Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,257 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They're the ones who want to negotiate their terms and conditions individually. They can absolutely join a union, just not a public sector only union.

The decisions about terminating a contract are going to be made by the same people who make the decisions to tell them not to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I suppose all the TDs need to be on strike as well being public servants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Gusser09

All this talk of picket crossing.

I remember being on a cpsu picket. We were the lowest paid workers in the civil service.

Everyone passed the picket. Everyone.

It's also a person's legal right to not join one.

Why do it think you can bully people for exercising their legal rights.

As it happens with my office about 50% are non union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

They are not permanent employees, they are not employees, they are private businesses engaged in specific term contracts

No union will back them. Have you ever been a contractor?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

That's their choice, right? To be self employed with all the tax benefits that go with it?

And then they come crying to the unions to help them out?

We're obviously reading different threads on the pay talks 😁

No, the don't come crying, ever. They can and should protect their employment because no permanent employees will give a crap when their contract is not renewed and no union can ever counter non renewal

Them joining the union is as useless as when you see unemployed people being asked to join SIPTU.

You talk about people needing to protect each other but immediately want to sacrifice the most unsecure people you work with?

Stop

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Equally, the contractors don't give a crap about what the civil servants are being paid.

The nature of being a contractor, means it's not permanent employment, and they are well compensated for this. The contractors I deal with on a daily basis are being paid multiples per day of any of the civil servants they are working with, so I'm not exactly sympathetic.

They absolutely would not be terminated for not crossing a picket, and if submitting a tender for a new contract, it would not come into consideration. There are very strict (and transparent) procedures involved in assessing tenders and awarding contracts.

So while they are perfectly entitled to protect their own employment, it doesn't make it morally right to cross a picket when it involves workers who are taking action to improve their working conditions.

So, if they cross the picket, so be it. But if that results in some cooler office relationships later on, well, they also have to accept that.

In assessing 'most insecure', you seem to have left out the financial security bit. These folks are taking out 2x or 3x the wages of the civil servants working beside them. They've deliberately chosen the self-employed/contractor route, usually for the tax benefits available to them. They're also working currently in a sellers market, where if they are half-decent, they will be in huge demand.

So tell me please, who exactly is going to decide to terminate or not renew their contract?

Some earn that much many don't. Most IT contractors people interact with don't.

Your typical IT service desk contractor is on a temporary contract with, say, PFH. They're earnining 25 to 35k on a rolling 6 month contract.

If they refuse to go in PFH will fire them or not renew at the end of 6 months, whichever is easier for the company.

Will you give a crap if that person loses their low paid job because they refused to go in? Would you even know?

The guys on bigger money? What company is going to use them in a PS tender, if they've had a contract cancelled by a PS organisation?

Stop thinking that people who are NOT public sector employees, involved in a dispute, must stay away.

Should cleaners, who are contracted in, not clean hospitals or should they risk their near minimum wage jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Extremely bluntly, if someone is on a service desk contract for 25k in this economy, they're an idiot.

You'll get closer to 30 and be staff anywhere - absolutely bloody anywhere - at this stage.

Nobody should be working as a contractor on a service desk unless they're being paid 1.5x+ what you'll get as staff somewhere else. Nobody should be working as a contractor anywhere unless they're on 1.5x+ what staff get actually; you are foregoing so much in rights and protection.

PFH will do exactly what the staff manager tells them. What staff manager (who apparently had authority to tell the contractor not to come in) is going to tell PFH to terminate the contract of a trained, effective contractor?

If they get told that a contractor is to come in the contractor has to come in.

You're the one saying that they have a choice to not come in.

You've never been a contractor, have you?

And if he respects the picket, who's going to decide to fire him?

There is not going to be a strike. The government need to ever so slightly strengthen their offer and that’s it done. There is an absolutely shag all appetite for a strike.

The company can easily rewuest a different one. I've literally seen it happen for one who the internal HSE manager just didn't like.

Replaced the next day.

You're, literally, talking about an area of employment you have no idea about.

Every low level contractor is immediately expendable, mids are easy enough to replace with time (let their term end and not renew), very very few "consultants" are critical

I'm actually looking north and wishing we had that level of courage

• Advertisement

I earn a lot more than my northern counterpart. Nothing to do with courage.

I didn't ask what they CAN do. I asked you what staff manager, who was apparently quite happy to give the contractor a day off, is then going to have the same guy fired?

It seems to me like you're talking about employees of private companies who hold public contracts.

If they are directed to cross a picket (or refuse to cross a picket), that is a matter between them and their employer - the company who pays them.

It is not a matter for the Dept or Public Service body that is paying their company.

Whi was giving them the day off? What are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Contractors passing a picket is no worse than the pseu passing the cpsu picket. That was shocking.

It is when, should they not come in, they can be told not to return to that position. Contracting company will send someone else.

Most of those lads are on rolling temp contracts and can be fired for not going in. They have not served strike notice or engaged in any IA.

To flip your comment around, our strike has nothing to do with contractors of any description, be they cleaners/IT/kitchen

So you're happy for people to be let go, for our picket?

You said that you were giving them a day off so they wouldn't have to come in.

It literally is not.

It is a matter between them and their employer.

• Advertisement

So our strike is not their problem. We shouldn't be asking them to risk their employment, and they would be.

If they don't come in, as requested by the client, the client can request a new person.

Advertisement