Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 6 Public Hearings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to admit I'm a bit puzzled over Bannon agreeing to testify. Is it a case of self-preservation in realising he can't avoid it any longer and that they know the claims of executive privilege won't hold up (and they're claiming that Trump is waiving the executive privilege to save face)? Is it that he's planning on purposefully lying under oath to stymie and obfuscate the investigation on behalf of Trump? Is he just going to plead the fifth but wants to find out on behalf of Trump what questions they're going to ask him, or even just for his own benefit in a show of strength that he didn't break under questioning because he's a patriot so donate now to my channel etc...?

I don't see Bannon flipping on Trump or giving up the goods, particularly if Trump did authorise a letter saying he's waiving executive privilege (which I think has already been proven he doesn't have for the majority of questions the Committee investigators could ask him). So why agree to testify?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Because it’s 1 week ahead of his trial for contempt of congress (refusing subpoena)

Bannons legal counsel claimed their client was under executive privilege

But a new letter from Trump clearly stated he had never invoked executive privilege

therefore last night the DOJ filed against Bannon in his court case saying this ruse does nothing to move the needle, he hasn’t even agreed to produce documents for the committee - and his lawyers lied to the January 6 committee about his justification for not testifying.

Came to say tomorrows Hearing has been moved slightly from 10 AM to 1 PM

and we will hear from an oathkeeper spokesperson after all.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1546479464816812033?s=21&t=HfiAERWi54mle4WcJTihmQ

For those on thread who have expressed public perception and polling etc. being key criteria to look out for, Jan 6 polling shows significant shifts in data

The Big Lie is eroding among Republicans too:

"

• Three in 10 Republican voters (31%) said Trump is at least somewhat responsible for the events that led to the Jan. 6, 2021 riot, comparable to the 29% who said the same in a June 10-12 survey just after the select committee’s first major public hearing. Among the overall electorate, 59% blame Trump for Jan. 6 — up from 57% last month.
    • Compared with a survey conducted June 24-26, the shares of Republicans who said Trump misled people about the 2020 election outcome (up 5 percentage points to 30%), attempted to overturn the 2020 result (up 5 points to 45%) and claimed without evidence that the last presidential contest was fraudulent (up 7 points to 44%) all increased in the wake of Hutchinson’s testimony.

"

As for ratings Nielsen reported there was a huge upward swing for the testimony of Cassidy Hutchinson. The first hearing began with 20+ M live viewers an subsequent hearings which have not aired primetime, have had about half that:

Hutchinson’s riveting testimony about former President Donald Trump’s temper as plans to overturn the 2020 election fell apart was seen by 13.17 million people last week, the Nielsen company said.

That’s a 28% jump from the 10.25 million who watched the committee’s previous daytime hearing, and 23% over the average from the four daytime hearings. The committee’s first hearing, the only one televised in prime-time, was seen by 19.4 million people.

The committee had hurriedly scheduled a public session to hear Hutchinson’s testimony after expecting to be off until mid-July. Its leaders built up anticipation by trying to keep the identity of its witness a secret in advance.

Given that many people later heard parts of Hutchinson’s testimony online or in news reports, the actual number of people who heard what she said was bigger than the live coverage.

It all certainly gives credence to why now suddenly the right is furious that they themselves chose to dismiss themselves from the Select Committee and why Bannon et al. seem more eager than ever to testify in front of millions of critically thinking Americans.

Just hours after appearing in the January 6 hearings, Alex Jones' ex-wife also piped up to say she had some information about Jones she was willing to share with the committee.

The Committee will reconvene publicly on July 21 (Next Thursday). According to news reports it's the last hearing the committee plan/planned on needing to disclose the beginning middle and end of their public hearing of evidence. With that said, there were also rumors additional hearings may go into August if addendum is required.

Jan 6 committee published this. I'm amazed it wasn't shredded, burned, or eaten.

This draft which evidences the march on the capital was the objective of the Ellipse rally, also evidence that there was nothing "Peaceful" about it mentioned.

Saw a few different sites reporting that the upcoming witness Trump is alleged to have tried to contact is a former White House staffer who wouldn't have regular (if any) contact with Trump post-WH, can corroborate Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony, and was contacted by Trump in the days after Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony.

If true, I can't see how the DoJ couldn't launch a full investigation into it.

• Advertisement

Holy

holy

holy moly shiiit.

We already knew Biden had to flush out most of Trump's secret service detail (and several National Guardsmen) on concerns of corrupt loyalties to the former president, but holy **** ****. This goes high.

Next (and last for now) hearing announced for this Thursday, 8pm ET (1am Irish time). Focusing on Trump's actions during the actual riot itself.

They're going for primetime viewing, so this could be where everything comes together and we get the most damning evidence.

reportedly as early as tomorrow the committee will have a recovered copy of the deleted USSS text messages.

Bennie Johnson who has been chairing all the hearings has tested positive for Covid. Hearing still set to go ahead, presumably with Liz Cheney chairing the hearing.

• Advertisement

The USSS Texts are purged. The National Archives are losing their ****. They're not in any backup system either.

Committee response to the purge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Prime time viewing ?

Surely this is gone now given netflix and all the other streaming services.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This has to be a cover up, Im not buying that they cannot get to those texts forensically when they do it all the time for threats to national security, like restoring phone data is literally one of their capabilities. Trump packed his secret service detail with his own supporters so no doubt they dont want texts from Jan 6th coming out.

Might stay up for this hearing tonight as Ive no work tomorrow. Should be good if they have gone with the prime time slot.

I value the irony of the post given what I've already seen earlier in the thread.

I'm sure it's for nothing that Trump has been trying to counterprogram all day. You know, because 'nobody cares'

It's very possible. I guess we will find out more tonight, but they're certainly looking into it as a Criminal offense. A major concern is the DHS Inspector General knew about the destroyed evidence in February, and it is only being disclosed now. The DHS IG is a Trump appointee, who also reportedly lied on his resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Laughter erupts as January 6 hearing is shown footage of GOP Sen. Josh Hawley fleeing Capitol while riot raged - just hours after he hailed Stop the Steal protesters with raised fist

Can someone post the video? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Josh Hawley ? Stupid gobshite with him being all high and mighty prior to the riot. Cowards is what many in the GOP are, in that they’ll say one thing in public yet we can see in this video and in the audio of others, that they know this **** was wrong.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They have to be on a server somewhere unless there has been a real forensic deletion in order to hide them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I posted a link to the Political Cartoons thread to someone that's put the Hawley fleeing vid to music. Hilarious.

On a more serious note, Pat Cipollone is, in a kind of nefarious way, fascinating to watch testify. So very careful in his choice of words, shows just a tiny bit of emotion on occasion usually surprise at the obviousness of the question. Sydney Powell is some bizarre zombie/aggressor combination.

As for the Congresspersons running the show, Raskin got better as he got more time in front of the camera. Kinzinger kind of gives off the 'mighty mouse' vibe - "Here I come to save the day!" Thompson was out for the last one but exudes dignity and competence. And Liz Cheney would annihilate another GOP candidate in a POTUS debate. I despise her politics but she'd be a reasonable, and typical, GOP POTUS candidate someday. Be great to see her running against TFG if he announces. That'd be some debate. I wonder if she loses her seat in Congress (to whatever pond scum the GOP nominate) would she run for POTUS as an independent and, if so, would she siphon votes from Biden or whoever the GQP candidate is, TFG/DeSatan/one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah the Secret Services excuses that they lost the text messages in a system migration stretches credibility but then to say they cant find them forensically smashes credibility completely, they're the Secret Service ffs. It begs the question if some agents in Trumps detail were working with his goal of stopping the elections results being certified and now they want to cover up text messages that were discussing it.

Anyway good hearing last night. There can be no doubt now that during this 187 minutes Trump had a rake of staffers from Mark Meadows to NSA guys to Kayleigh McEnany to Ivanka screaming at him to issue a video denouncing the riot and telling them to go home but he wouldnt do it. He just sat in the dining room for more than 3 hours watching the riots on Fox News and did nothing. The only thing that was missing was something like him ordering cheeseburgers from McDonalds while watching the riots, that would have been peak Trump.

Id be shocked if criminal charges dont come from this. The committee have proved up that he knew protesters were armed with weapons, he was watching minute by minute coverage of the riot and still he did nothing. He completely smashed his oath of office, of that there is no doubt and for once he doesnt have any plausible deniability.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's sad for me to think this, but if it weren't for Mark Milley ensuring the military would not get involved, things might have been very different on 6 January. If TFG could corrupt the Secret Service (!) and bring a violent mob down to the Capitol, had he had the military behind him, goodbye Constitution.

If the American people can't rely on the Secret Service's integrity (they also have other jobs like they chase counterfeiters), there really is nothing left.

Wow keep it classy

Does the person running this official account know that Sarah Matthews is currently the Communications Director for House GOP side of the Climate Crisis Committee?

I believe they deleted that tweet once that was pointed out to them.

Regardless, I don't see why they think things like this are some sort of "gotcha". It's people trying to show some degree of professionalism and generally not sh*tting on their own doorstep while trying to find new jobs. I left my last job in bad enough circumstances, but I maintained a professional persona publicly because you never know when you'll cross paths with the same people again and I didn't want to come across negatively.

Then again, my bosses didn't try to overthrow democracy. I can credit them with that at least.

I see why Fox News viewers might think these hearings don't even exist

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

State of him. Took him about an hour to record a 3 minute video.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yesterday was a hard word for him haha. You'd miss him all the same.

The Secret Service agents named by Cassidy Hutchinson, as well as the SUV driver, have all retained private counsel.

The question is, are they doing so to try avoid answering the Committees questions, or to separate themselves from the Secret Service lawyers to provide more assistance?

Unfortunately my money would be on the former. And are they funding these lawyers themselves or is someone helping pay for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I must say I was sceptical of this very partisan looking show trial. But as they have exonerated Trump and cleared his way to reelection, I guess it was fair enough

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement