Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road least taken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

I hear ya re this whole illness going around. Family got hit early in December (First child). Second child then all Xmas period, meant the Moment i recovered from the First child i got something again with the 2nd 🤦‍♂️. Never stopped running though 😁. Probably should have but too stubborn.

hope you get over it soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Thanks, normally I'm a big fan of using the running to tell me how sick I am 😃 and plowing ahead anyway but I also have a math/stats exam Tuesday( my first one since leaving cert in 1991) so maybe recovery is an excuse to study, would much rather be running.

Bring the books with you on the run 😂

For the day that's in it, no sleep last night with the coughing and spluttering and as its over a week since this started I decided to ask the professionals. Answer- antibiotic, steroids, inhaler and

"Especially no running for at least ten days"

Ah well

Sure he didn’t say “at least 10hrs”?

• Advertisement

😃 I wish, steroid hunger has me on the biscuits already.

Hhhahah. Know that feeling just too well! Hope it will clear up soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hope you feel beter soon😊

The drugs work, by Tuesday I was feeling fine again, minimal cough and sleeping fine so gave it two more days and back at it. Seven days off in total.

Thursday - 4 mile at 7.30 per mile - nice 30 minute shake the dust off

Friday - 6 miles recovery - 8.30 per mile

Saturday - 8 miles aerobic at 7.45 per mile

Sunday - 11 miles at easy 8.10 (90 minute run)

I will drop back into the plan next week at -10% and see how I feel. Return to normal next week with 11 weeks to Boston.

Last week of the building phase, next week Marathon specific training. 11 weeks to go

MONDAY Off Day -nada

TUESDAY - 8 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up then 8 x (400m uphill, 45 seconds rest, 400m downhill at MP) 90 seconds rest between sets - 1 mile Warm Down. This was proper tough - picked a 7.8% hill in local park, I could hardly maintain 8.00 per mile up across the reps, 7.00 down. - 1200 feet of elevation gain, this session drops every second Tuesday with the next having 10- reps and the following having 12, dreading them already. But its Boston I'm training for so has to be done. (Vaporfly)

Hips in flitters for two days.

WEDNESDAY 6.5 mile Easy Run (8.15/m in Reebok Floatride)

THURSDAY Off Day - Nada

FRIDAY -10 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up 3 x 2 miles at HM(6.50 per mile) with 3 minutes jog 1 mile Warm Down (Nike Tempo)

SATURDAY 6.5 mile Easy Run(Reebok Floatride) 

SUNDAY 16 mile Aerobic Run (7.50/m in Alphafly)

I wore the supershoes a couple of times out of pure laziness and since I'm just getting back into hard sessions I wanted quick recovery(don't care)

• Advertisement

That's some day out there in north Dublin, hope the rest of you are getting the same. Had a fantastic easy 10 mile this morning, the sun really does do wonders for the mind and body.

Week 1 of Marathon specific training 10 weeks to go

MONDAY -Off Day

TUESDAY 9miles, consisting of:2 mile Warm Up : 6 x 1200 at 10k pace(6.45/m) with 2:30 rest :2 mile Warm Down

WEDNESDAY 6.5 mile Easy Run (8.15/m)

THURSDAY 6.5 mile Aerobic Run (7.45/m)

FRIDAY 3 mile Easy Run (8.20)

SATURDAY 16 miles, consisting of: 3 mile Warm Up : 3 x (2.5 miles at MP(7.15) / 1/2 mile easy) 4 easy 

SUNDAY 10 mile Easy Run (8.10 / m) -what a wonderful run along the estuary, sun and not a screed of wind.

My first straight forward no drama week in a while, 50+ miles. Still a bit off my stride, 90% of where I should be but better than nothing, finished two assessments for college early and tomorrow is a bank holiday, , whoopedy do

Week 2 of Marathon specific training.

MONDAY-Off Day

TUESDAY-10 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up 10 x (400m hill at 10k Pace(6.40), 45 seconds rest, 400m hill at MP(7.10) 90 seconds rest between sets -2 mile Warm Down 

WEDNESDAY 6.5 mile Easy Run (8.10)

THURSDAY Nada 

FRIDAY 10 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up -3 miles at HMP(6.50/mile), 3 minutes jog, 2 miles at HMP, 2 minutes jog 1 mile at 10k(6.40/mile) pace-2 mile Warm Down 

SATURDAY 6.5 mile Easy Run(8.30 saved my powder for Sunday)

SUNDAY 18 mile Marathon Simulation (on rolling hill course), consisting of: 8 miles easy(8.20/mile) - 8 miles at MP(7.15/mile), starting slower and finishing faster -2 miles easy cool down. Had a watch snaffu today, just before a water stop I scheduled for Malahide park(they have a great water fountainy thing) at about 7.9 miles I hit the lap button instead of the pause, its mad how little things can effect concentration. I spent the next 8 miles trying to figure out in my head how I could fix it, obviously I couldn't and the fact it was only 0.1 off a mile didn't occur to me till near the end of the run, technology so a divil, followed by snacking on crap all day :-)

Nice session all the same,

One interesting bit about this week was that the distance covered was identical to last week - 51.45 miles . Not intentional and didn't even notice till I looked it up for this post.

Week 3 of Marathon specific training.

MONDAY - Off Day

TUESDAY 9 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up 4 x mile at 10k Pace(6.45/m) with 3 minutes rest 4 x 400 at 5k Pace(6.15) with 1 minute rest 2 mile Warm Down 

WEDNESDAY 6 mile Easy Run (8.10/m)

THURSDAY 6 mile Easy Run (8.15/m) the watch told me to chill out so changed from aerobic to easy

FRIDAY 10 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up 2 x 3 miles at HM(6.55) with 3 minutes jog 2 mile Warm Down 

SATURDAY 3 mile Easy Run (supposed to be 5 but I did this super easy and dropped a couple of miles as the watch told me to rest after the previosu evenings session- 8.50/m)

SUNDAY 15 miles, consisting of: 7 miles easy 6 x (3 minutes at 10k Pace(6.45), then 2 minutes at MP (7.15/m)) 3 mile Easy

Six runs-51.1 miles-average pace 8.00/m- 6.50 hours of running.

This week I let the tech get inside my head, my dependable Coros has been telling me my runs are mainly only fair and not only that its telling me to rest for longer. I did find hitting the 10k intervals hard on Tuesday but running in and around trees doesn't help with the GPS or accuracy.

Rest tomorrow but Tuesday is a dinger, 12 x 400m uphill reps at 10k effort with downhill MP. There is a perfect 400m hill in the local park but it leaves my hips stiff for a couple of days, we will see if I am better equipped than the last time.

Is that the Boston plan? Seen a few others with this “10k pace up and MP down” stuff. Should basically mean “all at same pace” which might makes it easier to get right.

With regards to the watch telling you fair etc 🤣 always smile at that. Usually my watch tells me im detraining before a race and after workouts and peaking after easy runs. So basically this whole thing is shite and I turned it off. Definitely nothing I would go by.

That's the one, the BAA Level three, I use about 90% and add or take away if I see no value. I will try for the same up as down, thanks. Although maybe a smidgen slower up - the hill is just shy of 8%.

I agree with the watch but I'm a sucker for technology, the same way I wouldn't consider myself superstitious but if I see a magpie on my run I spend the rest of the run looking for its brother. too much info :-)

8% …. Pfff 🤣 the one I use is around 11% 🤣. Joke aside… a session I love - hill sprints. But usually I go up at mile effort and slow jog down.

enjoy 😁

And all of a sudden its March, had a step down week last week, dropping volume down by 10% to 45 miles, no change in intensity, some nice juicy sessions. Februarys tale of the tape - 201 miles, 27 hours running, +6000 ft of elevation gain.

MONDAY - Off Day

TUESDAY- 9.7 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up 10 x (400m uphill at 10k Pace, 45 seconds rest, 400m downhill at MP) 90 seconds rest between sets and 2 mile Warm Down

WEDNESDAY -5.2 mile Easy Run

THURSDAY -5.2 mile Aerobic Run

FRIDAY -Off Day

SATURDAY -14.5 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up 10 miles at MP (start a little slower and finish faster) and a 2 mile Warm Down

SUNDAY - 10 mile Easy Run

MONDAY - Off Day

TUESDAY 10.8 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up 5 x 1 mile at 10k pace with 3 float and a 2 mile Warm Down 

The only negative I can find is I have a slight pain in my right glute, felt the right hammy a few time last week which seems to have shifted to the cheek now. Some easy running scheduled for tonight and tomorrow so hopefully by the time Friday roles around I will be OK for sessions. 🤞 19/20 miler this weekend as well, funny thing is I was looking forward to this. Mad how the mind changes over time.

Just under seven weeks to the Marathon.

The pain in my right glute forced a rethink for the last week, I decided to remove all intensity and just get in steasy miles

WEDNESDAY 4 miles at 8.30 per

THURSDAY 4 miles at 8 per

FRIDAY 10 miles at 8.10 per

SATURDAY 4 miles at 8.00 per

SUNDAY - 20 miles at 8.15 per

The pain is less and seems to be easing, have a rest day today and back to hill repeats Tuesday, hopefully.

Low intensity last week and half this week. After the ok ish 20 with some residual pain in the glutes and right leg I decided to knock the Tuesday hill repeats on the head and give myself 3 days, still six weeks out at that stage so no better time to take a small break.

Monday - always a rest day

Tuesday - 9 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up, 3 x (800m uphill at HMP, 60 seconds rest, 800m downhill at MP) 2 minutes rest between sets -4 x (400m uphill at 10k Pace, 45 seconds rest, 400m downhill at MP) 2 mile Warm Down

took the day

WEDNESDAY - 6.5 mile progression - 8.30/mile starting off and 7.20 ending

THURSDAY- 6.5 mile steasy Run (8.10/mile)

FRIDAY - Off Day

SATURDAY - 16 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up(8.15 per mile) 2 x 5 miles at MP(7.20 per mile) with 1 mile float (8.45) between reps and 2 mile Warm Down

SUNDAY 10 mile Easy Run (8.25)

Quite a drop in volume due to the niggles the last two weeks but that's the game, 5 weeks today to the race with the three main peak weeks (max volume of 56 miles and maximum intensity) starting this week.

