Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New development at Leixlip Gate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lasitpant19

@aisehi i had signed the contract a few days back. I had booked the house at the 1st viewing. I have been told dec 2022 at max jan 2023.

From the day of booking, i was given a timeline of 3 weeks to sign the contracts but it took a few extra days to sort out things at the bank for an offer letter. I requested an extension and got it for another 2 weeks. Sharing the info in case it helps anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 aisehi

Just talked with somone who viewed it on Aug 30. And till now everyone has been given an approx completion of dec/jan 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Cairn have submitted a planning application for phase 2 of Harpur Lane. It extends south towards the motorway. The application is in pre validation so you won’t see details until that stage is completed..

It’s application number 221226 on the KCC planning site: http://webgeo.kildarecoco.ie/planningenquiry#

I finally got around to viewing the Harpup Lane show houses today.

Three and four bed were on view.

We thought the three bed was much better option than the four bed with a bigger living room and three double - at a push- bedrooms. The four bed was only marginally bigger but the three of the bedrooms were cramped and the living room was also small.

In both the garden was tiny; adding a very necessary small shed would take up half the space. In front two cars would be a squeeze!

For far less money any of the older houses for sale in Leixlip are far better value long term, although I appreciate the benefits of buying a new build!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 madhan

@Rosahane Great, thanks for the review. I’ve been following your comments about Leixlip . All genuine and honest ones. The only drawback I see is that there are no superstores in a walkable distance, Either it’s 20 or 30 mins. And the attic is not easily convertable as per builders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 madhan

@Rosahane Great, thanks for the review. I’ve been following your comments about Leixlip . All genuine and honest ones. The only drawback I see is that there are no superstores in a walkable distance, Either it’s 20 or 30 mins. And the attic is not easily convertable as per builders

That's pretty much it. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see something on the commercial zoned land on the left as you go to Intel. Whether that would be a good or bad thing is debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

I would be surprised if any “superstores” appeared on the plan for around Intel. KCC have an obsession with housing in Leixlip and have had numerous opportunities to rectify it over the past 50 years but continue to allow more and more houses to be built.

At this stage, if planning was given for a large grocery unit, who would occupy it ?.

Tesco are in the three towns surrounding Leixlip and Dunnes are in Maynooth and unlikely to commit to another unit so close by. SuperValu are already in Leixlip. Just consider that Lidl in Leixlip, was the old Hitchin Post pub, it’s not as if KCC earmarked that as a retail area.

As a nation, we will get numerous lectures about the planet and the harm that driving does, but if you allow bad planning over decades then you have to deal with the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

What are they looking for for the 3 beds in Harpur?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gotfoodforphil

For the B3 type 3-bed semi-d it’s €510,000 and €525,000

• Advertisement

Ty, spoke with an estate agent on it, who said they have sold none of the 3 beds, not sure is it a new phase or what. Surely if the drop to 500k they will sell?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bloody hell, that's crazy money!

There are other 3 & 4 bed houses in Leixlip, closer to the village, that will go for cheaper than that. To pay over 500k for a 3 bed that is nearly 3km from the town centre is absolute madness!

Did you speak with Leah in Hooke-McDonald or Hannah in Coonan?

I went to the first viewings in early Sept and it was panic panic panic to get your name against a house. I originally put us down for a B3 with a shady garden for €510,000, naively thinking I could barter them down to €500,000 by saying exclude the white goods, tiling allowance, etc. but they were having none of it. I even contacted Cairn to ask. Essentially laughed at for asking such a thick question.

They won’t lower those prices, the houses will sell, and even more so come January with the increased income ratios.

That said, not sure what they would mean by saying none of the 3 beds have sold…

The former.

Did you stick with the B3? Have you signed contracts?

In the brochure it doesn't mention anything about a tiling allowance, was it mentioned at the viewing?

