Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird wiring when changing light switch to smart light switch

Options
  • 08-06-2022 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello World

Living in Dublin, I decided to swap my bedroom light switch for a smart switch.

Looking at the existing switch I see two brown and one blue wires, so I purchased an Aqara single rocker switch with neutral (Smart Wall Switch H1 (With Neutral))

The new smart switch has ports for Neutral, Live and Load 1 (N,L,L1).

As I began to dismantle the old light switch I found that of its three unmarked ports, only two were in use.

Diagrammed below, the blue and one of the brown wires use the same port, 1 & 2 below.

My questions are:

A. Is the existing switch wired strangely?

B. Am I correct to assume in the diagram below that 1 is neutral, 2 is Load-1 and 3 is Live?

C. Did I buy the correct Aqara switch or should I have bought without neutral?

D. Can I map the diagram below to the Aqara ports as follows. 1 to Aqara N. 2 into Aqara L1. 3 into Aqara L.

Best Answer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A. No

B. No

C. No, you should have purchased one that did not require a neutral.

D. No, because your existing switch does not have a neutral. For your smart switch to work a neutral is required.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

"Looking at the existing switch I see two brown and one blue wire"

Edit,

Nevermind,

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

If you need to ask those questions, then you have no business fiddling around with 220V electrics. Get an electrician.

Advertisement