Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

? Yurt, you seem to have gone off the rails a bit on this one so I’ll leave you at it.

It was a response to a previous post regarding fags and booze.

I posted the dangers of fags and booze on the health service.

I also asked who pays for this increase in welfare (for the 3rd time) which is a genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The writing is on the wall, it’s an embarrassment reading posts defending the abuse on the social welfare. This thread is so far off the rails there is no getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A profound lack of self-awareness in this post.

You got absolutely paddled on the facts on this thread.

I did of course.

• Advertisement

That’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've failed to see a single post defending Social Welfare Abuses on this thread, but plenty of Abuse and Vitriol levelled at SW recepients and indeed posters.

I'm glad it's been admitted in a round about way this was in fact the Threads true intention and sorry that's been derailed by the Decency shown by many.

I'm sure some were horrified at Eaomon Ryan's comments today, advising people go to their nearest SW office if they are stuck for a few Bob.

Of course his advice and comments are incomprehensible nonsense and its obvious he and his colleagues have not got a clue about the thousands of people, to include workers and pensioners visiting food banks..

Good evening 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It means 12% of households of working-age don't have a job, which is quite high. That's what it means.

"Quite high" - interesting choice of words

Let's see what Eurostat has to say... (Taken from every country's Labour Force Survey)

See top bar "no adult working" - Ireland bang on the average in the EU 27

You say "quite high" - data says right on average among peer countries.

More sexing up of a percieved issue and exaggeration, the data don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Regardless of how we are compared to our euro neighbors with regards to stats on the headcount on the dole even if one person in this country is sitting on the dole that can be retrained/re-educated so they can be out contributing instead of just taking then they should be told to do so or have their dole cut off completely. Its that simple, your argument is childish its a ah look at those over there in Europe they are doing no work and I am just doing the same. Its a very childish attitude.

• Advertisement

Wait, do you think I'm unemployed or something? I'd love to show you my P60s over the years to finally shut you up. We'd sort out who pays for who fairly sharpish.

Child of Grace, wake up, every single developed world has both unemployment and long term unemployment. It's like getting angry with the tides - it's a fact of life and a structural feature of a market economy.

It's been demonstrated in this thread with hard facts and data that Ireland does not have a significant issue with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Well Dempo 1 if you think for a minute that what I wrote is a work of fiction you are NOT living in the real Ireland of 2022. Sadly I lack the imagination of a fiction writer, I just try to describe to the best of my ability what I see, hear and know to be fact, in other words life as it is not the Nirvana that we'd all like it to be.

I grew up with and meet almost every day Marks and Janes in this situation - two 'Janes' with 5 kids between them are living across the road from me in a semi detached house paid for of course by Social Welfare. Both are (in the eyes of Social welfare) single mums but in reality their partners are living with them. A cousin of my OH is in a similar position - she has 2 daughters, living in a 2 bed apartment, the oldest daughter (now 21) had a baby 16 months ago. She is now housed by the local authority and will be for the foreseeable future.......unless she meets some rich lad who can afford to put a roof over both their heads ! Two of the lads I work with, both in their early 30's are in long term relationships, even with the combined savings and earnings of their partners none of them are able to get a deposit together for a house or qualify for a mortgage. One couple are now seriously considering emigrating to the Middle East for 4 to 5 years to get some money together for a house. These are ordinary folk doing an honest days work and earning a little under the average industrial wage, paying a car loan, apartment, etc. etc. Like it or not Dempo 1 this is the sad reality of life for the ''lower working class'' in this country today and with rising inflation, petrol, cost of living etc. things are just going to get worse in the short term. We may very well have full employment but the financial reward for the employee is being eroded to the point that it's not economically viable to work.

Did I say you were unemployed? So what if every country in the developed world has long term unemployed why should that allow an able bodied person sitting on their hole and scratch while other workers pay for them? . Why should anyone be allowed sit there and not contribute if they are able bodied, like I say your argument is look over there in other countries they are not working so why should I work. The fact is there are jobs in this country that are not being filled, so the people on the long term unemployed should be told to take one of these or have their dole cut off. Its simple. Nothing to do with Europe or the rest of the developed world, just asking people to take a bit of personal responsibility. I am not angry Yurt but you seem to have lost the plot and other posters have alluded to this as well. Take a few deep breaths there.

There's a deep recession coming, cross your fingers your job is secure. Your words may come back to bite you. There may be people telling you to get off your hole and saying you should have your welfare cut off sooner than you think.

