Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIL 2022-2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Limerick Derby on the 8th of October Young Munster v Garryowen is now 5pm Kick Off

good to see clubs looking to change things to assist get bigger crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Purple Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gatekeeper23

Steve Crosbie reportedly gone to Tarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luke9311

thought he was well intruely retired and out of the game focusing on his business of saunas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Stainalert

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Did John McKee and Marcus Hanan join Terenure?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes, the standard kick-off time for AIL games is 2:30pm on a Saturday but if agreed by both clubs it can be changed. In years gone by Young Munster V Garryowen was on a Saturday evening with the opposite fixture on a Friday evening so I'd expect the return fixture on 1st of April 2023 to be moved also

I don't know exactly how true the next part is but apparently the two clubs did it as an agreement to appease the away fans

appease away fans for what?

Anyway good to see clubs trying to do something different from norm.

To boost ticket sales and show some form of friendship between rival clubs... Again not sure how true that is

• Advertisement

Boost attendance maybe but you said appease away fans. Why would it affect garryowen more.

No idea, but according to pub talk (the original wikipedia) GFC fans prefer Saturday Night games and YM fans prefer Friday nights

I will openly admit that I have zero evidence of this

1A

Cork Con v Young Munster - Great opening encounter. Seems to be a fair bit of change with Con and I understand a few of the old guard have hung up the boots. I think I am going to side with Young Munster on this one. .

Garryowen v Trinity - Trinity look pretty different up front this season but still expect them to challenge. Going for another away win.

Shannon v Terenure - Great to see Shannon back in 1A. They will bring a lot of energy and excitement to the division. Tough ask for them in their first game and I think Terenure will prevail. With the recruitment Terenure have made I can't see them not challenging strongly.

UCD v Clontarf - Might come a little bit early for UCD but I would expect them to go well this season. They have a load of great players. Clontarf look like they are stronger again this season which is bad news for the rest of 1A.

Lansdowne v Ballynahinch - Big season for us ahead. Very tricky start to the league with what I understand is a much improved Ballynahinch team. Excited to see some of our young talent play.

1B

Armagh v Buccaneers - With Eddie O'Sullivan on board and a host of Connacht players to choose from Buccaneers look like they will challenge very strongly in 1B. Haven't heard too much about Armagh but would expect them to be very competitive at the very least. Buccs to sneak this one.

Highfield v Banbridge - Highfield probably not as strong as they have been but would still expect a home win here

Malone v UCC - Great new coaching team on board in UCC but might take a little while to settle. Malone to win

Old Belvedere v St Marys - Belvo have impressed in early season and Marys look stronger as well. Think both of these teams will challenge for honours. Going with Marys tomorrow.

Old Wesley v Naas - Naas have recruited well and look strong for the season ahead whilst Wesley seem to have lost a few big players. Think Naas will win this one well.

Had a small preview of division 2 written up but managed not to save it... and not arsed writing it up again.

Could end up at any of the Garryowen, Shannon or Bohs games tomorrow

anyone else going to a game?

2A

Blackrock v Ballymena

Barnhall v Crescent

Navan v Cashel

Queens v Dolphin

Bohs v Nenagh

2B

Belfast Harlequins v Sligo

Dungannon v Galwegians

Enniscorthy v Greystones

Corinthians v Rainey

Malahide v Wanderers

2C

Ballina v Skerries

Bangor v Sundays Well

Bruff v Omagh

Clonmel v Midleton

Instonians v Tullamore

1A

Cork Con 19 Young Munster 18

Garryowen 14 Trinity 50

Lansdowne 31 Ballynahinch 34

Shannon 3 Terenure 39

UCD 19 Clontarf 24

1B

Armagh 22 Buccaneers 20

Highfield 26 Banbridge 20

Malone 12 UCC 36

Old Wesley 37 Naas 7

Old Belvedere 32 St Marys 28

2A

Blackrock 38 Ballymena 24

Barnhall 44 Crescent 27

Navan 20 Cashel 19

Queens 69 Dolphin 12

Bohs 5 Nenagh 20

2B

Belfast Harlequins 26 Sligo 7

Dungannon 33 Galwegians 7

Enniscorthy 15 Greystones 26

Corinthians 34 Rainey 33

Malahide 17 Wanderers 14

2C

Ballina 21 Skerries 29

Bangor 30 Sundays Well 21

Bruff 20 Omagh 18

Clonmel 18 Midleton 8

Instonians 39 Tullamore 21

Post edited by Lost Ormond on

See a Michael Kearney on the teamsheet for Wesley. Is that the Ex Ulster Clontarf 2nd row ?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭good_afternoon

I have no idea but i wouldn't say so. No. 17 sub prop but teams don't always use proper numbers. Also, unless it was for a few pound, youd think hed plough on with tarf. Small bit of a surprise with Hinch beating lansdowne? Apparently Hinch recruitment went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

With everyone fit the Hinch backline will be as good as what’s in 1A, although I Imagine Fergus Jemphrey will go back to the 7’s programme at some stage, fantastic result for them all the same.

Garryowen having 50 put on them at home was a huge margin, didn’t expect the Terenure winning margin to be so large either.

Matches up with Garryowens pre AIL form though. Played 3 cup games lost by 7 to Munsters in charity cup beat Midleton in senior cup comfortably(but they're going to be struggling in 2C so what else should G'owen do) then Garryowen lost 28-22 to Nenagh in senior cup.

They lost a few from last years squad and dont have depth either as their 2nds have been poor as well.

Didn't expect such big wins for Trinity and Terenure - fair play to both clubs.

Disappointing result for us - we went to sleep for about 20 minutes and it really cost us. Ballynahinch definitely a step up from last season

The Con & Young Munsters game looks like a really tight game from the highlights

UCD Clontarf looked pretty close as well

Some great 1A games this week:

BALLYNAHINCH v SHANNON

CLONTARF v LANSDOWNE

DUBLIN UNIVERSITY v UCD

TERENURE COLLEGE v CORK CONSTITUTION

YOUNG MUNSTER v GARRYOWEN

1B

BANBRIDGE v OLD BELVEDERE

BUCCANEERS v OLD WESLEY

NAAS v HIGHFIELD

ST MARY'S COLLEGE v MALONE

UCC v CITY OF ARMAGH

• Advertisement

im thinking:

hinch

lansdowne (just about)

trinity

nure

cookies

1b:

going for banbridge

wes

highfield

marys

and ucc

i think whoever wins tarf vs lansdowne will have a big say in the season ahead come business end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Sean O'Brien has signed for Naas following the branch's refusal to allow him play for Tullow. Some coup for them.

Landsdowne must have a direct line in to Leinster, some big players released for tomorrow.

Great for the AIL to have him back playing in it

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭good_afternoon

Harry Burne and who would be the big ones there?

Temi Lasisi also contracted if i'm not mistaken - don't get me wrong, I think anyone who isnt in the match day squad for their province should be free to play for their clubs, but correct me if i'm wrong, I don't think Harry Byrne has played much for Lansdowne in recent years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He is in the academy rather than being contracted per say.

Lasisi should be playing week in week out for Lansdowne (all academy players should be if not featuring for their province or provincial A team; especially props).

100% and i dont think that just goes for lansdowne that should go for every club an ail player is registered with... so tarf, con, cookies, garryowen and so on and on should have access to them each week where there not playing for their province or not injured.

Hoping to get into Cookies Garryowen after Nenagh Barnhall tomorrow.

should be huge crowd at the game in the Killing fields which will be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would assume the issue with players featuring for their clubs. When not selected for their province is training. When would they get time to train with the clubs? It’s all good and well releasing them to play. If they have never trained with the rest of the team though it might not work very well.

Harry Byrne is obviously playing to get some degree of match fitness before coming back to Leinster. He has probably only managed 4-5 games in the last 12 months.

Advertisement