Even before I qualified for Boston I was using the BAA plans, mainly because they free online and very clear intent, I used them last year for Manchester and the few weeks for Dublin when I was not struggling with my hamstring both modified slightly but about 95% to the book. This week was peak volume in this race block with 58 miles and some nice intensity dropped in for good measure. I don't think I've ever gone over 60 miles and as such the devil on my shoulder almost persuaded me to fit an extra two miles in yesterday but thankfully I said no, phuck 60. The pain in my glute is less and wasn't noticeable till after the 20 mile during some extreme couching. More foam rolling and massage gun this week.

I really enjoyed this week.

MONDAY - Off

TUESDAY 9 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up 2 x (2k at HM(6.50), 1k at 10k(6.35)) all with 2 minutes rest 5 x 400 at 5k Pace(6.15) with 1 minute rest - Warm Down

WEDNESDAY 6.5 mile Easy Run(8.25)

THURSDAY 6.5 mile Easy Run(8.25)

FRIDAY 12 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up 8 mile cutdown at MP(7.16) 2 mile Warm Down

SATURDAY 4 mile super Easy Run (9.05 - keeping heartrate at 125, no reason)

SUNDAY - 20 mile Aerobic Run - 7.45 per mile

Four weeks to day to the race,

• Advertisement

Pretty straight forward week, some nice intensity and topped of with a rolling hill 20 miler. The last Sunday session of the block, three weeks to go. Woooop de doop

MONDAY -Off Day

TUESDAY 8.5 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up 5 x (800m uphill at HM effort, 60 seconds rest, 800m downhill at MP) 2 minutes rest between sets ,1 mile Warm Down (heartrate showed av 142)

WEDNESDAY 6 mile Easy Run (8.40)

THURSDAY Off Day 

FRIDAY 9 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up - 6 mile tempo at HMP(6.55)2 mile Warm Down 

SATURDAY 5 mile Easy Run 

SUNDAY 20 Marathon Simulation (on rolling hill course), consisting of: 9 miles easy - 9 miles at MP(7.15 to 7.25) -2 miles easy (average heartrate 144)

MONDAY Off Day

TUESDAY 9-10 miles, consisting of -2 mile Warm Up -3 x (2k at HM(6.55), 1k at 10k(6.30)) all with 2 minutes rest 1.5 mile Warm Down

WEDNESDAY 4 mile Easy(8.20)

THURSDAY 6 mile Aerobic Run(7.50)

FRIDAY 4 mile Easy (9.00- HR at 125)

SATURDAY 13-14 miles,

2 mile Warm Up 10 progression miles MP 7.20 down to 7.05 1 mile Warm Down 

SUNDAY Off

Tapertime

Two weeks to race day

First week of taper, If I'm being honest I never mind tapering, maybe I will go mad this next week

MONDAY always Off Day 

TUESDAY 8 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up -5 x 1k at 10k pace(6.30-6.40) with 2 minutes rest 5 x 200 at 5k Pace(6.10 to 6.20) with 30 seconds rest -2 mile Warm Down 

WEDNESDAY 30 minutes Easy Run 

THURSDAY Off Day 

FRIDAY 10 miles, consisting of: 2 mile Warm Up 2 x (3 miles at HM on(6.50), then 1 mile easy) -2 mile Warm Down 

SATURDAY 4 mile Easy Run 

SUNDAY 10 mile Easy Run

The last 3 weeks I've been cooling the jets - 58 miles - 48 miles - 38 miles and this week 36 miles. Still plenty of intensity. This week has two sessions, Tuesday and Thursday, Might take Thursday off and use the energy sightseeing ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck with final week and the journey over. Any particular race strategy in mind, and what's the target? It's a brilliant race, enjoy the buildup.

Thanks Murph, would love a crack at 3.09.59, 1.33 first half , hoping the quads get to the newton hills intact for a 1.36 second half. If the stars align and I can hold a decent line, the wind blows good and the pen(10.25 start) doesn't have too many day trippers then just maybe.

The conditions will decide everything,

As of 10 minutes ago Friday is forecasted for 28c , cooling to 17c Monday. Was hoping for 12-13c Any warmer than 20c and i will drop back to 3.30 in survival mode.

The misses and teenage daughter are coming along to cheer me on so I'm very happy, can't wait to see the Boston sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff and your strategy sounds good - especially like that you have a fallback plan.

I wouldn't worry about the pen. When I did it I had a 10:50 start but the waves were very well organised. There was no one to slow you down because the vast majority of Boston runners are there with a fairly recent qualifying time so pretty much everyone set out from the pen at the same pace, no shenanigans!

Great that you have a fallback plan. I did it on a hot day with no plan B and paid the price. It's definitely a factor in Boston where the weather can be anything from blistering sun to snow and ice and biting wind, so always good to have a backup strategy.

Have a good one.

Wicked haad, 3.18 for my first major. Not bad.

Now to see if the local bar has any nice scotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done, enjoy the scotch😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done. That’s excellent.

Advertisement