Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No longer in the country - credit card debt outstanding

• 11-06-2022 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I have recently left the country. I have 2 credit cards with balance of €4,000 and €2,500 respectively. I am now living in another EU country with much lower standard so paying off the CCs will take a long time. I do not own anything in Ireland. I am considering not paying off the cards. What can realistically happen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Potentially:

They sue you and get and enforcement order in the country you are living in.

Your credit record is in bits for the next 6-12 years.

You are blocked from getting a credit card with the same brand(s).

Is there someone who could loan you the money and you repay them? Could you get a bank loan to pay off the credit cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just to add the Debt will infact remain on OP"s credit report in perpetuity until its cleared.

Highly unlikely any enforcement will take place in another EU or Non EU country, too expensive, so Debt will be sold at a discount and the purchaser will sit on it knowing at some stage OP will have to deal with them. Some think the Status Barred debt defence angle is a clever way around avoidence of an unsecured Debt, not so simple or straightforward I'm afraid.

Best deal with now, gradually in my humble opinion.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement