Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange New Worlds 1x06 - 'Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think they slightly wrote themselves into a corner by wanting to be faithful to the original story they were adapting... the point of the original story is that you read it, feel revulsion at this practice of tormenting this one poor child so the rest of society can benefit, and then reflect on all the places we all accept similar (and actually much worse) 'deals with the devil' in our own society. So they wanted to make that point, but of course if you have Pike say; "nah, everything is awesome, we've become enlightened", then you sort of lose the message a bit and it just turns them into more clear cut baddies.

They could've maybe skirted around that though and instead cited humanity, as a species rather than (future) present day humanity, as having been built upon totally accepted human rights violations towards its most vulnerable all throughout its history. Even then though you'd expect Pike to say that they'd learned etc... it's a tricky one, where the story-homage was a great idea, but it's a tough one to really nail down within this particular sci-fi context.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I get that Alora isn't *really* making her point against the Federation but rather to us the viewer. I just would have liked to see Pike push back a little by saying something along the lines of "it doesn't matter how honest you are about the cost of ascension - that kid will still end up dead".

Advertisement