Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only 40, Feel 60

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

This! 🙌 If losing weight was that easy, then more than 5% of people would be successful long term rather than the rest of people left with regained weight plus some, low self esteem and engagement in disordered eating

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Scientifically it could not be any simpler. It might not be the easiest thing in the world mentally, which is why it is important that people are armed with correct knowledge and advice.

More than 5 percent of people are successful long term.

Judging from the standard of knowledge on here, and posts like yours commending absolute psuedo-science word vomit - I'm not one bit surprised that the average joe struggles to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah the female equivalent is called menopause :D OP it may not be an issue for you yet, but perimenopause can cause stiffness and soreness in some women and weight gain too.

I joined a great app/club last year called second nature. Its a lifestyle type approach and very effective. I lost a stone and have mostly kept it off. Im stuck at eleven stone now but reluctant to diet as it can get into a vicious circle. Swimming weekly now which is fantastic exercise and hope to do more of it over the summer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Sorry Fred, you think you are fully informed on this subject but you simply aren't. You are spouting what you consider to be common sense and common knowledge but unfortunately a deep reading of endocrinology shows something vastly different. In fact, many of the links that you raise between obesity and other conditions have been disproven, as the methodology in many studies has been found to attribute the deaths of obese people to their obesity, regardless of the actual cause of death. What you're saying amounts to scaremongering. BMI is a measurement that was never meant to be a health indicator, and is actually irrelevant to non Caucasian bodies.

My spiel is not "be happy". If you read back my spiel is "be physically active" but hey, why let the facts get in the way of a pile of presupposition?

It is possible to be fat and in perfect health. The opposite is also true. It is possible to be thin and in terrible health and it is possible to be fat and in terrible health. What counts is health promoting behaviours. When weight loss produces improved blood markers, this is generally due to the introduction of health promoting behaviours that can, incidentally, result in weight loss. But weight loss in and of itself does not improve issues like insulin resistance, PCOS etc. And weight cycling, which is the result of 95% of weight loss attempts, has been found to increase blood pressure, risk of heart disease and stroke.

I'm not getting into the argument in depth here because it's irrelevant to the OP and doesn't offer her anything. You have made up your mind on the subject and been pretty vitriolic towards me with it. If you actually care you will do the research on this, but I doubt you actually care.

Good luck OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

You've come into a thread where the OP cannot get up off the ground and feels like they are 60. They are 4 stone overweight. They clearly need to change. Telling them that they will kill their metabolism by trying to lose weight (a lie!), and telling them that they need to be happy and fat, when they can barely move as a result, when they can barely run a few metres. - is absolutely pathetic nonsense. Utter lies, hippy pseudo-science. It's dangerous, nonsense 'advice' and you should be ashamed for giving it.

Those links between obesity and the illnesses I mentioned have not been disproven, that is a complete lie (again!). I never brought up BMI, so stop arguing against points I never introduced. Weight loss is actually the strongest predictor of improved insulin sensitivity (another lie from you! who would have guessed?!)

You telling me to do research is like a flat earther telling someone to do research. Embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

@Fred Astaire reel in on the insults. The OP is looking for advice. Offer them advice when replying to their thread and lay off the insults to the other posters or do not post. It's up to the OP to decide what advice to heed or ignore.

HS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

This has all got nitty gritty in here. Whatever about diet, movement is the number 1 thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paul321123

Not by any means an expert on this but an old saying of eat less move more springs to mind, good healthy eating together with regular exercise and you should see results, maybe go to doctor to get full bloods to make sure your not deficient in anything, do something you enjoy and try find an exercise buddy, you can motivate each other, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's really not. Weight control is far more about what you eat than how much you exercise, particularly for people who are already significantly overweight. Ever heard the sayings "You can't outrun a bad diet" or "Abs are made in the kitchen"? They sound trite, but they're true for the vast majority of people.

The OP needs to address her diet before she does anything else. I know you said you eat well, OP, but I'm sorry, you wouldn't be 4 stone overweight if that was the case.

I'd start by tracking literally everything that passes your lips on My Fitness Pal for a couple of weeks. And I mean everything. A *lot* of people are in complete denial about how much they actually eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

OP, how’s your sleep?

Three legs of good health are sleep, diet and physical activity. You’ve gotten loads of input on food and exercise. If you’re a parent, you may have disrupted sleep.

I found it was very hard to get back to my normal weight after kids until I figured out my sleep. I was just so exhausted during the day I didn’t have energy for anything beyond ticking over and keeping the family going.

Now, I get good enough sleep and everything else got easier. If I have a disrupted nights sleep, I try to take a 30- 40 min nap in the day. Lunchtime or something. Eat at the desk and instead use the breaktime for sleep. Car, recline seat & sleep-mask, or if you’re at home, into bed with the curtain closed. If your children are small, nap when they nap.

If I wake in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep, I get up and do some work, or laundry. Sleep later in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Will_Ray

I am also in my mid-thirties. Small changes in your daily routine can significantly affect your total weight. Walking you mentioned in your practice is a good exercise. Yoga is a good option, but it is not an intense exercise that can help you lose weight in other ways like you are more mindful about eating and drinking, thus the way less likely to have obese. Besides yoga, you shall practice some intense exercises that help keep your body and mind healthy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement