Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Dutch bike- COMPLETE NEWBIE!

Options
  • 09-06-2022 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

So, I haven't cycled since I was a child, but I spotted a dutch style bike going cheap yesterday so I bought it .

Anyway it's a bit too big I've since found out. I'm only 5ft and the frame height is about 56cm. I can get up on the saddle but only by standing on the peddle.

Should I be able to put my foot on the ground while seated? I feel like i should but read somewhere else that it's not a necessity for some on a dutch bike.

I'm going to try a smaller saddle also and see does that help give me an extra inch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if the saddle's the right height, you won't be able to put your foot down while seated, though ultimately it's a matter of preference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm a bit over 5'7" and a 56cm bike (in standard geometry) would be considered too big for me.

the norm for road bikes is that while seated, you should just be able to reach the ground with your toe, but with a dutch bike i suspect this would be more relaxed. can the saddle be lowered?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭marilynmonroe

No it's at the lowest setting. I'm thinking of changing the saddle to a thinner one- without the springs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect it's a lost cause, unfortunately. you could do yourself damage cycling a bike where the saddle is too high, especially if you haven't cycled in years, your knees will be overextended.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

she didn't say she couldn't reach the pedals, just the ground.

If you can't touch the ground when the saddle is at it's lowest, that's usually an indication the frame is too big for you, but again I don't know with Dutch bike geometry. With a road bike or a hybrid, if the frame is too big you'll be stretched out and will get uncomfortable on longer rides, but with a "sit up and beg" style bike, maybe that's not an issue. At the end of the day, if you're comfortable on it, and can pedal and stop safely, it's probably OK, you're not going to be doing the Tour De France on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

On our bakfiets, I can just about put both feet on the ground while sitting. I tried raising the saddle further, but it didn't feel right, Its geometry is a bit weird even for a Dutch bike though: it has a very steep leanback angle on the seat tube. I think High Nelly/roadster/Flying Pigeon/Dutch designs generally would be designed for users putting their feet down and remaining sitting while stopped, though I think not necessarily with the feet flat on the ground.

FWIW, the amsterdam bike company list 55cm frames as being suitable for people 5'7" and taller.

https://www.amsterdam-bicycle.com/frame-sizes/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'd say sell it on and get a Dutch bike the right size. From the description it sounded too big, but now it sounds way too big.

Just on feet on the ground and a Dutch-style bike, this looks about normal for users (from https://www.treehugger.com/why-upright-right-when-you-are-riding-bike-4858378)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

OP I'm 5'10 and a 56 is too big for me (I'm a spider person, I'm all limb). As others have said you'd be better off selling ou and getting one that you're more comfy on.

If you don't feel comfy on it you won't ride it. I don't know much about Dutch bikes, but they're supposed to be relaxed to ride, so getting a foot down easy would be a key feature I'd say. On a road bike no.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Having had a Gazelle bike since about 2018 I would say you want to be able to put a foot down easy enough.

Dutch style bikes have a relaxed riding position but they also tend to be heavy so when you come to a stop you want to be able to stop safely esp in traffic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement