Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

You can grow in retail.... managers in lidl are on 70k plus ( not everyone is manager material i know)..... as for the dole... it is a choice to be on the dole for a lot of people ... to many incentives being offered to get out of it.

Inflation will dictate wages being doubled over ones career... doesn't mean you got extra in your pocket at the end of the month.... just compare wages now with 30 years ago and are we better of now per se ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

you can in fairness , but it’s not guaranteed growth like public and civil service. There is so few on the dole at this stage I don’t see it as much of an issue, a highly emotive one for some people but it isn’t a real issue facing this country. I mean it’s a tough one to say because of what’s happened with housing but with regard to cars, holidays etc yeah we were way more well off than 30 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Lidl adopted a minimum wage of €13.85 per hour for all workers last March, in accordance with the Living Wage recommendation for 2023 and that is increasing to €14.80 per hour from March 2024 as recommended for 2024.

So come March 2024, a CO will have to reach the fourth point of the CO scale to earn the same as someone starting in Lidl.

Hopefully the Unions are at least aiming to push for the Gov to at least match that for a starting CO. And some of the other incentives offered by Lidl to their employees, would be nice too.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Buy gold?

I suppose I should switch from bread to cake while I'm at it? ffs

You're just taking an opportunity in an irrelevant thread to peddle a hobby horse / ideology. It might as well be bitcoin, like gold it's only worth what the next fool is willing to pay you for it.

It's against sidewide rules to offer potentially dangerous medical advice, maybe the same should be the case for potentially dangerous financial advice...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

Are the pay talks continuing today? Any indication of how they went yesterday?

Considering they effect ~350,000 people it's kept fairly quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You won't hear anything until either there is a breakdown in talks or there is something concrete on offer that can be put to the various union committees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭bren2001

The talks were adjourned until later in the week. It was on the RTE website, I don't see how that is quiet.

I also wonder what you, and others, expect to happen. This is a massive negotiation. Neither side are going to show their full hand. Neither side are going to divulge much, if anything, to the media. The talks will go on for weeks. There won't be leaks until much closer to the end of the talks. Nor should there be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not true, according to this article, nurses in Ireland are the seventh highest paid in the OECD.

The problem is that Irish nurses, like Irish teachers, are happy to move to slave economies in the UAE to work on higher salaries, facilitated by the exploitation of migrant workers from Bangladesh and Afghanistan. Education about the horrors of Dubai and Abu Dhabi are required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

A major contributor to this occurring is the housing crisis and how expensive it is to live here for newly qualified young people. You can't even get close to renting a place for yourself anymore, you're either paying close to a grand to house share with loads of people, likely in **** holes with cramped mouldy rooms, or living at home.

Yeah id agree , most are going to earn deposits for houses. Anybody I have known to go to dubai/abu dhabi to work have returned or is planning on returning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭combat14

No wonder young teachers and nurses are fleeing the state when social housing in rural ireland are jumping from approx. 190k to 500k per unit in the space of 5 years - there is something seriously wrong with the country ...

serious pay rises for public servants will be needed to keep up with savage cost of living rises of late ..

Multi-million price soars to convert Laois convent into Portlaoise housing

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/property/1358828/multi-million-price-soars-to-convert-laois-convent-into-social-housing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

If we provided affordable housing this would not be an issue. As a single person earning 42k in Dublin Ive had to take on a second job to rent a bedsit. Its really not fair

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Which public sector salaries are guaranteed to double or triple over their careers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭gifted

Ive a neighbour with three kids and she doesn't work....painter and decorator outside her house this afternoon working away....ill probably get slated now for that but who cares.......the mistake we made is actually working in the first place......€12 pay rise a week for the social in January...mine works out at €7 a week and im in the public service ...

Look at the pay scales. Even without a promotion the likes of CO , EO and AO nearly double. Look at gardai and teacher salarys from year 1 till end of the scale. Its all available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

Seems that people on this website think the problem is living in Dublin without being a rich techie on 100k. The attitude here is if you cant afford to own a home you need to live in Longford.

Oh god not this WUM who says they are ashamed of renting once a month across different threads.

Great and how is the cost of living in general and housing in particular compared to other OECD nations then? Looking at wages in isolation is totally meaningless. Need to look at tax take too...

Scrap the cap!

Ah we've moved on from teachers to attacking nurses now, with their time and a quarter night shift extravaganza rate.

Even throwing out the "Irish nurses are highly paid" article, taking literally just the graph suiting their argument. Ignoring everything below that where each result shows Ireland drop lower until below the EU20. Then accuse nurses of going to work in slave economies like... Umm Canada and Australia generally, while we have to poach nurses from India, The Philippines, and Central Africa

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Edit-delete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

This is completely untrue and you're talking like a victim.

In the past, I have eschewed various purchases, including essentials, while on TCO, CO and EO pay, with long commutes, to buy small amounts of silver and put them away.

You simply don't know what you're talking about. But swagger away as if you do. But many of the euro central banks know the difference between money and currency. Perhaps apply your own sage warning to yourself as any idiot can check the price of gold vs euro from 2002 to today (or any point in between) and begin to understand what money is and how the great dance that is the pay talks will leave all of us feeling empty. Its a big wheeze. What is pay for? To buy things. How come its agreed value in January has altered by December? The swindle is not hard to understand. But struggle away comrade.

There will never be enough wages, in currency terms. Never. I'm sadly not surprised that you can't see that. Let he who has eyes see. And Bitcoin my hole...

Post edited by An Ri rua on

I think you mean they remain subpar for much of the lifetime of the poor yoke on them.

Incidentally, if you project that magical target 2% inflation (money dilution by ECB) out over each year, how exactly are these increases? What good is double the nominal amount but the same or less spending power?

Do you have the slightest clue about what you're talking about? If you don't understand the nature of money, like most on this thread, and in govt and union circles, then you don't understand the concept of labour.

Money =sweat, blood tears, effort, activities foregone etc. Finite time on earth given to another for their purposes. Its a social contract. At least the unions get that with regards to collective bargaining. But without monetary powers, we are at the mercy (and the good mercy during the pandemic) of the ECB.

The euro reduced in buying power by over 40% from its 2002(?) inception to 2019. You can fairly add 10-20% to that due to Covid costs. In reality, we're all struggling as our real wages are on the floor for 15+years. Its not rocket science but is deeply saddening how the political and academic class dupe the ordinary peóple with their tired Keynesian claptrap.

Post edited by An Ri rua on

No, FORSA just email to tell us they're down in the ditch getting dirty and they're thinking of us. All mouth and no trousers. They likely buy into the wage inflation spiral hokum preached by half-ass Keynesian claptrappists.

Giving back fiscally what was taken monetarily is not a new concept. But our crowd can't broach such sensitive topics since we gave up control of printing our own colouredy monopoly money. Such is life.

What jobs, equal to a clerical officer starting out, do not have wage /salry growth? Pray tell. I await your golden insight.

What employer /sector pays below the target 2% inflation (real life inflation invariably higher) and manages to keep employees, or gain new ones when the other lot have had enough BS, and stay afloat?

Do you shop in Narnia perhaps?

And do you think the dole does not stay pace with headline inflation? Its the one thing that IS guaranteed to; well before PS wages. Wake up now.

Other way around very often. A high quality robot could easily analyse and clear the good work that has been painstakingly written a few grades below them.

Quite likely the real engines end up out on their ear in due course but, hey, if the main function in that workflow is to say "oh yes, cleared by PO", then AI may be doing a clear sweep.

Jaysis you are an odd one , genuinely couldnt read more than two sentences of your bile.

Likewise. Keep learning grasshopper. Deflect from your inaccuracies and fail to answer pertinent questions. Do you work for the official side by any chance?

Load of old bollocks of no relevance to the thread topic.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

You didn't say "Nearly double", though. You said "their salary is basically guaranteed to double or even treble during their career." And I have looked at them. None of them double, never mind triple, which is why I asked.

Role.......................starting.............................top of scale

CO..........................€510pw............................€820 (after 19 years)

EO..........................€34,562............................€56,969 (after 17 years)

AO..........................€35,368............................€65,621 (after 15 years)

Garda......................€32,921............................€56,118 (after 19 years)

Teacher....................€42,765............................€78,426 (after 27 years)

Teacher is closest to doubling, reaching 191% of starting salary, but that takes the guts of 30 years to achieve. Anyone begrudging them that needs their head checked. I was wondering who you had in mind that their pay would triple. If you were being hyperbolic, fair enough, just say so.

• Advertisement

Hahahah sorry they nearly double without one promotion in their whole career. Get off the stage pal. Triple would be anyone going from co to heo, Ap ,Po , a lot of people. You failed to pick up the context of the conversation which was viewing a career in the civil service over the dole or retail. I was not begruding any group of their pay. Why bother put the years in? I said over the course of a career.

Advertisement