Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-binary person hospitalised following vicious attack in Dublin City

Comments

There are seemingly infinite amounts of genders you can identify as so that's absolutely impossible to be binary. If someone wants to identify as whatever they want, it's up to them. That's their personal choice

With sexuality, I find it hard to understand how any sexual attraction can't be quite easily summed up as straight (only interested in people of the opposite sex), gay (only interested in people of the same sex) or bi (attracted to people of either sex, no matter how slight). There are people who wish to reject those terms and invent other terminology for themselves (queer, gender-queer, etc) and that's their prerogative. That's their choice

With sex it is binary.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,366 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Scumbags attacking people is awful regardless of their sexuality or what they identify as.

I doubt these skangers would only target LGBTQ people so I doubt this was necessarily an attack based in prejudice, but that doesn't take away from the horrific nature of the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Scumbags in Dublin and other towns/cities are attacking anyone , it doesn't matter who you are . law and order has broken down as theres no punishments in the courts anymore.

Look at that delivery driver in the East wall , ended up killing someone as he fought to save his bike to do his job, he and his colleagues have been attacked/robbed so often and now hes in court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭growleaves

D2 and D1 are very rough.

I was out with a gang of lads few years ago. One of them was black (friend of a friend, I didn't really know him). A group of lads came up to him on George's Street, one of them punched him in the face and walked on - never even spoke.

Last year I saw a group of kids fighting with a homeless guy on Grafton street. He punched one of the kids. I had to get the guards involved cause I was worried they were going to swarm him with kicks and punches.

As mentioned on another thread, I witnessed a 20+ person gang fight (guys and girls) on Nth O'Connell St last summer. Didn't take my phone out to record it, just walked clear. As dramatic as the kick-punch fight on Sth William St video which was doing the rounds at the time.

• Advertisement

I am open to correction but I'm pretty sure that people with various intersex conditions can be correctly identified as genetic males or females

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Genetically non-binary?? How does that work??

Link has now been pulled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't care for this gender nonsense in the thread (even though I do think it's nonsense)

The important issues here are if this incident even happened? If it was fabricated then the Gay Community News and possibly the examiner need to be sanctioned for inciting hatred.

This story seems absurd. They wrapped an alphabet pride flag around somebody who just happened to be off to Baseball training....in Ireland. The baseball enthuast beat the person up and stabbed the person too. Because he is a knife enthusiast, along with baseball.

And all of this happened in daylight, on one of the busiest roads in the city and it took 6 days for any mention in the media.

It's fabricated and it's there to cause division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I think the lesson here is believe what you want but don’t attempt force it on others?

We’re seeing the a lot of natural laws turned on their head; nowadays like a trend as if the last bastion of edgy even the greatest edge lords of our times chose to avoid and now all this whackiness is being exploited as if the last stone left unturned. It hasn’t - it’s been done; god knows but even as I trotted down the broadway in my stilletoes and faux mink fur not once did I actually believe I was a woman. And I certainly didn’t expect anyone to believe I was either.

• Advertisement

Even Gay Community News seem to have removed link. Hot Press are the only ones with the story still up.

this one even has a disclaimer that a user added the story.

All signs pointing towards our own Jussie Smolette.

Again, may be true. Seems unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes, there is a stink of Jussie Smollett around this. I would like to know how far this went. Was it reported to the Garda? Smollett did time for what he did. You'd never get that in Ireland but somebody somewhere made up a story to incite division and hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

To be honest I'd be fine with people playing up the LGBTQ angle if it meant that something would actually get done. Safer streets are better for everyone.

It's crazy when you think that someone may have been stabbed and beaten with a baseball bat in a busy part of Dublin City Center in broad daylight and there's almost no media coverage and doesn't seem to be any appeal from the Gardaí for information.

That's quite a serious incident regardless of the motivations behind it.

Edit: Looks like The Examiner has pulled the article so maybe we'll never know what happened here.

I think that the chances of this being reported to the police are slim to non-existent going by the looks of it.

I'd say more than likely this was a member of the community looking for attention on Instagram, getting a bit of traction from overzealous idiots just dying to play the victim and then being picked up by the impartial Gay Community News.

But if facts emerge that this was genuine, I'll be the among the first to voice my disgust.

I disagree entirely. I am not ok with anyone falsely playing the victim. It's such an insult to actual victims and does damage by creating even more doubt to genuine cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd say it's true.

Go wrap yourself in a pride flag and walk around D1 or D2. You won't be long attracting the attention of the knuckle draggers who inhabit that area.

That said, it's strange that it wasn't picked up straight away by any of the mainstream media. They still aren't really giving it much attention.

And even more strangely, gcn.ie is returning a 404 message saying the story can't be found. And hotpress.com is also returning a 404 message. I'm starting to reconsider my statement above where I said "I'd say it's true".

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

I don't mean people falsely playing the victim. Obviously if the story is made up then that's seriously wrong. I meant more in terms of even if the attack wasn't motivated by hate I would have no problem with the media pushing outrage over the hate aspect if it meant something would actually be done to keep the streets safe.

Of course, in reality, if someone is attacking people in Dublin city center with a baseball bat and a knife then it really shouldn't be the identity of the victim that determines how willing we are to take it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Fairly certain the honest to goodness gay lads don’t want to be tarnished with that. There’s a divide where folk within the ever broader “community” can devolve into diva territory; and beyond into quite divisive which are by their very nature overbearingly insufferable. Any good fella will tell you the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sex, as in genetic sex, is not binary. It's rare, but hospitals of all places would be familiar. The idea that hospitals have binary sex gender wards is pretty dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That only apples where it is not clear what the gender should be. Or where that are mild intersex traits.

There are also babies born with two set of genitals. Or people with chromosomes that are neither XX or XY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Justice for Juicy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

You said hospital wards are unisex. Incorrect. You won't find any men in maternity wards

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

What in the blue **** is non-binary?

This absolute nonsense needs to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

How dare you. Outrage, outrage. If women can have penises, then men can have babies. Am I doing this outrage thing right?

There seems to be 3 “sexes” nowadays. Male, Female and Attention-seeking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

It would appear activists fabricated the headline in order to normalise and mainstream trans terminology such as non binary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,694 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

One joke, but it's a different joke every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It's a trans-joke. Some bigots say its the same as it always was, but really it has changed into a different joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Archive of the GCN article : https://archive.ph/sWCf4.

Joe.ie :

https://archive.ph/XqZIl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement