Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

30c increase on Dunnes stores own brand cooked meats across the board. Gone from €2.99 to €3.29

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Potatoes are up everywhere as this year's harvest suffered due to a crap summer weather-wise. Simple supply/demand economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,659 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some idiots in the media seem to think that a reducing rate of inflation means prices fall. It means no such thing. It just means that prices are rising more slowly than before. But it seems a basic grasp of maths or science rules you out from a job in RTE or any Irish newspaper.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Some would think that the idiots are the ones who think the media don't know exactly what they're doing 🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

My daughter asked me to get her a bag of chips on the way home on Friday night. I called into a local chipper and they filled the bag and said "€4.50"

I said "sorry, I just wanted the regular portion, not the extra large". They said "that is the regular portion, the price has gone up".

I nearly choked. I'm sure the regular was only €3.30 just a few weeks ago, then it went to €3.80. (Large was €4.50) Now the regular is €4.50. I remember when a regular bag of chips was €2.50 and its not that long ago.

Spuds have gone up twice in the supermarket in the last few weeks too.

• Advertisement

Some idiots in the media seem to think that a reducing rate of inflation means prices fall. It means no such thing. It just means that prices are rising more slowly than before.

This is a good point, and well worth remembering. I haven't seen any price reductions worth talking about. I won't be holding my breath for any, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭horse7

When they have a good crop they never go down.

€4.50 for a bag of chips is outrageous. My local chipper has gone up to €3.50 and that seems high.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,037 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No that's just the convenient excuse. Prices are coming down across the board on products (certainly in our industry), problem is the end user just gets used to it and it gets baked in. It's hard to drop a price as a business if you don't have to.

The reality is, supermarkets made eye watering profits during the pandemic as they were the only businesses open freely for nigh on 2 years, they weren't going back on them. You also have too little competition here and these "price matches" are nothing more than a price cartel.

We are out the other side of inflation now yet prices are up on a number of regular items I purchase every week in Aldi/Lidl.

All the players are happy with the status quo, there isn't any new chain coming in so why would anyone upset the apple cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭jj880

In Aldi today. Everything up again. Madness. The only thing theyve kept the same price from what I can see is bogroll. 9 rolls for 2.29.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,353 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

how are you getting markup figures? are you privy to this info or just meaning something else like an increase in (attempted) selling price.

McDonalds chips dropped in price this year, I was very surprised to see it, still very expensive but they did go up and then down.

Notably each McDs is a franchise, and can charge different prices.

For instance, the drive thru at Citywest charges 40c more for a large fries than the Belgard Road drive thru, and their coffees are 20c dearer.

And the prices have been rising steadily in both branches!

Post edited by Ezeoul on

The price was marked up by that amount. You know exactly what I meant.

McDonalds[sic] don't sell chips, unfortunately.

I can only suggest you google both terms to find out the common usage... and maybe search to see where .ie sites are likely to be talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’ve noticed super valu seem to be in a bit of a retreat mood in relation to closing stores? I’m not surprised as I do find them very expensive and the food offering hit or miss. Market cross, Kilkenny and Ballymun are two latest I heard of. Other closures I’ve seen in cork, Clonmel and Carlow a few years back too. All fairly substantial outlets

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If I’m not mistaken, the Fairy non-bio pods XL Pack has gone from 63 to 53 pods. Not seeing a reduction in price bar when on ‘offer’

• Advertisement

I was last in Market Cross a couple of years ago, the whole centre had the stench of death off it. Whole place probably getting knocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

SuperValu has just jacked up own brand prices on stuff

Ginger nuts almost doubled in price

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

Got a shock in Aldi & Lidl yesterday, sugar up to €1.75, it was €1.59 up from the .99cents it was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,765 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Orange Juice 1l was 79c 85c €1.15 that's ↑ 35%. Some have also ↑ Apple Juice 1l to €1.15

though Aldi is still 79c, so stock up!

The Guardian - Orange juice prices to surge as US crops ravaged by disease and climate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭gipi

I was in Lidl yesterday for the first time in over 2 weeks (was on hols, so no shopping needed).

I found my cereal (their special k equivalent) had gone up by 10c to 1.29, tissues had gone up by 20c to 1.19, soya milk up 4c to 89c. Noticed other items had crept up too.

The shops might be patting themselves on the back by keeping the basics (milk, bread and butter) reduced, but they're getting it back in spades elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thats interesting.

Not sure if they are opening new stores to offest this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I noticed yesterday that Tesco own brand frozen diced onions have gone up from 54c to €1 some time in the last few weeks. Looks like the rest of the frozen vegetables have gone up too, I rarely buy others but they do look to be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭crayon80

Tinned peaches in Tesco were 55c or 59c, now 99c.

I found a new 50c penne pasta in lidl, cheapest per kg at the moment and i think they're all the same. I brought it in another lidl 2 days later and it was up to 59c.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think they work best in suburban locations and small rural towns with a captive audience. Another on in athy did close back a few years ago too.

They made a bad go of taking over Superquinn in my opinion- that had a loyal customer base with slightly more disposable income and if they’re anything like me did not stay with super valu after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,765 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Penne still 55c in T

Advertisement