Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drag Shows for Kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Won’t someone please think of the children, being exposed to these horrors?

Yeah, those are some pretty shocking pics. Everyone agrees it's manky when it's child pageants, and this is manky, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Drag is good craic…probably not for children though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Christmas panto has been doing drag forever, just a matter of making it age appropriate, not like these shows will be the risque sort of stuff seen on stage in a licensed premises at night where kids wouldn't, or shouldn't, be..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah are you referring to pantomimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I am indeed, pantomime mostly known for

• Gender role reversal.
    • A storyline of good vs evil.
    • Slapstick comedy.
    • Colourful, eccentric costumes.
    • Audience participation.
    • Likely derived from a fairy tale or nursery story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm always amused at how so called "wokists" get called snowflakes and accused of cancel culture when I see this type of thread 🙃

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Thank you for using the term "wokist", it's a handy indicator when to stop reading and disregard someone as a crank.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I can’t see this being much different from pageants.

The link is a good clue also, one of those ones usually read by the mentally challenged and c*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I remember a kid I knew in school watched Mrs. Doubtfire and he turned into a gay the next day.

And another fella I knew watched a few episodes of Mrs. Brown's boys not too long ago and got depressed and tried to hang himself. Although I think we've all been there after being forced to watch an episode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a terrible shame that young impressionable children should be given a warped sense of sexuality by men who dress funny and live a completely different sort of life.

but enough about first holy communion.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I don't think that drag is the issue, it's that there have been quite a few issues in the UK recently where drag has been used to push extremely iffy left wing trans views on very very young children without their parents knowledge until after the fact. Schools are losing the run of themselves with this nonsense. A family trip to a pantomime is very different to a young child being taught bogus trans ideology.

There's a big difference between pantomime and what appears to be going on in the images below:

And here is a child dancing as if it were an adult drag show, and receiving cash tips from participants.

Whatever you may call it, it's not "just pantomime".

This is outrageous.

I'm a big fan of drag (and RuPaul's Drag Race, actually), but this has no place in schools or with children. This is adult entertainment.

What’s the difference between pantomime and whatever is going on in the images you posted please?

Let's assume you're right and there's no difference (which I don't for a second concede), do you think what's happening in those images - and in the footage - is acceptable behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You just won the internet. Absolutely brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Let's assume you're right and there's no difference

So you're ignoring the question and we're just moving on into full blown whataboutery now?

OK...

🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement

So you don’t have any particular concerns about the first set of photos you shared?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why is there someone without clothes in one of those pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Well the one on the bottom left seems to have their cock out. I’ve never been to a panto where someone on stage got their cock out.

I have palpable concerns, hence why I've zoomed in to one of the photos you quite clearly are trying to ignore.

I'll reassert the question: do you think it's acceptable for young children, perhaps 5-8 years old, to place money into the panties of an almost naked drag artist?

I'm happy to discuss the other images, yes, but can we focus on this one to begin with.

I'm quite clear about this; I don't think it's acceptable. I think it's absolutely outrageous (and I say that as a member of the LGBT community myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"All perfectly normal" the creepy weirdos proclaim in a panicked voice

Ah, jaysus lads, anyone trying to defend this is mental. There's no way I'm clicking the link but based on the photo's shown?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It is not acceptable for a grown man to have his cock out in front of children. That is not panto, that's not even proper drag. It's not acceptable for children to be putting money into the panties of someone in drag. It's fine for adults and those of age. It's just not for kids. Nothing wrong with dressing for panto and fairy tales, comedy etc, but some of the second pics are not appropriate.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Deviants with access to kids. Whoever set these up should be sacked with immediate effect.

I was just thinking to myself; why would an adult drag artist even begin to think that "hmm, let's introduce this to children".

Why would that idea even enter someone's mind?

The same principle would apply to any other form of adult entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

Some of the photos and clips so far are highly questionable. Why wouldn't the performers just refuse to perform once they see that the audience is going to be little kids?

I would say it's concerning to see people rush to downplay this with references to pantomime and snowflakes and what have you. I don't exactly know why you'd want to do that. It's one thing to pretend that you think the female Ghostbusters movie is great because you know it kind of annoys your political opponents. It's another thing entirely to expose kids to stuff like this because it makes your political opponents mad. Maybe it makes them mad because it comes across as a bit predatory and creepy? People I despise politically think that this is some kind of grooming and are outraged so I am going to ignore the warning signs because it amuses me to see them get angry. Pretty dangerous game. I wonder if there's a few lessons we could learn from history there? Ah, sure, probably not. It'll be fine!

Handwaving something like this away because it annoys people you don't like is a good way to miss some pretty obvious red flags. Guess we'll just laugh at the snowflakes and hope that we aren't hearing allegations and tales of abuse in years to come because we all just thought it was a right good laugh at the time.

Given the history of institutional abuse of children in this country it's kind of horrifying to see people move so quickly to play this down. We should at least be a little bit wary and skeptical here but apparently we aren't going to do that. It'll all be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement