Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

OK, and businesses start to close.

Then what?

Will others take their place? Will these new businesses not also face the same costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Why is that of any concern of mine?

Also, businesses will love seeing the union getting smacked with a measly deal (when taken over 2 and a half years)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Is the 1% local bargaining for everyone. I did not see it the percentage breakdown of the deal that was published.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Leaving aside the sectoral bargaining (as there's no guarantee where that is going) this deal represents an overall 3.4% pay increase in 2024, a further 2% increase in 2025 and a further 1% increase during January to June 2026. Salaries will be 9.88% higher than they were on December 31, 2023 - some thirty months before.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is simply not true. I don't like the pay deal but peddling lies in the way that you are isn't helpful.

If you are on €50k today, you will be on €54,808 by the end of the agreement, a 9.6% increase. That is how maths works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

No, it’s for particular workers e.g. firefighters and will be negotiated separately. Most civil and public servants will not be part of 1% local bargaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

This local bargaining element is very opaque and I'm not sure if I agree with it being included in the 'headline' 10.25% figure as, as it stands, it's not guaranteed to anyone. My reading of the document re this is as follows:

• Unions may negotiate increases of up to an additional 3% to the agreed 9.25% for groups of staff .
    • These increases may (but do not have to be) liked to productivity changes etc.
    • The first installment of the increase - 1% - will be implemented in September 2025.
    • The remainder of the increase will be addressed in the next national pay agreement.

The practical implementation of this on the ground is very unclear though - will the unions pursue a general 1% for everyone? Or will different groups be fighting it out? If so, will some groups be able to get more than 1% given that the government seems to be committed to funding an amount equivalent to 1% of the public pay bill - e.g. could we have a situation where, say, nurses get 2% in September 2025, but medical consultants get nothing? Note it's explicitly stated in the agreement that the principal of relativity is excluded - i.e. "Group X have always been paid at 80% of Group Y. Group Y have got an increase, so Group X must too".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I amended my original post. The last figure is a 9.88% increase overall. The other figures are still correct. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Mac-Chops

As someone who moved from private to public sector mid 2022, accepting the drop that came with it and still getting used to all this craic, I can only look positively on what has happened since with HRA hours, Building Momentum and now the latest agreement.

Still need to educate myself on the specifics but welcome news in this house having recently come out of a fixed term mortgage and getting rinsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

So when tax, prsi, pension etc are included an increase of roughly €2,400 (50% is about the rate) or about €45-50 a week

Its not bad, but taking 2 and a half years to get there isn’t great either

So a deal that zealots on either side aren’t happy with, probably showing it’s a fair enough deal

EDIT - that’s in reply to the 50k post above

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭only_a_newbie

can anyone simplify how much this is in the pocket (after tax) of someones monthly take home for the following wages?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's will all depend on what tax credits a person has and everyone is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,671 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Plug it into taxcalc.eu for general guidance on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

10.25% is pretty decent and move to the private sector................It's a 3.1% effective increase in 2024 (which is lower than forecasted inflation - never a good sign in January) and an effective pay rise of 2.4% in 2025 (I wonder will that be lower than inflation????) and 1% for the first 6 months in 2026 (so we won't get another increase til October 2026 I'd imagine in the next pay deal) so a sub 2% pay rise in 2026 (I wonder will that be lower than inflation????)

An awful deal for public servants and they won't even know it. signing upto real pay cuts over the next 2.5 years after a 6.5% pay cut in the last 2.5 years. The headline 10.25% will fool loads of people. The Unions saying two weeks ago that the offer from government was far below what they wanted and after all that, they get another 0.75% for 2 months initially and 1% extra 29 months into a 30 month deal. God it's pathetic. But 90% of public servants evidently don't understand the concept of inflation or what real purchasing power of wages/salaries actually means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

One poster said the deal is "pretty decent" another says its an "excellent outcome". Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Use your vote to say no if you don't like it, like myself. As you're very aware though the majority do not care and see double digits and will say yes please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You're one of them that would have voted no for 20 or 30 percent.

The reality is that pay rises in any sector dont match inflation in general.

Inflation effects everyone differently, and that ultimately is what people vote on- their own personal circumstances.

As stated earlier I would be more concerned about the continued erosion of pension entitlements rather than a significant across the board pay rise that is equitable towards the lower paid.

Another negotiation in 2026 and move on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭DubCount

The 1% sectoral agreement part. Is everyone going to get that? If not, why is everyone calling this 10.25%?

The majority obviously feel that the inflation figures aren't as big an impact on their own personal circumstances are some here appear to think. That's the bottom line really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

And you're one of those who would have voted to accept 6% percent over three years.

If you had a vote, which you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've been relatively clear and consistent on this thread, I dont really care about the "effective pay rise", I only care about the headline figure. In 2026, I'll have a gross salary that is 10.25% bigger then what it is now (ignoring increments). I've 30+ years, and that 10.25% is great to have for my pension.

I get a 2.25% increase in March*, thats about €60 a month. Even if I got a 4.5% increase in March, its about €120 a month. Its not a significant amount of money to me. However, the gross increase I get for another 30+ years.

Others care about the effective pay increase over the year, fair enough. I don't.

*yes, its backdated but the Unions will agree/disagree on March 25th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yes I do. You always have to have a snipe at the end of a post. I know managers like you in the Civil Service.

And what exactly is the issue with that, if they were that way inclined and able to vote?

The same as yourself.

Review all available information, look at how it applies to your own personal situation and vote accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The pension pyramid scheme simply has to collapse at some point in the next 10-30 years. Simply not enough paying into it to fund all those retiring.

I always cringe when I hear colleagues moaning about living from paycheck to paycheck and them maxed out on their voluntary pension contributions - "But.. But... it's tax efficient and the "pensions advisor" told me I need to start paying into it as soon as possible in my career" 🤣

What's going to happen is they will keep delaying for longer and longer the payouts for those retiring. Workers either have to go on welfare for longer or keep working for years passed retirement. Half the workforce will be the same hunched-over, work-beaten people desperate to retire but they'll still be in their jobs out of financial fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭bren2001

I take the very simple view with Public Sector Pensions - if a private pension fund collapses, that's your problem. If the Public Sector Fund collapses, that's the governments problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Oh did you rejoin a Union in the last few weeks so? Surprised you're willing to part with the subs.

Especially after regaling us (multiple times) of how you dramatically left the Union because of PSEU members crossing a picket line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

It's a no for me then. I probably would have voted yes if that was included. Its too long for 9.25%. It prob will still go through. Alot may not realise they don't get that additional 1% and vote it through

Advertisement