Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I get BER assessment done?

• 10-06-2022 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I am planning a renovation on my home, I am working with an architect on this. It is currently a D2 and I would like to bring it up to at least a B2 with a heat pump. It is not suitable for external insulation. Architect is talking about attic insulation and internal wall insulation. Hes planning to do this as part of the renovation. QS said not worth the money trying to get it above a C2.

Is it worth me getting a BER assessment done. I think it's around €500 for the assessment. Does the builder I hire for the renovation do the work or do I have to organise the energy upgrades separately? Should I just trust the architect & QS here on this project? Very confused!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if you carry out works which will affect at least 25% of the surface envelope of the house, they you need to comply with Part L of the building regulations and you need to achieve a B2 rating as a minimum. the only way to ensure yo will achieve a B2 rating is to engage a BER assessor who knows what they are doing.

having internal wall insulation and attic insulation carried out most probably will mean you will exceeding 25% of the surface envelope.

your QS should have know this and not advised against it, which would lead me to question his/her knowledge. has the architect also not made this known to you?

Advertisement