Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drag Shows for Kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Cody montana

First of all, they were drag shows with children, not "strip shows".

Second, it's revealing that rather than condemn what has happened - a clear abuse of children - you'd rather talk about the frequency of such events.

The first priority, first and foremost, should be a concern for the children involved in these drag events.

The second priority should be to ensure that these kinds of events do not spread any further.

But you'd rather we brush these priorities under the carpet and instead focus on how frequently they are occurring in different countries?

See the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Btw, the second photo is of a woman.

What shows am I defending?

Drag shows in adults bars?

Hell yeah, they’re great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, it's not exactly clear what happened, is happening or where.

Can you link to one incident in Ireland of something that concerns you, yes or no? And without telling me to read the entire thread or Google somrthing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You're literally on every American political thread, espousing American "left wing" views, yet you're using distance as a defense, when people like yourself are the very ones importing the worst of America into Ireland. The point being, that the worst of America eventually reaches these shores, so no, we won't wait until the problem arrives in Ireland for it to be considered topical.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Second, it's revealing that rather than condemn what has happened - a clear abuse of children - you'd rather talk about the frequency of such events.

well, if the frequency is 'zero' that kinda does play into the discussion. what many people are getting at is are we seeing some sort of reds under the beds panic?

The fact it’s being to drag shows is fake news.

• Advertisement

In almost all cases of abuse or crime, the focus isn't necessarily on the frequency but rather on discussing ways to ensure that this kind of behaviour does not spread any further.

Turning a blind eye and hoping it will go away does not solve the problem.

As we've seen with the US before, there is a disturbing trend that what starts over there tends to, over time, creep into our societies.

You're still deflecting away from my question. And I brought it up in response to your own post which I quoted. Not in relation to drag.. which the original paragraph I wrote covered.

Grand. You're not going to answer it. Not going to continue chasing you on this as you move further away from the original point.

If the Irish variant of that side of the isle was in this thread full of condemnation, you'd have a point, but we're seeing the opposite, people are either deflecting from the issue or outright defending it, meaning that if it does happen here, they'll be an army of people like yourself ready to defend it not matter how wrong it is. So the problem will already have a host the minute it arrives in Ireland, meaning that it won't be quickly quashed.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

We saw it with the Johnny Depp situation over the last few weeks with some people seemingly unable to come to terms with the fact that a man can be a victim of domestic abuse. Or that a man could win his court case against a woman. That's just so gut wrenching that such a thing could happen.

One of the main arguments being used was that MRAs or Alt-Right or Misogynists were loving the trial and it's eventual result. So you can't be on Depp's side because despite being a victim he has too many of the wrong people supporting him. Willing to ignore a whole category of victims because we don't want those nasty MRAs to feel like they won something.

Maybe there's no slippery slope here at all. Let's hope not. However, if there is then we are seeing the warning signs now and ignoring them because it's making Ben Shapiro or Matt Walsh or the current Boogeyman of the Week have a meltdown on social media so it's well worth it?

So what happens in a decade if stories start coming out? Kids who were eight or nine now dealing with depression and trauma in their late teens and they are starting to tell their stories? Just say oh so sorry kids we were having too much fun trolling the right wingers online and we ignored some pretty big red flags?

I don’t want to shock you.

But this is an Irish website.

Left wing views are generally the same across most western countries, same with right wing views.

The rest is fear mongering nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,756 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's the new ad to replace the old jingle. Everyone together now:

It's the Gaiety panto

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Can you be more specific about what you mean by “these drag events”?

Are you referring to events like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,756 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Interested in attending one?

Mr. Murphy the old principal in my primary school might know. He used to give them regularly to all the kids that wanted them. And also regularly to the kids who didn't. I wonder whatever happened to him? He was in the paper a few years back now that I think of it. He must have made it big eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Why wont you condemn drag events of a sexual nature being shown to children?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement

I don’t want to attend any strip show.

A drag show most certainly,

No, Panti Bliss has nothing to do with this.

You want people to believe that somehow Panti Bliss drawing a giraffe is the kind of events we're talking about.

Nice try. Total fail.

You know full well that the drag events in question had a penis exposed to a young child; children placing money into the panties of an almost naked man; and events with phrases such as "This Will Not Lick Itself" plastered over the walls. And that's not even all of it.

The events, incidentally, that you described as mere "pantomime".

Exactly, so the same mindset that exists on the American "left", that's allowed this madness through the door, exists here too, meaning that the outcome is just as likely here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

On the assumption that these images / videos are real, or they are what they appear to be, I don’t see how it can’t be condemned. It seems like a really full-on and pretty weird environment for children to be in / performing in. It looks sexualised and inappropriate — and I’m a fairly liberal type.

The problem on this thread though, as with many others like it, is the painfully obvious nature of the agendas underpinning it. It started from the very beginning of the thread — first line of the shared article: “A few weeks ago I started noticing that the Left was ramping up their grooming efforts in the form of “family-friendly” drag shows open to audiences of all ages.” This sort of stuff is intellectually vacuous garbage, seeking to create a uniform caricature of “the Left” as if it were some kind of hive mind and then accuse the extremely broad swathe of left-leaning people in the world of the vicarious grooming of children. Who is the Left? Do they gather in a chamber somewhere and discuss their grooming plans?

This stupid concept of ‘the Left’ is a daft generalisation used by commentators to create this faceless enemy in this so-called culture war — and for whatever reason a lot of people eat this trash up. The videos are bad, the pictures are bad, kids shouldn’t be exposed to such sexualised environments — and that comes from someone who is left leaning. Does that mean I’m not the Left anymore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I will happily condemn ANY entertainment event of a sexual nature being shown to children, but again - is there ANY evidence that is has/is actually happening in Ireland?

I tried asking eskimo, but I think he's just as confused as I am. Panti Bliss apparently is ok.

Is it possible that nearly everyone of us agree that panto/drag is fine wile sexual/drag is inaapropraite?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

By deflecting, by trying to paint people who are worried about this as hysterical people. It happens on boards with nearly every budding social issue. Sane people say "this could be a problem here in the future", the other side then try their best to convince us all that it will never happen, and if it does eventually happen, which it often does, they then try and justify it.

grand so, you clearly have trouble with nuance.

Can you point to any specific events that you’d like me to condemn please?

Is it possible that nearly everyone of us agree that panto/drag is fine wile sexual/drag is inaapropraite?

I'd agree with that.

Although, I'd hope that the Trans agenda isn't being promoted to children as part of the panto/drag. But if it's just a normal innocent (intended for children) piece of theatre? Sure. I'm fine with that.

• Advertisement

Were these “drag events in question” drag events for children, of the type being discussed here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement