Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting buried outdoor cat 6 cable for extra ports on patio?

Options
  • 10-06-2022 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

In the process of breaking earth for our patio we found the cat 6 cable running out to the shed from our patch panel in the utility room.

I have spare ports in the patch panel but getting from the patch panel outside would involve running ducts along the inside wall for the first time and cutting into a path outside.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a passive split kit that would give 2 ethernet lines for the patio and then continue on for the shed, essentially a mini switch that we could seal and bury?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

burying a mini switch does not sound like a good idea as it will be a nightmare if it ever gives trouble. better to use a real switch where the cable comes out of the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭boardtc

Not a flyer as it comes out off the ground in the shed a good way from the patio. I guess we could temporarily bring it out of the ground if there was a weatherproof outdoor switch/port combo that we could link in to and then run on from there to the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If happy with 100Mbps then no extra equipment needed - split two pairs for each.

However, will you have enough length of tails at patio? Also, it will involve breaking into cable. It will be prone for moisture ingress.

What purpose you need Eth port at patio, if don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

how would it be powered?

why not just have an wireless network outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Good point, but power could be present/planed.

Me also were thinking to suggest proper WiFi solution that would cover from house wall or from shed side(or both) as Eth already there.

Perhaps OP has some good reason to have Eth on the patio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

You can also get switches that are powered by POE.

Agree though WiFi access point might be a better solution but depends on the intended use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭niallb

If the shed is fairly near to the patio, just put a decent wifi access point on the outside wall of the shed facing back.

I have three of these switches in different locations around the house. They're great value and work really well.

You'd want to leave a permanent access hatch to make changes or repair problems, but it could be sealed up well and even marked and buried.

If you end up having a problem with doing this with a buried switch you permanently lose network in the shed as well as on the patio.

Advertisement