Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drag Shows for Kids

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I asked you what you thought drag was, that's what you told me.

I didn't ask for an example. I don't even agree that that is a drag show, and I certainly don't agree it's for kids. So why is it being used as an example of 'drag shows for kids'? Even if they were both adults, I'm not sure it would qualify as drag. Just because it had a picture of a male in a dress doesn't make it drag.

It's a creepy inappropriate photo that pretends to be drag.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Can you detail specifically how the photo relates to drag shows for kids please?

So you're composting that this is or is not drag?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Composting?

I've already stated that this goes beyond the standard definition of drag, but like an extreme version of anything it is anchored by the original definition albeit in a different form, in this case a form that is exposing children to overtly sexualised content as opposed to standard drag that is wonderful fun for adults and isn't aimed at children at all.

Nobody has an issue with drag as a concept, it's this variety that is being demonstrated in front of children that is the issue.

Drag is fine, drag including nudity is fine, drag including nudity performed for children isn't.

Glazers Out!

Yes.

I can. And I have. On this thread. Read back.

It's got two famous drag queens. One being a winner of a very famous global television show and a little boy who is famous for being a baby drag queen.

Both famous for drag. One is a kid. A very young kid. Famous for drag.

So if that isn't an example of drag show for kids, do you think that young boy is an child performer of adult drag?

A few on here are clamouring to defend drag. Nobody has an issue with pantomime dames playing it up for laughs.

People have an issue with the images in the op which are somehow dismissed as not an issue or "not drag".

The amazing Desmond is an example of children and drag. The child in that photo is an example of children and drag. Is that acceptable?

Why, outside of for humour in a panto, should children be exposed to any aspect of drag?

• Advertisement

*Complaining - sorry.

I wasnt sure if you were complaining that this is drag, that this is sexualised material inappropriate for kids or acceptable men in womens attire a la pantomime. Or whether you were for or against it.

Just to be clear, others on the thread absolutely ruled out any possibility of drag shows for kids.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Here's the thing: Evil people don't have horns. Even Ted Bundy was a very intelligent and charming man.

I've been a police officer for over 15 years now, and it ALWAYS starts off with innocent-sounding language. These sick fcuks always use lines like "it'll be fun", "it's only a game", "we're just playing around" and yes, there are gullible parents out there who fall for the charm and the money.

Think about that photo. A 10yo boy dressed as a girl standing so close to a mostly-naked man that his shoulder is nearly touching the child's eye. The only piece of clothing worn by the adult is a tiny piece of square cloth covering his genitals which was later revealed to be held in situ by double-sided tape.

The good news for you all is not a single gay or lesbian person I know approves of this in the name of inclusion or whatever the buzzword is this week. They are just as sickened as the huge majority here. As Wibbsy said, this is only being cheered on by either those with the IQ of a fruit fly or are twisted deviants. It's about as close to an indecent image of a child as you can get... but it's just fun... it's only a game. Right?

Parents, aunts, uncles: don't be afraid to stand up and call out evil when it's this clear and obvious. It always comes with a smile.

Yeah, I know what it is - you said before - and I uphold my position of you not understanding what drag was beyond one unrepresentative example.

EDIT - sorry, not sure if it was you or nullzero who answered the initial question.

There are different types of drag. Some are acceptable to be performed in from of children, but some certainly are not.

The definition is an someone dressing up as the opposite sex in an exaggerated style. It is usually done for comic effect when performed for children.

When done in situations like panto, nobody has an issue.

But it's clear from the link in the op that these aren't the situations we are discussing.

Adults can do what they want in front of other consenting adults.

It is situations where children are performing for adults in a sexualised manner or when children are exposed to naked adults for a photoshoot by virtue of both being "drag performers" is when we think we may have jumped the shark.

Outside of comic relief or to make children laugh at the sight of someone dressed as the opposite sex in an absurd and exaggerated style, what possible reason should children be exposed to drag artists, never mind perform as one?

• Advertisement

The problem with the link is that there are several different images. Some are of the inapprioraite type we both agree on is inapproriate for children. Some are of the panto type we both agree is ok for children.

The issue I have is people trying to lump them all into one pile and then telling me "this is drag! Do you think it's approtiate for children?" and, when I ask what they mean by drag, running around and saying "Princess thinks a man exposing his penis to a child is appropriate for children!" or trying to highlight one of the four images as if the other three don't exist.

As I said before: I think most of us are probably in agreement with which ones are ok and wihich ones are not, but there are a few posters who just want to get every last mileage out of virtue signal gallon (and they'll probbay reply to this post with something like "you're part of the problem, you pedophile!!!")

I was hoping you would reply with that to be honest. I think you had confused me with someone else because although we don't always see eye to eye on topics, I wouldn't consider you to be unreasonable

Nobody has argued every form of drag is equally as inappropriate for children.

Far from it. It has been repeatedly emphasised that only overtly sexualised forms are wrong.

Panti Bliss recently painting a giraffe in front of kids in a park, for example, is not comparable to what we've seen in the OPs link.

The distinction is crystal clear, I'd like to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Cody montana

There's that exaggeration again - I didn't say 'weakest' of the herd. I said ' the attack on the weak ones in the herd, the T in LGBT', which is slightly different. It was intended to be taken figuratively, which I thought was fairly obvious, given that LGBT people aren't actually a herd of animals. Trans people are generally seen as the weakest group, rather than being the weakest people. They are the smallest group in number, and the group that has least rights today, and least advocates supporting them. They are the group that has come under significant attack in the UK in the last five years or so, and some people seem quite determined to import that culture war here, to solve some non-existent problem.

Can you point out any single example of where this photo was 'cheered on' by anyone please?

Except that you haven't answered that question. Indeed, you seem to be very carefully avoiding, or maybe even evading that question.

In your response immediately below, you are clearly asking more questions than giving answers 'If that isn't an example' and 'do you think that young boy'.

I know nothing about that photo, or the people in it, except what was posted on this thread, which was that it was taken at a convention apparently.

I'm not seeing the connection between a photo taken at a convention and drag shows for kids.

Maybe you'd like to clarify what the connection is?

That's not true. @DarkJager21 has explicitly argued that there is no form of drag that is appropriate for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Wrong. There absolutely has been is a push to expose kids to Drag Queens. Not for the entertainment value like a panto but to expose them to be inclusive of Draq Queens. How do I know this? Because they said it themselves during the controversy over Drag Queen Story Hours that a lot of people objected to. I heard them say 'we need to show kids that it's okay to be different' and all that kind of nonsense.

Tell me, do you think there is a problem with prejudice towards Drag Queens? Is that where you're coming from?

Drag Queens have said that prejudice toward them is homophobia. No dears, it's not homophobia, it's DragQueenPhobia and I have no problem with DragQueenPhobia, not least because it's not homophobia. I absolutely do not think society would be better off if Drag Queen felt they had a right to 'be' a drag queen at work, or walz around in public being a Drag Queen, shopping in the supermarket as a Drag Queen 'being who they want to be'. No, they do not have a right to walz around in public as a Drag Queen no more than those into BDSM has a right to walz around in public in leather gear and chains.

You I got you mixed up with nullzero, definitely. Apolgies.

---

Anyway - I'm out of this thread. Said what I needed to say and the only way forward is if peole start nitpicking my posts or strawman arguments, and I have better use for my time.

So long all and thanks for the fish :)

What exactly is your problem with other people choosing to wear different clothes to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

As I said to you earlier, give me one reason why a drag show of any sort is appropriate for kids - not hard to make some response surely? No worries if you don't, I totally understand that might require a bit more energy and logic to compose than the passive aggressive callouts you've be giving me in a couple of posts.

Entertainment is one reason. Give me one reason why kids shouldn’t attend an age appropriate drag show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Because children are entertained by Peppa pig, paw patrol or dinosaurs or princesses or whatever takes their fancy. What entertainment does a fella in women's clothes and make up provide? A 2 minute curio before everyone becomes uncomfortable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

If it was Trump in that photo, you'd be the first condemn it.

Do you not see your own hypocrisy?

I have answered the question. The link is that the child in the picture is a famous drag artist. That is the link between drag artists and children. If a child is a drag artist then there are either drag shows that welcome children, or children perform at adult only drag shows.

There can be shows that have characters in drag for comedic effect and make children laugh at the absurdity of it all.

That's pantomime.

Then there are other types of drag ala RuPauls drag race or drag shows in gay bars or clubs, ones which that child performs in.

That's not suitablefor children. To perform in or attend.

There is no earthly reason that young children should be introduced to drag unless it is for comedic effect.

Now, in your mealy mouthed attempt to shut down the thread, you said trans peoplethe weak ones in the herd. The herd you were referring to was the LGBT community. This implies that trans people were the weakest. No exaggeration. You said you'd stand by everything you said. No surprises that you don't.

For a "man" who refuses to answer a question, you ask an awful lot.

Please don't respond to me unless you are willing to answer the question I asked earlier.

It's a discussion board. One where questions are asked and answered and opinions shared. Not an interrogation board where you get to ask all the questions and refuse to answer even the most basic.

You aren't discussing in good faith and are being dishonest (and that's me being kind to avoid an infraction)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That picture is mad. Like, if someone doesn't see nothing wrong with that, then there is something wrong with them.

But we do live in a mad mad world.

It is bizarre.

Thankfully, due to useful idiots like the people who pretend to see nothing wrong with that type of thing, it's only a matter of time until decent ordinary people will push back and no longer be passive when it comes to calling out lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Trawling the internet? It came up in my twitter timeline in the last few days as I am subscribed Libs of Tiktok(a very popular twitter page)

I am deeply upset about it hence why I started the thread to bring awareness to people as usually what starts in US (so-called)progressive circles finds it way to Ireland in short order.

Very very weak attempt at making me out to be the weirdo for being against the sexual predation of children........

I'm not so sure of that. People are generally afraid to resist all this nonsense, unless it affects their own children directly. Irish people don't really like rocking the boat, preferring to use established organisations or representatives to do the legwork for them. As evidenced by how much nonsense gets approved by our politicians, and there's been extremely little pushback against them. But what do you do when all the organisations and politicians are bending over to show virtue to those involved in all this? The only realistic resistance would have been the RCC, but they've got no standing to do anything anymore.

Nope. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of this crap.. because it's associated with the gay community now. The lack of resistance to the LGBTQXYZ associations means that these people can piggyback off the guilt over homophobia (which is pretty strongly in evidence on this thread as it is).. the associations are already being made.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement