Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Economics101

I have nothing to be ashamed of, but object to the sheer intrusiveness of retailers knowing all about me. OK, I'm willing to forego all those clubcard points, but this latest Tesco wheeze is orders of magnitude more costly.

There is such a thing as GDPR, and while it does not cover Clubcards, I have seen much less significant breaches of privacy being hammered by GDPR rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,026 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Maybe you should start your own thread on GDPR issues and leave this for Tesco prices.

If Tesco's pricing involves data privacy issues, then imho this is the place for it. What has happened is a new departure in Tesco's pricing policy, and there is no need for you to be so dismissive

True that's a fairly daft attitude if the same person has ever used Amazon or even has Gmail or an Android phone.

How does it work that you see different prices with a clubcard anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There are 2 prices listed on a lot of products in my local Tesco. Standard one, and there is then a blue box below it, which can have a greatly reduced price. It is worth having a clubcard for, if you shop in Tesco often. You'll save plenty on a weekly shop.

That was point I was making. We all give out so much of our data and details these days, to get all up in arms about Tesco asking you to get the card to avail of lower prices is a tad silly. You don't have to get the card if you don't want to, thats your own call.

And if you pay by card at any shop, yes even Aldi and Lidl, they already know your buying habits. You don't think they are keeping your purchase history? Everyone is keeping all the data on you that is possible. Get over it.

• Advertisement

If I use cash or debit card they cannot link my purchases to or my phone or email. The clubcard gives them all that personal stuff.

Anyhow I suspect that having these new dual prices might somewhat mask the price increases which others have been complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tesco don't have even make it all that easy online to find the full list of Clubcard discounted products... which seems self defeating.

Go to the Tesco website and without knowing there was a clubcard discount on Domaine Arnaud, how would you find out?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think when signing up to clubcard you can opt out if nearly every tracking and marketing option on the paper form, and still get the same discount but any vouchers may not be personalised and so may not be that useful. I think you can also use a paper "temporary" card and get the at till discounts without actually signing up.

This 2 tier pricing is getting more common, and it's possibly designed to discount the savvy price watcher and screw the people who never check prices.

As I said, I have had a clubcard for Tesco for maybe 10+ years. Could be closer to 15.

The only physical correspondence I have ever received from them was "money off" vouchers. Handy enough. Never got any other junk mail.

I don't remember getting many emails either, certainly no more than any other company I have ever bought off and provided an email address to. If you did, its easy to mark them as spam/junk, and you won't see many more.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. I would say if you were doing a medium sized shop with them, you would be missing out on a decent chunk of savings, just because you refuse to get the card.

But hey, each to their own.

• Advertisement

It is the full list on Tesco Ireland website of Clubcard discounted beer \ wine \ spirits that I'm drawing a blank on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In fairness that wine is barely worth the discounted price and was 8.65 two weeks ago. You'd be some gobsh*te to pay 17 euro for it. Domaine Arnaud is a Tesco only brand

Aldi has the best value (quality per euro) wine imo - check the quality of what you're looking at using the vivino app (take a pic of bottle) and anything over 3.7 out of 5 is a good wine.

a fair number of decent options even from as low as 8 euro for a very drinkable wine.

Tesco with their fake price decreases on wine is just obfuscation designed to appeal to people who "have to have a bargain"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭sully123

Tonic water! Really?

Tesco tonic and soda water 25c up to 35c

I didn't order from Tesco this week.

I bought my crumbed ham slices in Aldi (for €2.29)

And my bin liners too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I wish Lidl did Click and Collect.

I checked this after I posted last week, and forgot to update. I was right there are 2 different sized sandwich lettuce. 260g for 89c and another one 140g for 1.09 amazing value.

The wraps I usually buy up another 10c this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Are Tesco similar to dunnes now for strawberries?

Its was 2 x punnets for €5 but now it’s 2 for €5.50. Another 10% increase

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just back from hols in the states and noticed a lot of increases on my work lunch shop on monday morning in Tesco. Thought the price of stuff in the US was pretty crazy though in comparison, punnet of fruit $5, nachos $5 etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

You have almost certainly paid Tesco more over the years by being "loyal" than you have ever made back in discounts. This is how they sucker people in to the physical shop and once you're in they will have targeted deals just for you, ready to pounce on your innate human desire to impulse buy those great deals. They know when (which days sell more impulses) and where (how high on the shelf/ products located after certain staples) to place these products and how to arrange them for maximum influence. They know this because they track you with your clubcard, they know your age profile, how near you live etc. and they know when you are most susceptible. Now they also track individual credit/debit card purchases and how loyal that card is but it will not have the same effectiveness as a clubcard.

During the pandemic the big supermarkets found it incredibly difficult to do the same level of targeted impulse selling online as they did in store, to the tune of an overall ~€600m difference in spending habits by customers who moved online in the UK. I would argue this new clubcard exclusive scheme is probably designed to capture that impulse market in the online shoppers. In fact it will probably be even more nefarious because it is much easier to send targeted ads online than in store.

"Research developed by Aragoncillo and Orús (2018) reveal that 40.0% of consumers spend more money than planned in physical stores compared to 25.0% in online purchases."

Now if you are a strict shopper who brings a list and only buys what's on the list then maybe you've gotten your money's worth over the years. But it's much more likely that you've lost those savings back to the company because you have succumb to their incredibly effective marketing tricks, borne out of the analysis of shopper's spending habits.

@Irish_wolf that's interesting analysis. It would explain the initial Clubcard discounts that Tesco introduced in the pandemic. There was a small list of items with much bigger than normal discounts applied. It was a small enough list they could promote it as a headline discount. As a click collect shopper I always reviewed that list.

Now though, the Clubcard discounts are just the usual Tesco discounts. There's so many of them, you won't scan them on the chance of picking up a big bargain. Maybe down the line they will have targeted marketing. But I've seen no signs of, so they seem to have jumped the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭brodsy

Back to price increases...

Rudd's black pudding gone from €2.19 to €2.39

Goods bag of fresh salmon portions gone from €10 to €15

Tesco own brand mouthwash gone from.65c to €1

Felix cat food goes up weekly with them 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

My sister lives in the States, she has resorted to making her own cat food as she says it's no longer affordable in the shops 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

do you not do a "feel test" 😂 If you know your "feel" you will get 7 or 8 packs in an Aldi Variety 6 Pack. If you are really lucky, you will get 9 😁

If you look at all the items increasing prices they all involve key ingredients that have gone up in price around the world or are commodities which are subject to an international market (just like oil, coal, soy beans etc) . Butter is also a commodity and currently trades at €725 per 100kg, so unless this starts dropping, butter will be close to €5.

Last year it was €400/100kg and in 2020 it was €350 av.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/food-farming-fisheries/farming/documents/eu-dairy-commodity-prices_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 82,323 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tesco Finest Irish Angus Road Beef, went from €2.99 or buy 2 for €5, now priced at €3.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

16 cent, price of fuel etc that’s not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I've pretty much decided I won't shop in Tesco anymore. Their prices are bordering on ridiculous now.

I went in at the weekend specifically for a cheap pizza around 3 euro and they had none, only the smallish goodfellas sized ones. The rest, bigger ones were all around 5.50. Lidl for example have ones for around 2.70

They won't be funding their 10% staff payrise out of my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

My local petrol station is 12% cheaper than tesco, dunnes on bread (800g) wholemeal. Amazing as petrol station owner is not shy about upping his prices, maybe he's too busy changing the prices on petrol/diesel boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭con747

It depends on your Tesco, you can buy pizza's from €1 in my local store https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/299425011 and no shortage of pizza's in the 2-4 euro range. Prices are going crazy though on a lot of products.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement