Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Tucson 2015 Steering Issue

Options
  • 09-06-2022 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭This is it

Evening all,

I have what seems like a small issue issue with the steering on a newly bought 152 Tucson. Everything is fine until I'm on a motorway around 100kph or above, the steering becomes a little rigid. Any other car I've driven and the pressure needed to turn the wheel is around the same once moving, but with this it feels like it can move either way by a few millimetres but takes a bit more pressure to get past that and then it's "free". It'll stay free for a few seconds and then same again.

Incredibly annoying when driving and having to force it past that stopping point each time I need to turn slightly on a motorway.

I'll be bringing it back to the garage early next week but thought I'd ask here first.

There are two steering modes, normal and sport but there doesn't seem to be any difference, at that speed anyway. Also it has lane assist which works well when turned on but I was thinking it could possibly be an electronic issue, and something to do with lane assist even though the issue is when that's off... Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I have the same issue.

I think I read here a while back it’s a known problem but if out of warranty they won’t fix it free of charge.

Agree it’s very annoying when on motorway’s.

We had a problem with Tucson steering (161). The power steering would randomly cut out and become heavy, making the car undriveable.

The electronics section was blamed, but the fix required the entire steering rack to be replaced. It was an expensive and unhappy experience as we were just outside warranty.

I hope you have a better experience than we had, did you buy from a dealer or privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭This is it

Ah, disaster. I bought from a dealer so I might try my hand and see what they say.

As above, bought from a dealer so I'll drop in and see what they say. Only picked it up a few weeks ago.

It's not that the power steering is cutting out, it feels like there's something electronic holding it in place and it just needs a small bit of force to free it. Fine if you've to do it a couple of times but even 30 minutes on the m50 this evening was enough to annoy me and start this thread 😂

The effect was far worse at low speeds. It would randomly become heavy. If you had a turn to make it would be a major problem.

Please do not be fobbed off, this is not going to resolve itself.

Our experience put us off the brand permanently.

• Advertisement

We have a 2016 Tucson that has lane assist. It's not that kicking in is it? AFAIK it happens once you go over 40km/h or something like that. It keeps you between the painted lines and needs a little bit of effort to push past.

There's a green light on the dash of a car with the lines either side that comes on when it's active.

I realise this might sound stupid, so forgive me if it's a proper issue with the power steering, just thought I'd throw it out there in case it's something small.

Like this but green when active. You can switch it off via a button with the same symbol

Mine is a white light for audible warning and green for active lane assist.

I don't think it's coming on itself because it's not changing direction when I approach a line. I feel like it's something electronic holding the steering in place, so possibly a part of the lane assist malfunctioning and holding the steering even when off.

Advertisement