Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Watermelonsugar

10.25% reported as agreed, is this correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Some will no doubt try and argue its a paycut......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Figures increasing on your pay packet aren't pay rises unless they exceed inflation.

Ask anyone who lived through the Weimar Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The usual head bangers. The individuals who always wants to strike regardless.

Thats a great deal if we're honest. It will sail through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

decent deal, a bit too long for 10.25% i will probably say no myself because im not exactly happy with it but im sure it will pass with over 90%

I’m sure it’ll have the inflation caveats like the last one , so we aren’t necessarily locked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Mr lebowski

I would have hoped they could have bargained to split the difference at 10.5% but it's not too bad overall.

Could it look something like this.

Jan 2024 2.5%

Oct 2024 2%

March 2025 2%

October 2025 2%

Remainder 2026 1.75%

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Paschal on Pat Kenny saying detail is 9.25% then 1% for local bargaining, so will be interesting to see full detail and schedule. Lower paid will receive up to 17.3% (will have some fixed payments so lower paid will get more - no issue with that have to say)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

"The usual head bangers". 😂 from the man who doesn't know what inflation is.

• Advertisement

Things cost more. We all know this. This isn't something that has slipped under the radar.

It's not worth standing out in the cold when we've be offered such a good deal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

What’s this “local bargaining”’that they’re talking about? Can someone explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭spark_tank

Public servants will see pay rises of 2.25% or €1,125, whichever is greater, from January 1 this year with another 1% on June 1 and another 1% on October 1. This will be followed by 2% in March next year, 1% in August 2025 and 1% in each of February and June 2026.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Into June 2026?

What the actual feck? 2025 better be a very calm time, for inflation, if 3% is what we have agreed to.

Also, €3.6 billion spread over four budget years - 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027? Not a massive amount considering the increase in VAT/Excise/Corporate takes etc, due to inflation

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BJG524

The main features of the agreement are:

• 2.25% salary increase or €1,125, whichever is greater, on January 1st 2024.

• 1% salary increase on June 1st 2024.

• 1% salary increase or €500, whichever is greater, on October 1st 2024.

• 2% salary increase or €1,000, whichever is greater, on March 1st 2025.

• 1% salary increase on August 1st 2025.

• 1% salary increase or €500, whichever is greater, on February 1st 2026.

• 1% salary increase on June 1st 2026.

Local Bargaining

• A local bargaining instalment, equivalent to 1% of the basic pay cost, on September 1st 2025.

The last deal was renegotiated when inflation was higher so this could easily happen again. At the end of the day 90% will think this is a decent deal, if anyone thinks it’s awful I really think it’s probably time to move sector.

It brings the max of the HEO salary to just over 76k. NOw that's decent for the type of job it is. Same with the CO's and EO's.

It's a good deal all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

It will get through but the timeline is far too stretched.

I like my job and the benefits to society it entails (as do many people who took a pay cut to join the PS) so no, I can say it is a terrible deal without having to accept snide "get another job" remarks.

If I wanted massive pay increases I could have accepted an interview for a role with an opening salary offer of 60k more, last Wed. I just want to not be ridden and, after the last 2 years, that is what this does. The headline figure is OK but the timeline is a slap

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saulgudman

Same here.. I'll vote no. But no doubt it will pass. 1% increases in dribs and drabs are useless to most of us.

The time line is too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Listening to radio news there... they're talking about the lower paid receiving more. Does this not create issues for those who are just outside this cohort? One cohort (presumably?) has a role with more expectations/responsibilities/qualifications but get closer, in pay terms, to the cohort with lower expectations/responsibilities/qualifications..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

the last increase coming in the last month of the deal is pretty sneaky as will be "hey look ye just got a pay increase" so increases in any subsequent deals will be postponed to such an effect that the current "deal" will end up more of a 3 year deal then 2.5...

I do agree the timeline is a bit stretch for my liking 7/8 over 18 months would have been better. And fair enough point - there isn’t necessarily a similar job out there especially obv if you are Gardai, Nurses , teachers etc. I just think for me joining the civil service I never expected 10% pay deals I knew it was never gonna be high flying but I’m the same I like what I contribute. I didn’t mean it in a snarky way but I stand by if 10% is considered awful to people then it probably is time for them to start looking

Well us. Some of us were ridiculed for the suggestion that there needs to be a threshold between the grades. You can't bring the grades too close together. It devalues the competitions for promotion for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Same here. Dragging this into 2026, is nonsense. So personally for me it's NO DEAL, Noel.

It doesn't compensate for the gap between pay and inflation over the last couple of years, or the expected rate of inflation over the time period of the deal, so at best, its running to stand still.

But for those without a vote as they are not union members who would have been happy to settle for 6% or even less over three years, you're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylanyahoo

I'll be voting No anyway.

The deal is too long and doesn't include enough at the front end. It needs restructuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like fair deal for 2024, not sure about 2025 & 2026 the way inflation is rising again

lower scales/ranks are doing well with 17.3% rises, on the flip side at this rate the difference between job role salaries will be diminished/ eliminated after the last few deals possibly reducing incentive for promotion when higher tax rates factored in

It creates issues if it’s much more but it doesn’t really otherwise. At the end of the day a lot are trying to move up the levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭gifted

Thats one slow pay rise.....gonna be a No for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭bren2001

This will absolutely sail through tho. I'd expect 90%+ support. It's a fine deal and quite difficult to see a better deal being reached. For those slamming the Unions earlier, 10.25% is pretty decent. They didn't misplay their hand at all.

Advertisement