just like it always was in soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Being under the impression of tight decisions going in favour of the attacking team was just Sky and their daylight for being offside. Those decisions where then talked about if the linesman got them wrong in the lead up to a goal. Only way to get 100% correct decision now with VAR is to make the laws of the game black and white and leave no room for human judgement or error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

That would be just a disaster IMO. Its bad enough as it is. It would be just stop start then.

Tbh IMO we should have never started this VAR thing. Human error is part of the game both on the players and also on the referee side. Now its just a mess but Pandora is out of her box and won't be put back in.

I for one think it has not improved the game and it was a mistake to begin with.

I'd rather have just human error on the pitch and move on.

The human error connected to VAR is a whole lot more annoying to me.

I can forgive the on field officals for missing a blink of the eye error as frustating at it can be.

However the VAR officals giving inconsistant outcomes is worse when they have time to review incidents.

Conte getting a dressing room and touchline ban for the final game can't be a good thing for Spurs.

If they play in Marseilles like they did last night, it'll not be a good thing either. They were poor last night.

I've just never seen a line drawn on the ball before, I assumed, and everyone else did, that it would be drawn on the Spurs player that headed the ball, it's clear as day that the player that headed it, is indeed ahead of Kane, and that it is indeed a backwards header from his point of view.

The rule is "can’t be offside if you’re behind the ball" though, and I don't think i've ever heard it described as anything other than "behind the ball".

I don't know where this 'backwards pass' thing is coming from either - as long as you're behind the ball when it's played, it can be a forward pass into space for another attacker to knock it in... and it's something we see regularly enough too - one player running through, one on one with the keeper, passes it across and forward to another player to tap it in.

Atleti going out with a whimper is such a great thing to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

atrocious var decision there denying A Madrid a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Goes show how bad Europe is these days that Club Brugge got through that group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Disappointed that RTE didn't go with the Spurs game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder are they going to chase the five goals or whatever they need tonight or just play a normal game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

An utterly bizarre handball decision in the bayern game. Mane lifts his hands to block a ball and it's not given.

Marseille deservedly take the lead through Mbemba. Beauty of a header.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Spurs 1 down. Some header

Spurs were awful but I'd still lean towards them to progress. If you needed a side to bottle it, Marseille would be a pretty good candidate based on recent history. Tudor is new so maybe he's instilled a tougher mentality in them but I'm sceptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Why is this taking so long to rule out the Napoli goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

That offside goal took ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Can't believe Ajax were near evens for this match, should have lumped on. Rangers are dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Why is RTE showing the Liverpool game , surly the Spurs one is the one that matters ?

Liverpool have qualified.

Lenglet with the equaliser. Another good header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

So Ronnie Bitter Whelan gets a few hours to be negative on air while watching his former club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

In an ideal world, yes, but the bottom line is ratings and a dead-rubber Liverpool game will still get more viewers than a Spurs game. On the other side, Napoli are the most in-form team in Europe and would garner more neutrals interest than Marseille.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ratings rule this world - regardless if its a dead rubber - sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Spurs winning group now with a draw

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not to mention no one wants to watch Spurs stick 10 men behind the ball for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The Napoli Phantom of the Opera should stick to theatre. How many times has he gone down clutching his face like it's been mauled by a lion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not the only ones making dubious broadcasting decisions tonight. BT's Goals Show keeps cutting to, well, goals from the irrelevant games in the Bayern/Inter group. Can't ye drop the protocols for one night lads?

• Advertisement
Advertisement