Dont be worrying about me I am all good in my job the last 25 years and even in the last recession there was no issues with it. Even if I lost a job and couldn't get one in the country I would emigrate instead of being a drain on society ye know a bit of personal responsibility.

We'd all wave you goodbye at the airport. You're already a drain misery guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I heard she left the pram at the bus stop because she'd get it replaced for free as well.

So I am a misery guts because I have an expectation that all able bodied people at a time where there are jobs not being filled should work and pay their own way. Will you cop yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Perhaps Fairy Tale if not fiction might be easier to put together 🤔

You paint a Grim picture of life generally, I don't doubt for a second there's a cohort who'd be quite happy to live as you discribe but seriously trying to paint this picture as a normal choice for the vast majority is really stretching it.

I've known many single mums, in full time jobs and careers, who of course took leave after giving birth, their Parents chipped in with childcare as did close friends when all the women I know returned to work and heavens above saved and with their partners (not all) aspired to and achieved ownership of their own homes.

Every developed country in the world has a small cohort who've absolutely no ambition or intention of working to support themselves, Ireland is in no way unique.

Of course this all aside, Home ownership in Ireland now is but a distant dream and not just those on low incomes.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

What do I not have a clue about its pretty simple there are able bodied people sitting on the dole long term they are able to work (not everyone is able to work obviously) and there are jobs not being filled. What other parameter do you need? Imagine all workers taking this approach, ah sure someone else will pay feck it. When did I exaggerated unemployment BTW? Your anger is laughable. Anyone reading this will most likely agree that its a disgrace if someone (even one person) is sitting on the dole while a job goes unfilled.

You use language like 'disgrace' and try to make out you're not spilling over with anger? Get your head screwed on, there will be unemployment of some level to the day you shuffle off this mortal coil, if you don't give yourself a stroke first raging against them.

Meanwhile, on planet earth, it's been demonsrated that Ireland has a level of unemployment that for now (pending recession) is bearing down on the lowest it has ever been and does not have an issue in absolute or relative terms.

If you don't like unemployment, get in a time machine and go back to the Soviet Union circa 1974, they apparently had it abolished. Saving that, quit polluting threads with your misery.

If people had the dole cut off for not taking up a job the long term unemployment would be more or less eradicated. I am not angry Yurt you need to calm down.

Look answer one question and we will leave it at that as I cant take you seriously.

So answer this.

Why should a person of able body and mind be allowed sit at home doing SFA for years while there are jobs out there that need filling. Just answer that question nothing else and we can leave it at that.?

I don't care that there is a certain level of unemployment, I'm a grown adult with an education who realises that we will never have absolute zero unemployment for one reason or another.

You appear to think it's because of some sort of mass indolence, the rest of the world knows that in a market economy, it's ineviteble we'll have cyclical short term unemployement.

You have the figures for more stubborn unemployment, 40k unemployed over one year, and 7k over a decade. I frankly don't give a sh*t about numbers that low, and neither should you. The 7k obviously have other issues going on, be it mental health or familial. And no, they and society are not better served by Stalinist forced work schemes you think are a great idea. We live in a democracy.

Grow up - and yes, you blatanly have poisonous attidudes around this matter.

Why should a person of able body and mind be allowed sit at home doing SFA for years while there are jobs out there that need filling and expect to be compensated in dole money?

Are you going to answer the above question?

To p*ss off people like you. I happily hand over taxes for that. In fact, I'll write a letter to my local TD to that effect.

So you have no answer as there is no answer. Anyone looking at the thread will come to the same conclusion and you really need to calm down. Go find a paper bag and breath and repeat gruuuussshhbraba. Your outrage is actually hilarious :)

There is no answer to long term unemployment Einstein. It'll be with until the end of time.

We are at the point that it's minimised to the greatest extent in a market economy.

Get over it.

The answer to any amount of long term unemployment is to cut people off who refuse to work after a certain period of time, if they want to sit at home scratching then let them look after their own expenses. Simple

Now answer my question?

Why should a person of able body and mind be allowed sit at home doing SFA for years while there are jobs out there that need filling and expect to be compensated in dole money?

• Advertisement

Then you generate absolute poverty for individuals who likely have substance abuse issues or mental health issues or indeed other familial or peripheral living circumstances that makes holding down decent employment impossible, and the state has to double-back with welfare intervention measures, unless you like seeing people rotting on the streets.

Congratulations, you've achieved f*ckall.

Meanwhile, structural unemployment at a macro economic level continues to exist.

Advertisement