Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭bren2001

The UK doesnt produce enough gas for its own market. It imports around 25% of its gas from Norway. If that 25% is affected (and it should be), why would the UK give us gas if it cannot power its own market? If the UK is not under pressure, why are UK natural gas prices up approximately 1,300% from about £0.30/therm (September 2020) to £4.10/therm (today). The UK will struggle like every other European country.

Also, we don't "piggyback" off anyones electricity market, we have an All Island grid. The Irish portion of the grid is run and designed by Ireland and has very little to do with the UK. It is integrated because we are a small island and that just makes sense. It is for Northern Irelands benefit as it would be a tiny grid by itself, not ours. We don't piggyback off the UK's gas supply, we import it and pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We tripped the mains fuse at one stage switching on all the power hungry individual heaters while the boiler was out of action. So they solved the problem by confiscating the heaters, as others have reported.

Hope they sent you home. We got sent home one time when the boiler was broken (again) and the offices were so cold my teeth were literally chattering. We kicked up murder about it, and they gave us the heaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I worked in a cold office years ago, it was horrible. I would say if sat at a desk then the heat should be 21 degrees. No less than 20, particularly if there are older staff members or people with health issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

There's an energy crisis and a war . It's a sacrifice you will just have to make.

The Ukranian flag flying profile pic isn't just for show is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I work from home mostly so it won’t effect me that much I’m thinking on some of my coworkers who work in the office. Some of them are elderly and others in poor heath.

Generally though. Let more staff work from home and they can decide themselves if they want a warm or a freezing house. And it would have the added benefit of peop,e spending less on fuel to get to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Public sector have already been offered a back dated pay increase .

Put the hand away back into the pocket.

Itl stay warmer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

I'm here laughing at the outrage at setting office temps to 19 degrees after teaching in classrooms with windows open right throughout winter last year (Covid and ventilation). It'll be grand this year, at least we can close the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

On average is **** useless. Pay in the public/civil sector for comparative skills is 100% less. You are a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't know why you're going on about electricity. I didn't mention electricity in my post, we were talking about gas.

Near the end we get to the important part:

The 15 per cent fall in gas use agreed in July is voluntary. If a supply “alert” were to be triggered, the cuts in usage can become obligatory. Ireland secured an exemption to mandatory cuts along with Malta and Cyprus on the basis that, as island states, they are separate from the general EU grid, but the Government said it would nevertheless voluntarily try to reduce usage.

So if Germany is suffering through their own extremely short-sighted policy of cuddling up to Putin, the government has decided that we will suffer too in solidarity 🙄

Scrap the cap!

Gas is used to produce around 50% of Ireland's electricity supply over the course of a year. The same is true for the UK at the moment. Around 30% of all gas used in the UK is for electricity generation. The gas breakdown in the UK is 50% LNG and 50% is natural gas production.

When you referred to network, i wasn't actually sure if you meant gas or electricity so i addressed both. However, you cannot look or discuss the current gas situation without discussing electricity. The two are directly linked.

You never addressed the point as to why Britain are experiencing sky high gas and electricity prices if their supply is (supposedly) unaffected? It's all hot air according to you.

It's also funny that you say we are talking about gas and then proceed to link an article which predominantly talks about electricity reduction to reduce gas usage.

We are not doing anything in "solidarity", we are doing so because it makes financial sense for the country. Our gas is more expensive because of Putin. We cannot magic more gas or build interconnectors with other suppliers, one of the most effective ways to reduce the price of gas is to use less. Setting thermostats at 19 degrees is a sensible thing to do. It's also important to monitor older building to make sure all rooms are at least 19 degrees.

To say there is no gas shortage in Ireland is just wrong. We have sky high prices for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Leinster-based accountants have received a pay rise of more than 6pc this year, bringing the average salary up to €119,270.

This represented an increase of around €7,000 from 2021.

The survey of more than 1,000 Chartered Accountants revealed that 86pc of members had received a pay increase in the past three years.

Over a third of those surveyed in Leinster also said their salaries had increased by more than a quarter this year alone.

Those entering the profession received an average salary package of €58,967. This marked an increase of more than 3pc on last year.

The Chartered Accountants surveyed remained optimistic about the future, with 83pc expecting wages to rise again in the next year. Almost a fifth believe their pay will rise by more than 10pc.

Fewer members anticipate a bonus this year compared to last year, with 60pc expecting to receive bonus in 2022. This marked a decline of 7pc from 2021.

Salary packages for Leinster-based accountants rise by 6pc

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/salary-packages-for-leinster-based-accountants-rise-by-6pc-41968237.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah we all know we rely on gas for a lot of our electricity, that's not news to anyone.

You never addressed the point as to why Britain are experiencing sky high gas and electricity prices if their supply is (supposedly) unaffected?

That'd be the 50% of LNG they have to import, which goes up in line with global prices.

In Ireland we stupidly can't even import LNG here except via the UK due to Green opposition.

There's no indication the UK (and therefore Ireland) is going to be short of gas. High prices yes but not lack of supply.

So how far should these cuts go exactly? If consumers can afford to pay for the electricity and gas they want, we're hardly going to ration it and tell them they can't purchase it - or are we? - when the supply is there, just because of this "solidarity" bollocks

Most households are not in a position to significantly cut their energy use without experiencing hardship. Heavy retrofitting etc. is unaffordable for most. Switching to an electric car is unaffordable for most.

Scrap the cap!

In 2019 LNG accounted for 40% of UK natural gas imports. So no, Britains Sky High prices are not being driven by LNG solely. They are contributory. The UK accounts for 25% of Norways natural gas exports (figure prior to the war, I do not know the breakdown today). So no, you're just making statements up and presenting them as facts.

Yes, the highest bidder will have as much gas as they want. That is called supply and demand. The demand is relatively unchanged. The supply has decreased due to the unavailability of Russian gas. Britain cannot produce enough domestic supplies to fuel their networks. Hence, they have to enter the larger market and secure a gas. Prices have increased because supply has decreased. That is called a shortage. This is how shortages work.

Nothing I say is going to change your mind. You will just avoid facts and sidestep anything. It is simple, we will see if we have shortages this winter. Either data centres will be disconnected, large energy users will be disconnected, and there may be rolling blackouts across the country. If we use gas in a similar manner to previous years, the above are almost guaranteed. If we reduce our usage, we should be able to avoid them.

This thread is about Public Pay Talks and not gas, so I'll stop there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭fliball123

How much debt are these companies in and just to play fair and to use a tactical comment thrown at me. If you don't like your wage go join the private sector and be a Leinster based accountant :)

And yet this differential does not exist in most other countries the exceptions are the PIIGS countries and we all see how their finances are as the tail wags the dog in all of them. Your the fool you always have a go when the comparison doesn't suit your motive.

You twist and turn everything to suit yours. The civil and public service pays less than the private sector. Literally everyone and i mean everyone including you knows this. There is job security and friendlier working conditions but do not dare come on here and claim the private sectors gets paid less for comparative work or skills it is a lie.

• Advertisement

Well take your argument up with the CSO then as they are the ones producing the figures that have weekly wages in the public sector at least 20% ahead of the private sector and ask the question why are other countries not seeing this disparity in pay between the 2 sectors and the only ones that see it are the countries who cannot control their spend and over borrow as in the PIIGS . You call it twists and turns I call it reality.

Just on my last post and the narrative I have been talking about, here is another little piece of info for you that highlights where we are as a country are going with our spend and debt. ECB just upped interest rates .75% meaning borrowing at rollover time will be more expensive any new borrowing will be more expensive and the private sector who you all think are creaming it (phucking the delusion in the public sector is at crazy levels but keep the head in the sand lads everything is AOK) now if they need to get a loan to try and get through the cost of living crisis this process has just become a lot more expensive. As I said as far back as Jan/Feb this year there will be blood in the streets in the private sector come the winter 2022 / spring 2023. The notion that small to medium businesses can survive what is going on and give pay rises is a fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Phucking this phucking that. You think the ECB interest hike doesn't have an impact on public sector too? We better demand more money to help with that too. We are just a greedy bunch of head in the sand people allegedly 🙄

But you know why its higher. The private sector has large swathes on minimum wage. It has part time workers , student workers. Anybody with half a brain knows the pay in the civil service and public service is comparatively less. The choice of security vs salary is one that people have had to make for years.Jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

I think it'd be cool the original poster could close the thread once they feel the topic has run it's course.

Or once it turns into a fess pit of insults, unrelated arguments, misunderstandings and piss poor logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Do you not have a preferential interest rate on your mortgage as a CS?

Must be just me *😂

*don't have a mortgage.

That's not reality, though, it's your opinion. You've been told time and again, there is no point in using averages for anything.

How much does a Guard make in the private sector? Or a detective? Or a private TD? Streetsweepers, library assistants, lifeguards, postmen.......?

They don't exist, so why are you including them in your averages? Does this 'premium' (which, for those at the back, you personally have agreed may not actually be a premium and may show that the public jobs should be paid greater than 20% more) take everything into account or is it just base pay? i.e. is it an eranings differential instead of a pay differential?

There is no direct comparison for probably 50%+ of public jobs. You cannot compare the two. And using the average wages of both sectors is a particularly stupid method of trying to compare them. It's just bad maths.

Sorry you piggies already got your filll from the though the government have written in pay increases for the public sector and cannot turn around and say now inflation is temporary and the rest of us have to get our turn now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

If everyone just puts fliball on ignore then the thread is fine.

• Advertisement

Or just keep your head buried in the sand and the narrative for the cost of the pay rise in the public sector is Ireland is in a great situation nothing to see here lets all increment the hell out of each other sure the magic money tree out the back can just keep on printing.

Advertisement