Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Can you make your own, a blender, oats and water or am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭con747

@crayon80 posted this on post #1172 about making it yourself.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭EarWig

Yes @walterking does come across like an apologist for the supermarkets.

If you take the Aldi accounts with about a 2.5% margin, then that is low enough. It's a long time since I've seen stats but I did read once that supermarket margins in the UK typically ranged between 2-6% and moved in cycles. The US was about 1-3%.

So, I would concede that supermarkets are not making super-normal profits on the back of the pricing flexibility caused by high inflation. The problem is the lack of differentiation in the Irish market. Both Lidl and Aldi now have fancy shops with a wide range of products and a heavy focus on branded goods.

What's missing is the basic shop, with limited range, and low prices. Oh, and only one till open.

Aldi may have a low margin, but it now has a high cost base.

It's frustrating for customers getting hit by soaring food inflation right at the time that Lidl and Aldi have pivoted from a low price to build market share strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,793 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

what's the point of a thread without any form of balance?

Most people like to know if there's a genuine reason for a price increase. Others stick their heads in the sand and repeat "it's the retailer, it's the retailer, it's the retailer"

As for your post. Tesco give the sales figure for Republic of Ireland, but because there's a lot of shared costs in the UK/Ireland operation, its not feasible to give a profit figure. But their overall profit for UK/Ireland is 2% which is very low for a retailer. Whereas the net after tax profit margin of Unilever has SOARED to over 14%.

Evan a primary school child can see who is doing the price gouging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Yeah thanks for pointing this out :). They just look smaller in the pack

Ah, so someone that has an understanding of commodity and forex markets and how it affect pricing is an apologist?

Seriously?

Check my posts on oil prices & coal prices. I reckon my accuracy level is 80%+ on prices rising and falling. (Don't buy coal until at least August unless you have to).

A huge number of normal everyday foodstuffs are priced on the commodity market (just like oil, coal & gas) and that's the price the first producer pays.

Butter, Eggs, Chicken, Pork, Beef, Oats, Soy beans, Tea, coffee, milk, sugar, orange juice. corn, wheat etc all are priced on an international basis. Price changes make their way along the supply chain and in a lot of cases you can forecast the price changes - up and down.

Many commodities (not all) are priced in US dollars. the dollar went as high as USD 95c/€1 and that caused huge price pressures. It back at $1.10/€1, so that is taking heat out of price rises.

My sincere apologies for giving an explanation.

Caped crusader.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

I take it you cannot give Tesco's profits for Ireland so? In that case I will believe what has been said for a long time that they see Ireland as a cash cow. You don't do balanced by the way, you do defend the increases. On a lighter note, who is "Evan a primary school child". Back to your old way's I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭vafankillar

a load of bs as usual blaming the public instead of record profits for ceos/share holders.

similar nonsense happened when chapters closed down after the pandemic. 2021 was actually a record year for physical books sale in stores in ireland but as usual people believed the crocodile tears even tho the owner was simply deciding to sell & retire lol

supermarkets made record profits during huge parts of the pandemic when they were the only things open and everyone working locally from home ratther than in dublin city, there was no going back from that afterwards, the way to keep it that high was to simply raise the prices.

• Advertisement

can you show any figures where you can prove Ireland is a "cash cow" these days?.

They certainly made better profits before the 2007 crash when prices were substantially higher than the UK and the media simply used this metric to state there were excess profits.

There's little difference between UK & Ireland these days, so that argument based on those figures is nullified and the huige growth in competition from Aldi, Lidl & Dealz has kept prices down

And yes, anyone with a shred of intelligence can see that grocery conglomerates that INCREASED profits in the past 12 months by over 50% to an eye watering 14.2% NET profit after tax are the ones taking advantage especially when a retailers profit has FALLEN 50% to just 2% net profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

I take that as a no, you can't give Tesco's Irish profits. Now, if they are making low profits or even losing money they would have no issue reporting that now would they. Keep up the condescending remarks now won't you. Last time I'll bother with you with my couple of brain cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

From the Indo ... "The grocer recorded group sales of £57.7bn (€65.6bn) for the year. This marked an increase of 5.3pc on a constant currency basis from the prior year.

Irish sales rose 3.3pc across the supermarket’s financial year to £2.6bn (€3bn) on a like-for-like basis"

I read that article last week, they don't say anything about the Irish profits they make though, combining Ireland and the UK profits only. It would be interesting to see the Irish profits they are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭crayon80

24 birds eye chicken nuggets €7.65. Currently 5€ clubcard price but that's the regular price. So €20/kg for nuggets that are only 51% chicken.

A massive increase on the hearty foods pepperoni pizza. That one for 61c (as far as I remember)....now €1.25. More than doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Have them Hearty Food pizzas gotten smaller? Picked up one today to have in the freezer and thought it looked smaller. Checked the back and it's 314g.

The Carlos one on Aldi is 349g.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭beachhead

BWG - wholesalers for Spar are not exactly cheap as chips and never have been.The reason why prices are so high in convenience stores is because the likes of BWG sell on to the individual stores at big mark ups-they do not pass on any benefits of their bulk buying to the stores

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Now I am not sure how beneficial this toothpaste must be, but I sincerely had to triple check I was reading it correctly: 10.50€ for 125ml - 84€ per litre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭maebee

That's crazy. I'm sure I've seen Oral-B for €2.50 in Dealz or Eurogiant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭gipi

Even Tesco's own brand basic toothpaste has gone up a lot - it used to sell for 55c before all the madness, it's now 1.50!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i use that colgate advanced toothpaste & while it's something i can usually wait around & only buy while it's on offer, they've changed something about it where it's feels like a cheaper product, hard to explain but less worth the money now.

3.49 for 75ml in aldi, so about 5.50 for comparable ml

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-pro-expert-professional-protection-toothpaste-75ml-oral-b/5013965948428

Anyone that buys full price toiletries or washing powders in Dunnes or tesco are off their rocker. If the offers they have on some items are not suitable there are 100+ Dealz stores in Ireland along with plenty of Mr Price and Eurogiant where you can get copious numbers of different branded toothpastes, deo, soaps, shower gels etc for €1.50-€3 that are more than sufficient.

If you have to have a particular brand / style / fragrance - well you need to change that in yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

tesco are a bigger ripoff by the day - pretty sure i saw a can of Dove Deo (250ml) for €9 this morn 😲 !! 9 feckin euro ffs for a can of spray ... €4.50 was 'clubcard' price 😂 🤣🤣 feckin gougers 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Onions now .99c for a net in Lidl

They were .69c only a couple of months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭gaming_needs90

People have absolutely lost the plot if they are buying Birds eye chicken nuggets. They deserve to be fleeced 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just for the benefit of anyone with a Prime account with Amazon. The Colgate toothpaste on Amazon is half of what Tesco is charging e.g. 4 x 100ml original costs £7.53 which is probably about 8.50 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Another price hike in ALDI. These protein mousses were €1.69 a couple of weeks ago but yesterday they are €1.99. The staff member told me there were 99c last year. I'd love to see a price comparison of the food staples and the increases across the supermarkets since last year, I should have done that myself 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Any chance of us seeing a slight reduction in milk prices like they have in the UK? They said it was because of annual over production of milk in spring when the cows get back out to the fields eating fresh grass. Presumably its the same here?

• Advertisement

UK is still more expensive than here for 1L of milk. 2 pints (1.13L) went to £1.30/£1.35 and is now £1.25 (€1.40 - equiv to €1.24 for 1L - price here is €1.15)

There was no increase here since the end of last July. At that point farm gate price had just hit 50c. It rose to 64c and has now dropped to 48p - about the same price as last July.

But I suspect someone will move a bit to get the publicity

Advertisement