Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Do you keep an excel sheet on your neighbors comings and goings and work patterns?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

there you go again. !

No need to keep an excel sheet thanks . Keep the smart comments going because that's all your posts seem to be about

I've spent the thread honing in on the data and reality.

Curtain-twitching anecdotes of dubious provenance and tall-tales about 200 families who have never worked get the mockery treatment.

It's called robust debate. The trampoline conspiracy crew really don't like the deep waters of statistics and reality, and prefer the shallow waters of anonymously posted unverifiable anecdotes accompanied by deep reserves of misdirected anger.

That's the story of the thread.

There can be a debate with sneering comments

Every town in ireland has a number of households who never worked and have no intention of ever working, and this is no "curtain-twitching anecdotes" whether you like it or not

i am of a generation where I have seen 2 generations following the same pattern in the town I live in and all your sneering will not change the fact that this is happening countrywide.

More often than not, high stool talk about other people's circumstances is just that. Idle speculation about buggies trampolines and lifelong dole.

It's a pastime for some people and most of the time it's not accurate.

We have the data and it's been raked over at length.

Trampoline conspiracists on the thread are somehow offended by the actual reality retreat to "I heard down the pub that Podge Creagh on the Quarry Road has all his children on the dole and they all have free plasma televisions and shur didn't the social send them to Lanzarote as well."

It's nonsense.

• Advertisement

So are you saying that I dont know whether these people are working or not ?

I can guarantee that any families in my area that i say are not working, are not working !

And dont add on just for the drama. .. you're the one adding with your trampolines, Lanzarote , and free televisions

I take guarantees from anonymous posters with a bee in their bonnet about dole with a pinch of salt.

The data tells its own story.

I'm not debating the data. The point i made was that it was the long term unemployed who are capable of working that people have the issue with and no matter what you say there are plenty of them in this country.

No one would deny genuine cases applying for the dole as it could be any of us at any time

"Plenty" is relative term.

We have the data, it's 43k people or thereabouts in a labour force of 2.5m

You might think that's a number worthwhile occupying an outsized part of your mindspace.

The country has bigger problems on its plate rather than imagining things that aren't really there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I’m almost convinced now there is no fraud in the social welfare.

• Advertisement

You dont worry yourself on what occupies my mindspace.

Obviously the country has bigger problems, no one said it didnt , but we are discussing the dole summer bonus on this thread

this is just one of many areas that money is wasted in this country whether it is a small or big number

Has anyone the statistics on what this proposed bonus will cost the tax payer?

Where does this bonus stop, is it if you have a medical card, on hap, on job seekers is it open to everyone who is getting money off the state?

It will probably start with one group and there there will be uproar and probably end with everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This mysterious Bonus, remains just a suggestion unless I'm missing something.

If it materialises and its a big if, I'd have to assume it will be primarily targeted towards anyone who is receipt of a SW to include those on DA and Pensioners.

Having a Medical Card has little to do with being on SW and whilst it's likely SW recepients can get one it is heavily means tested to include all and any income, savings etc. Eligibility is primarily based on income thresholds and many who work and on low incomes may be entitled to one. It is also important to emphasise there are different categories of MC, such as GP only card, Discretionary , Terminal illness etc . It is not always the case a full MC is issued. MC are also subject to regular review and managed by HSE, not SW.

HAP, again nothing to do with SW and there's many, many working people in receipt of HAP, Social/ Council Housing Rents are also entirely separate to HAP. This said, indirectly HAP is paid for by the state.

As for the Comment re everyone one who gets money from the state, again its only a suggestion but Not necessarily but I'd assume, Pensioners, Disabled,, Low income families, Farm assit, Jobseekers would likely be included, they call get money from the state.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

F*ck yeah, free trampolines and buggies for everyone.

All out of the bajillion euro taxes you pay and directly from the sweat of your brow.

you're actually the only one banging on about buggies and trampolines , lanzarote and televisions !

And despite your sarcasm yes this money does come out of taxes paid by workers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

And look at this exciting news for all us layabouts and scroungers on Boards 😊

I can't contain myself with the excitement.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Every tax payer in the country regardless of how much or little they contribute should get a rebate if this bonus does get sanctioned. After all it’s the tax payer that is bailing out the country all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Is there a chart that excludes infants, children and students? Population 0 to 64 years is not really reflective of the working population.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Are they for real? Sadly and unbelievably yes. Politicians are absolutely hooked into this handout and “entitlement” culture.

it’s how they get votes now. A rebate for long suffering taxpayers should of course be the priority but as you’ve probably twigged by now we don’t matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Anecdotal evidence is enough evidence and it's all you can get from people whose neighbors live on the dole on a permanent basis.

Even if it was just one family taking advantage of the system that would still be one too many

Do you have any idea how good this is for the Irish trampoline and bouncy castle industry? It's a stimulus and brilliant for the country.

Stiffs on the M50 will only spend it on petrol enriching Putin and Wahabbi extremism in Saudi. That or Mrs Brown's Boys boxsets, and we know where that leads society.

Yeah 100 percent reliable posters on here. Just like the rodeo clown who knows 200 families who have never worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I provided all the evidence that the majority of people applying for social housing are unemployed.

Yurt split hairs to try make out that doesn’t prove anything about the numbers in social housing who are unemployed.

In his head it’s probably about 2 people.

Logic says if the majority applying for social housing are unemployed then the number unemployed in social housing must be high.

But no, according to Yurt it’s so small he doesn’t even care about it or think about it yet spends every second on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

Summer bonus - I honestly don’t think this is genuine

ive no issues anyone getting SW if they genuinely need it

helped my young family up north in the early 80s

all my kids have always worked

one is an employer/ one has 2 jobs

one with 6 kids full time working

others working

youngest in college and working

but without help from DHSS up north I doubt we’d have survived tbh

so it’s there to help and help it does

social welfare needed badly atm

pls don’t tar anyone accessing sw as layabouts or scroungers

most are genuine

Nice sleight of hand. You made big noise about "the majority in social housing are unemployed"

You were caught rotten lying when it was pointed out to you that it was applicants in an individual year (basically new applicants to the housing list). And only after an exchange of half a dozen posts did you conceed that was the case.

Still zero data from you on the number of unemployed in situ in social housing. You say "high", completely nebulous and useless and haven't got back to us with any data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Head in the sand.

Hands over the ears.

The majority of applicants for social housing are unemployed but you think the numbers unemployed in social housing are small.

Swallow that couch over there.

There are 170'000 social housing units and active tendencies in Ireland.

Only 43k long term unemployed (over 1 year). 100 percent of them would have to be in social housing in individual units (you know they're not) and near half of the short term unemployed would have to be in social housing for your claim to be even approaching reality.

It's bullsh*t, you're talking pony, and you've put up zero evidence.

You're the one saying "high" and refusing to put a number on it.

You've backtracked from majority because you know yourself it's bullsh*t on the stats spoonfed to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So have we figure out how we are going to pay for this SW increase?

Higher taxes?

Service cuts?

Borrowings?

Im not against SW increases I would just like to know how we account for them.

Advertisement