Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric cooker fitting cost and requirements.

• 08-06-2022 2:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭

My parents house was built in 1990. They was a switch installed for an ectric cooker. However this was never used.

They've always had gas cookers.

We are planning on changing.

Does the wall behind the cooker have to be tilled or fire proof or something?

Also, they'd need an extractor fan fitted.

Outside of the the cost of the appliances what would be a rough estimate to get this done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You need to assess if the cable has been taken from the switch and down below the counter top to allow for a cooker to be connected. Carefully open up the switch, you should have the supply cable, see if the other cable is there? Have you pulled out the existing gas cooker? Is there a breaker in the board for the electric cooker? (often on the top row, possibly 32A)

If no cable has been taken from the switch the wall will need to be chased if it is a solid wall, if it is plaster board it might be easier to run the cable.

The cost will depend on how much of the work is complete and how straight forward the job is. Could be anything from €100 for a basic connection of a cooker, to €300 if additional works needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks for the reply.

Essentially there's a switch like this on the wall.

I do know if you swith it on a light comes on. Also, it switch on the fuse box in the hall that says electric cooker.

It's a solid wall and I'm about cables.

I take it an electrical would do most of the work or would plasterers be required also.

Sounds like there is power going to the switch anyway. When you pull out the gas cooker are there any electrical cables behind it or an electrical box on the wall?

If a cable does need to be chased into the wall most electricians would do a rough fill and say to get a plaster if you want a perfect finished. If you are any way hand you would probably be able to fill the wall and sand/paint it. The wall might not need to be chased, you would need to assess if it is a solid wall or not.

Nope nothing there apart from the white switch.

Does the wall need to be tilled or anything?

Thanks.

A gas cooker would typically have higher temperatures on the hob than an electric cooker. No the wall does not need to be tiled, but you are probably best to put something behind that is easily cleaned. An easy thing to do is get some coloured glass (600mm wide) and TEK7 it to the wall behind the cooker so it can be easily cleaned.

Personally I would not recommend going for an "all in one" electric cooker, if you could accommodate a separate oven and hob, as when one breaks you don't need to replace both. The downside is that you would probably need to replace the counter top with a cut out for the new hob. If you can consider raising the oven up higher too, much safer and easier.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

We're dealing with a very basic kitchen here. Just stand alone appliances and one small press with a counter.

Would like a higher oven but it wouldn't really work for us really.

Will certainly get a splash back.

I've had the same debate myself regarding replacing appliances for my mother. I also found the all in one appliances to be quite expensive.

I've raised up ovens for two people and both love them, would never go back. This also leaves scope to replaced the old low down oven with 3 drawers, utensils + 2 pot drawers, perfect for when cooking.

Hundred percent agree with you but i dont know how we'd manage to fit it at the moment now along the wall.

There's the sink, tall fridge, gas cooker cooker and about 30 centimetres space.

Advertisement