Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What a chance for kolasinac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How did Kolasinac miss that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hojbjerg's belter sent Marseille out of Europe altogether.

Stupid that Tudor didn't send Payet on for the final minutes. A bit of magic from him might have made a difference. Deserved what they got.

Last minute spurs win group !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wow what a finale from Spurs!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

All 4 teams in Group D were going through at some point tonight.

Not sure how we managed to pull group winners out of that shitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Peter Collins didn't mention Frankfurt in his Group D review with Didi Hamann and Kevin Doyle, it was all about Spurs, shameful stuff typical of RTE. Thought he might have asked Didi about Frankfurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Should have showed the Spurs game, instead of the dead rubber Liverpool game. agree poor coverage of a big European night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Liverpool fans won't complain, especially as they ended up beating a previously unbeaten team. Late drama in the Spurs game but I'm not too sure if its was a good game. Hindsight is always 20/20. Can't get it right all the time. If Spurs were on i probably wouldn't watch their game- always way too defensive for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

20/20 ????

The Liverpool game was always a dead rubber - they won, they qualified and remained second - the Spurs group was where the action was , but RTE went with the safe ratings bet - and I was neurtal just wanted to see a meaningfull game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

RTE need to make back the money they spent and getting more viewers for a dead rubber Liverpool game will help that as it will pull in a bigger rating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its not rocket science lads. Liverpool have a bigger supporter supporter base, so showing a Liverpool game gets more viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Two meaningful games tonight. Shaktar v Leipzig at 5:45 and Milan v Salzburg at 8. Rest of the games are dead rubbers for the broadcasters to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I know I'm the weird one when it comes to this but I would watch an important game over my own team in a dead rubber.

And it's also not just who has the bigger supporter base. As a neutral I just turned off the TV last night when I saw it wasn't the Spurs game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Judging by Spurs fans comments during the game last night they were fit to turn off the game for most of it as well with the teams lack of ambition to actually get up the pitch.

Most bizarre thing of all is that Virgin have actually decided to not show the English teams.

They are showing PSG vs Juve I can only assume because the PSG team have a lot of Twitter followers or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Virgin's coverage has gone back a lot in recent years. They used to have all the games available to watch and now it's just the 1. The other games don't need the analysis etc, but coverage was always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Thats because LiveScore own all the rights now for Ireland and sell a game per week to RTE and Virgin to show

Ah I see.

And who makes the choice of which game is bought (sold to) by RTE & Virgin? Is it LiveScore themselves as the primary rights holder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I'd imagine RTE/Virgin get to choose as they always pick the most popular EPL team most weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

2 penalties for ball to hand. I don't think I can watch this anymore.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

City won't attract any more viewers than PSG v Jive imo over here.

Liverpool, celtic and man utd games featured heavily in both virgin and rtes top 10 ratings for september. Only 1 city game did across both networks and between them they had at least 2 if not 3 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Jeez how good a manager is Marco Rose or how bad a one is Tedesco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just watched Celtic there....god Scottish football is very weak. I know there is talk of Rangers and Celtic going to the premier league but they would hardly be competitive in the championship.....

I was more thinking the bizarre bit was if you are going to show a dead rubber you would show an English one.

Personally Ide love them to show Milan Salsburg but I know that's too much to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Absolutely world class goal from Mbappe.

Milan 1 up thanks to Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is no talk of them going to the Premier league.

Milan 2-0 Salsburg.

Another header this time Krunic

Milan 3 up. Giroud again after Leao ran the entire Salsburg team around the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It’s stupid that ball to hand isn’t a foul anywhere but the penalty box. Brought in by refs who didn’t want the hassle of making a decision

PSG end up as 2nd seed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Key

Match Day 6 Results

Group A

Liverpool FC (ENG) 2 V 0 SSC Napoli (ITA)

Rangers FC (SCO) 1 V 3 AFC Ajax (NED)

Group B

Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) 0 V 0 Club Brugge (BEL)

FC Porto (POR) 2 V 1 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

Group C

FC Bayern München (GER) 2 V 0 FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)

FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) 2 V 4 FC Barcelona (ESP)

Group D

Olympique de Marseille (FRA) 1 V 2 Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)

Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) 1 V 2 Eintracht Frankfurt (GER)

Group E

AC Milan (ITA) 4 V 0 FC Salzburg (AUT)

Chelsea FC (ENG) 2 V 1 GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)

Group F

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 0 V 4 RB Leipzig (GER)

Real Madrid CF (ESP) 5 V 1 Celtic FC (SCO)

Group G

F.C. Copenhagen (DEN) 1 V 1 Borussia Dortmund (GER)

Manchester City FC (ENG) 3 V 1 Sevilla FC (ESP)

Group H

Juventus (ITA) 1 V 2 Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Maccabi Haifa FC (ISR) 1 V 6 SL Benfica (POR)

man City v PSG would be a great last 16 match

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The first one was a fairly nailed on penalty no matter what. Second was harsh

nothing could separate Benfica PAris at the top so it went on the amount of away goals scored

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I guess the Champions league really starts from here on in. It’s so hard for clubs from smaller leagues to compete, but still, it’s important that they are part of the tournament. Yet, the financial boost they get, in turn, leads to financial disparity in their own domestic leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just as well for them...they'd be hammered every game...

Benfica were drawn with PSG, Juventus, Bayern & Barca in the previous 2 groups stages. They've progressed both seasons now, winning the group this season.

Whatever they are doing there, they're doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Plenty of players been sold to Pl clubs the last few years aswell. 4 of 5 to city, 2 to Liverpool?

• Advertisement

And they seem to invest their money well. They didn't miss Nunez at all last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Benfica get a lot of talent from South America and then sell them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Seen this chat a million times before. If they were put into that EPL environment everything would change for them and within a couple of seasons they’d be a different proposition for any opponent.

A European Super League is what’s needed but not the ridiculous closed shop idea that was originally touted. Preferably a two or more tier league with relegation and promotion into it to ensure the pyramid of the game remains intact and the potential for clubs to work towards promotion into it remains an aspiration while badly run clubs find themselves relegated.

For now all Celtic can do is win the league again and make sure they’re in the Champions League again next year and perform better using the experience from this season. Same goes for other traditionally big clubs from smaller leagues like Ajax. Club Brugge qualified from their group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Liverpool end up with more points than any other English side & yet are the only English side not to win there group

That's footall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Some oddties this year and to me the thing that makes this so exciting.

Take Bayern... taken the maximum of 18 points and still having a 50% chance of meeting PSG or Liverpool in the last 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just wanted to add something.

Today I am reading 'kicker' soccer mag which is Germany's biggest soccer mag. Many decades old, print and everything.

And they polled their readers - 200,000 votes - and 67% said VAR must go. I'm not the only one thinking this then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And that's from a country where it's actually been used properly. I'm starting to think it's time to get rid as well, because I was sure it'd stamp out corruption and bias but if anything, it's made it even more obvious while nobody is ever held accountable.

My greatest worry about getting rid of VAR is that the TV analysts and companies would continue to use it, or their own form of it, and they'd be highlighting incorrect offside decisions etc every single week, and that would really annoy fans if your team suffered a bad refereeing decision.

I would definitely keep it for offside which is a clearcut decision.

The handball thing is doing my head in though.

• Advertisement

Agree about the handballs.

Some of them are just crazy now. The accidental handball seems to have been banished from the game, nearly every ball to arm contact now seems to be an automatic penalty.

In the future, forwards will be aiming for defenders arms as much as the net.

Advertisement