The houses are currently on sale with a viewing this weekend again, maybe the current 3 beds have not sold? Unless I picked her up wrong and she said none are left but fairly sure it was none had really sold. Its costing 40k more for first time buyer selling at 510k, whereas Cairns is only losing 10k if they drop to 500k & saves a first time buyer 40k.

No, ultimately decided that we couldn’t afford the €40,000 differential that you’ve described. Plus, a part of me was a little pissed off at the greed of the estate agents and Cairn that they priced the houses as such, but it’s the market we’re in and they’re not charity’s either.

Have gone sale agreed elsewhere in Leixlip on a nice second hand home (for a lot of money too I might add, unfortunately), hopefully that comes through. I’ll keep an eye on Harpur Lane for sure in the miracle chance the prices drop, but can’t justify it in any other way.

I hope you can get yourself sorted, it sounds like you’re in a similar situation.

Sorry, forgot to mention that the tiling allowance was mentioned at the viewing, maybe it’s changed now.

Best of luck with the house you went Sale Agreed on. It does seem like there is better value on second homes out there (if you can find one you like) even factoring in refurbishment costs. New builds carry a premium price.

Cairns profit margin % has been increasing the last couple of years & probably will again this year. Unfortunately all this greed & need to make even more profit drives up the price for all us mere mortals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I know I'm a bit late to the discussion but, fwiw, I used to dislike the idea of a new build. Fortunately, the wife was insistent on one after her sister bought a new-build a few years beforehand. I'm in the house now going on a year and I have to say, it would take a lot for me to swap for an older house. I get the "not knowing who your neighbours are" and smaller driveway/garden, but the actual house itself doesn't compare with older houses. To having a consistently warm house, cheap energy bills, wide hallways/rooms and an overall much brighter house is amazing. No worry about upgrading/renovations either as everything is brand new. Pros and cons of course, the extra distance too from the town centres is a deal-breaker for many, but I've lived in 7 second-hand homes the past 10 years, some nice some not, and I'd now always take/recommend a new build (unless you're fairly well off and can afford a similar spec 2nd house house - but they all go for mad money).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Keep_Shining

Anyone know about social housing here at Harpur Lane?

Will be 10 % of the development as application was approved prior to increase to 20 %. Reading the planning permission, Cairn had proposed a mix of duplexes, apartments, etc. for part V compliance but the council refused and said the allocation was inadequate and should include 3-bed terrace/semi-d’s as well. Updates since on the planning file have only said that Cairn are engaging with the council on finalising part V compliance, but nothing has been submitted yet. They should have sorted this over a year ago to be honest.

To add, it’s worth reading through all the planning (like I did) if you have a few hours, lots of interesting information. You wouldn’t believe how many times Cairn have been like “**** it, do it whatever way” and then there’s back and forth with the council for months/years, makes you realise how **** developers can be e.g. drainage plan not compliant, mature trees cut down, biodiversity requirments ignored, etc.

It’s a fun read!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Are you sure about those cheap bills?Hearing more and more about and FROM people with elctric powered 'heat pumps' which are crippling them with four figure bills :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I can't really speak to other people's experiences but mine has been great so far. There's been a few complaints from some of the neighbours in the Facebook group, but negative stories travel a lot further than positive ones. Some people as well have issues with their pump, are doing things wrong or there's a design issue with the house affecting its operating. Most of the people I'm talking to have cheaper bills than they had previously. My bills have halved anyway (compared to my previous house with gas, house built in 2010's and slightly bigger) but I have heard of some people's going the opposite way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LovelyDublin

Hey everyone, A few questions:

1. Was there any real/huge issue in your snagging ?
    2. When all houses/apartments will be completed?
    3. Could you introduce a good company for flooring and carpet? reasonable prices and good quality
    4. A general question: If their solicitor sent completion notice, can we extend that 14 days?

Thanks

Post edited by LovelyDublin on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

10% is only the mandatory social allocation. The council can still and probably will purchase additional homes in the development for social allocation.

Advertisement