Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic ksyrium sl opinions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

@JMcL I would choose them as well, not only because they look nicer but appear compared to Mavic to be easier to source parts across multiple big EU retailers (if you do repairs yourself, I realise many won't). Also they look nicer, not that is the most important thing. The LBS should have no issue getting them or similar in.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Ok cool. Yeah i had issues with gp 5000s before and tubeless. I dont do tubeless any more. I have a set of gp 4000s to go on the wheels that are practically new so ill wear them out and get something new in tubed afterwards. This bike is just for climbing and cycling like i stole it. Dropped it in today to be collected saturday, new bar tape, tune up and brakes changed around, and of course the wheels fitted. Cant wait.

I feel like I could do a thesis on your various bike set ups by now OP!!

I have a set of Kysyrium SLs on my winter bike and really like them. Hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think there's a bit too much overthinking about wheels. Find the type of wheel you want i.e aero, lightweight, spend enough to make it an upgrade, job done. Ok it's a bit more involved than that but no need to worry about mismatching, get whatever the feck you want as long as it's compatible.

If you're happy with the brand, stick with them. If not, there's so many brands so try something new.

Regarding the Zondas, in the 6 years I've been riding on them I wouldn't say they're harsh, they're definitely stiffer compared to other wheels they replaced so nicer feel out of the saddle. No comfort issues though and very durable, they can take a hell of a beating and barely go out of true.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

• Advertisement

Got the wheels today. They are class and feel very similar in weight etc to the hunt carbons I had. Bike is coming in at 7.7kg on the scale. New bar tape and brakes changed around. Happy days, just need this weather to pick up that we were told we were getting.

Yep delighted, 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Black and red looks nicer than the gray/blue Endurace I have.

Looks good, nice touch with the matching saddle and bar tape.

Looking good. Nice set up. They sound good too, but nothing like the hornet's nest sound you get off the Hunt free hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Nice ride. Just need some carbon wheels and bars, ever consider disc brakes? 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Pretty sure those rims are tubeless (ready) though!

Have a go at dismounting the GP4000 there and getting it back on to be sure before you head off on a long cycle would be my advice!

They look nice and complement that frame well.

Are the 4000s a pig to get on and off? The gp 5000s were the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You're missing the point! The tyres themselves aren't the problem, the shape of the tubeless-ready rims are the problem - for any tyre!

GP4s and 5s are generally a doddle to slip onto normal clincher rims, but turn from Jekyll to Hyde when mounting on new generation Mavic rims.

Ffs, I've no luck with bikes. When I bought my defy advanced 2 2020 brand new, there was an intermittent banging noise coming from the rear hub due to crappy pr2s. Had the bike in the shop 4 times and then had to wait 6 months for a replacement wheel which ruined the new bike feel.

Now, I think the rear hub on my kyrsiums are faulty. On the hills, when im out of the saddle putting power down, the rear hub is intermittently slipping with a ping sound. It's happening when you coast for a second and re-engage the pedal and only happened four times today out of a 2 hr cycle. Still head melting as I got them new Friday.

Are u crossing the chain? IE. small ring little ring?

No. Its on the lightest gear and smallest cog on front going uphill and I'm not changing gears. When I was going up the same hills with the mavic askiums it wasn't an issue. I might throw them back on and go on the same hills and see if it's still an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

When you say it's on the "lightest gear" which of the rings on the front are you on, big or small? If the chain is on the small ring in front, and smallest cog at the back, that is cross chaining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Sounds to me to be an issue with the free and the pawls slipping / not engaging when climbing.

Cant see how the pawls would make a ping sound tho, could well be tho, not arguing or anything. The ping sound sounds to me like it could be the chain slipping off a cog tooth when he's putting the power down, which happens whens its crazy slack from cross chaining or even when the drive train is brand new and the chain is stretching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

He’s not cross chaining though - he’s in the small front chainring and lightest rear sprocket

Sorry, its on the small in front and biggest in back, the lightest gear. It's a weird sound and you can feel a slight slip in the back wheel, followed by the sound and then it's fine again for a while. Its not happening on flats or downhill when coasting, only when putting power down going uphill, particularly when out of the seat.

Could it be the hub needs a lick of grease or something?

If the pawls are slipping on the ratchet of the freehub, it could be the retaining ring is stretched or not seated properly, but if they're new wheels, I'd be bringing them back to the shop under warranty.

Did you get a new chain on the bike? If so, could it be too long? That would cause the chain to skip teeth under load (ask me how I know🙄)

If it's the original chain, check for stretch, for the same reason

Thank you. No new chain, going back to the shop. They will think I'm nuts. The exact same problem as my defy and the same shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

It wouldn't be the spokes pinging would it?? I had a winter wheel trued earlier this year and when I took it out on the road the first time it 'pinged' a few times but was fine then after that.

Just noticed this morning when cycling to work the wheel was not right. Then I remembered, I took the back wheel off Friday to have a feel of them in the hand and I don't think it was back on right and that's why they are acting up, I think. It's finnicky going from thru axles back to quick release but that's the joys of rim brake. I'll give them another week and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13068835/quot-pinging-quot-rear-spokes

If it's spokes pinging have a read, pretty sure ugo.santlucia and cycleclinic are professional wheel builders.

It you put the wheel back incorrectly it might have been your rear derailleur touching spokes; especially as you say lowest gear.

Lots of wheels are sold with tensions all over the place; not a good thing. To my mind a spoke tension check should be part of sale contract

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Check that your freehub is not loose. If you can wiggle the largest cog on the back while the wheel is mounted then it possibly is.

He reckons the wheel wasn't seated properly in the dropouts.

• Advertisement

I checked it there, it's solid. I was lining the rear wheel off the brake pads when the caliper itself was not centred meaning the whole wheel was a mile off to the point it was nearly touching the frame on the right hand side. The rattling noise I heard this morning that I thought was coming from the wheel was extra tools I had put in the saddle bag hitting off each other 😂. I know, I'm a pleb.

Anyway, I'm going for a blast on the hills Wednesday so I'll see how it goes. I called the shop and flagged it with them just so they are aware of the issue so it's on the radar.

The defy I had was lovely but its great being on a more pure race bike set up. I spent hours on the canyon the weekend sat and sun and did not want to get off it its so lively and responsive. Way more comfortable too. It just flys along. I have the bug back again. Thanks for replies. I'll keep the thread updated.

Advertisement