Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing the border in army fatigues

Options
  • 07-06-2022 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

My father was in the FCA in the late 60s and he tells the story(I don't know how much of it is true) that they where in camp for a number of weeks in some barracks in Donegal. The regular guys brought them to see some other barracks or something of interest to them and that they had a few refreshments along the way back to barracks.

They were driving along anyways and noticed that they had crossed over the border. Needless to say they hightailed it and arrived back to base without any incident. To point out this was before the troubles had started.

Out of interest if they had been spotted by the army/RUC would they have got into any bother.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Notmything

It was not a common incident but sometimes happened.

Remember it happening in 1997 while I was in Monaghan. A patrol from another battalion which was doing a stint accidentally crossed into the north, it was laughed off at the time, but officially there was a complaint.

Apparently there had to be an official complaint after each incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

It has happened on both sides. Sometimes a UK patrol entered the Republic and vice versa. Including during the troubles.

UK helicopters have landed in Irish barracks too, usually an emergency issue.

While they are all technically classed as an incursion, there was never any hassle.

Also, knowing guys from NI who were part of the PDF, they usually went home in civvy clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I heard after an annual camp a good while ago now, two chaps went to the UK in full uniform where they were arrested!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

On a different forum, I know a guy that was in the Royal Marines that was part of patrols over the border during the Troubles, though he is less than complementary about the SAS patrols along the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

Thanks guys, the replies answered my question.

He remembers two things mainly about going on camp back then. Lots of shouting and plenty of cheep beer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement